Led Zeppelin vs. Metallica in ESPN'S Rock Brackets

Strider

Okay, so I usually am the first to complain about whatever stupid poll Rolling Stone or NME runs about "greatest this or that", but I realize that there are many here, especially the younger generations, who do love to show their love for Led Zeppelin by voting in whatever poll is happening at the moment.

Well, kiddos, that moment now happens to be at the sports network, ESPN, where one of their radio hosts, Colin Cowherd, has made up a Rock Bracket much in the manner of the NCAA Basketball brackets. It appears the voting has been going on for some time as they are in the 3rd round already.

Led Zeppelin has made it past Nickelback(WTF!) and the Allman Brothers and are now doing battle with Metallica.

Queen is duking it out with the Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam is trying to upset the Beatles(as if) and it's the Mods(The Who) vs. the Psychedelic Freaks(Pink Floyd) along with several other battles...AC/DC vs. Nirvana; Guns n Roses vs. Van Halen.

Here's the link to the bracket(you will notice some curious omissions...Nickelback, 311 and Creed, but NO Radiohead, Yes or CCR?)where you can vote and see the results of the earlier rounds:

ESPN's Herd Rock Brackets

I should think Led Zeppelin wouldn't need much help in defeating Metallica but you never know about sports audiences...the demographic probably skews towards that Metallica/G n R/AC/DC crowd.

So if you like participating in these things...get out and vote. Vote early and often. I gotta think Led Zeppelin makes the semi-finals at least.

Interesting how this is playing out - and a bit surprising to me!

It's Led Zeppelin versus and the Stones

and

Aerosmith versus The Beatles.

And the current voting looks like the final will be LZ versus the Fab Four...which has always been MY quandry! Greatest rock band ever? If I can count the Beatles as a "pop" band, it's an easy question, but The Beatles were a rock band too!

Decisions, decisions......

Why anyone would think of The Beatles as a pop band is ridiculous. :nuke:

They are and will always be as much so of a rock band as Led Zeppelin. Probably thought of as a pop band by certain individuals (on here and elsewhere) because the amount of top 40 singles they scored.

You can certainly state many reasons why the Beatles would be #1. The Zeppelin arguments are thus:

The Beatles stopped touring when they hit their "rock" phase, how would their concerts compare to LZ concerts...winner Zep.

Zeppelin produced and played every note of every song (except 2 songs). George Martin played a huge role in the Beatles music...and they certainly incorporated many musicians in the studio. ...winner Zep.

You can certainly state many reasons why the Beatles would be #1. The Zeppelin arguments are thus:

The Beatles stopped touring when they hit their "rock" phase, how would their concerts compare to LZ concerts...winner Zep.

Zeppelin produced and played every note of every song (except 2 songs). George Martin played a huge role in the Beatles music...and they certainly incorporated many musicians in the studio. ...winner Zep.

Rock n' roll isn't a competition.

Why anyone would think of The Beatles as a pop band is ridiculous. :nuke:

They are and will always be as much so of a rock band as Led Zeppelin. Probably thought of as a pop band by certain individuals (on here and elsewhere) because the amount of top 40 singles they scored.

Paul McCartney said they were a pop band, that good enough for you?

All this polles are pointless and do not reffer a coherent result about the "best" rock band. Its a matter of flavor, ect.

I know a guy that says Floyd are greater than zeppelin. i know, its so flown. and that proofs what Jahfin said: Rock n' roll isnt a competition. Although - Zeppelin is the Best. cool.gif

Rock n' roll isn't a competition.

If they can turn everything having to do with food into a competition, you can certainly turn R & R into a competition. Furthermore, many of the musicians did feel competitive with each other. The only problem is that you can't really determine a winner....it's all subjective when it comes to breaking down the great bands.

Paul McCartney said they were a pop band, that good enough for you?

There was definitely an element of "Pop" to the Beatles, that goes without saying. However, there's two sides to the Pop thing, one is that it's a shortened version of the word "Popular". The other is a kind of music known as "Pop" or more specifically, "Power Pop" that applies to everyone from the Beatles to Big Star. I think the argument grew out of someone saying the Beatles were not a "Rock n' Roll" band. That they were and then some.

Well losing to the Beatles is no disgrace. Rather surprised that Led Zeppelin beat the sacred Rolling Stones to even get to the final.

In the media it always seems to be the Beatles and the Stones. This, and other poll results similar to this, as well as sales figures, etc. suggest that to the people at large, it is really the Beatles and Zeppelin that are #1 & 2.

And technically no, r n r ain't a competition. But you can't tell me the Beatles and Stones (and even the Beach Boys) didn't feel competitive with each other.

Or to pick a more recent vintage, Oasis and Blur in the 90's had at it a few times, as did Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols.

Lastly, like I said, it's all silly and doesn't matter...except for this: this poll was put on by ESPN and it's possible the executives in charge could see the results and change what music is played during highlights and ad bumpers accordingly.

If that means less Journey then this poll will have already proved useful. I read the other day that Don't Stop Believing is the #1 song on itunes for the past few years...I blame the Sopranos.

But given how early Journey was voted out maybe they'll think twice about playing them so much.

Archived