EUTHANASIA

Fool In The Rain 60

Should Euthanasia / Assisted Suicide be made Legal around the World or do you think that it is Morally wrong?

In Switzerland the Swiss have recently Voted on this very subject, and they voted to keep the Law as it is.

Over the last Decade Dignitas have only helped about 1,000 foreigners to end their lives.

There is Obviously a need for this service is it right that people that are already ill, have to make this type of journey.

It would be much kinder to allow someone to Die in their own home with their loved ones around them, at a time of their choosing.

I for one would vote YES if we got the choice.

Should Euthanasia / Assisted Suicide be made Legal around the World or do you think that it is Morally wrong?

In Switzerland the Swiss have recently Voted on this very subject, and they voted to keep the Law as it is.

Over the last Decade Dignitas have only helped about 1,000 foreigners to end their lives.

There is Obviously a need for this service is it right that people that are already ill, have to make this type of journey.

It would be much kinder to allow someone to Die in their own home with their loved ones around them, at a time of their choosing.

I for one would vote YES if we got the choice.

Only if its "Her Indoors" :lol:

Very Kind Retards, Danny

Definitely yes, although we would have to have watertight legislation to stop it being abused by family members who want to dispose of a relative who becomes an 'inconvenience'.

My step-mother died last year after suffering from a chronic lung condition. During the last 24 hours of her life she couldn't breathe and was begging the doctor to help her end it all. She was the one who had to remove her oxygen mask and die. Most of us wouldn't let our pets suffer like this. I believe we should be entitled to the same dignity and compassion in death as them.

Also I don't think it's right to prosecute people who participate in the assisted suicide of loved ones.

Fool, if only we'd been able to have a referendum on an important issue like this rather than the alternative vote.

Definitely yes, although we would have to have watertight legislation to stop it being abused by family members who want to dispose of a relative who becomes an 'inconvenience'.

My step-mother died last year after suffering from a chronic lung condition. During the last 24 hours of her life she couldn't breathe and was begging the doctor to help her end it all. She was the one who had to remove her oxygen mask and die. Most of us wouldn't let our pets suffer like this. I believe we should be entitled to the same dignity and compassion in death as them.

Also I don't think it's right to prosecute people who participate in the assisted suicide of loved ones.

Fool, if only we'd been able to have a referendum on an important issue like this rather than the alternative vote.

Agree with every word.This is obviously a very delicate subject but the existing law has to change.

It already is legal in the medical community, and anyone who has had a relative in hospice knows that to be true. Most of the drugs that are given to comfort a patient in that situation are designed to eventually kill you. A drug cocktail containing Dualid is designed to dehydrate the body, and if you aren't eating or receiving liquids intraveneously, that process happens very quickly. With all the increases in health care deductibles and co-pays, most insurance companies still offer Hospice care at no charge for a certain length of time....and it doesn't matter if you choose to receive that service at home or in the hospital. Think about it.....being able to put someone down efficiently saves insurance companies lots of money.

I agree 100% Magic,

My mum passed away in 2005 from Lung Cancer. She wanted the end to be swift, but no they carted her off to hospital.

She was conscious of the fact that her body was going into shock and closing it's self down. But what did the Hospital do put her on a General ward, she was in terrible pain, they did give her some Morphine but said " She cannot have to much it will kill her" :wacko:

After 36 hours of pain and 2 rooms later they put her in a single room and fitted her with a Morphine Pump. And ineffect they did Assist her to die .

Why they prolonged the suffering is a mysterey to me, all she wanted to do was go home to her own bed slip away peacefully, had she asked me to aid her death I can honestly say that had I the means I would have helped her.

I think the problem that some people have with Euthanasia is more about how they will feel, rather than what the person is suffering.

I think the problem that some people have with Euthanasia is more about how they will feel, rather than what the person is suffering.

I think you are right about this. That's what most people have a problem with. Remember Jack Kevorkian and his assisted suicides. He went to prison because of this, which I felt was not justified

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Dr. Jack passed away. Ironic isn't it.

Having lost both of my parents (thankfully neither suffered very much in passing) I'm pretty sure I would have given consent if it had come to that If you love somebody, set them free.........when the time comes.

People with terminal illnesses are usually unable to 'do it with sytle'. This is a really serious issue and not one to be made light of.

Did any British members happen to see the extremely moving and controversial documentary Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die that was on the BBC on Monday? The documentary has only reinforced my view that euthanasia should be made legal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h78xGb83J8U&feature=related

People with terminal illnesses are usually unable to 'do it with sytle'. This is a really serious issue and not one to be made light of.

Did any British members happen to see the extremely moving and controversial documentary Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die that was on the BBC on Monday? The documentary has only reinforced my view that euthanasia should be made legal.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Hi 'Magic',

I haven't watched this Documentary yet, but back in 2009 I did see the moving story of Anne Turner played by Julie Walters.

Here is a clip of Anne Turners son talking to David Frost. it starts at about 3:52

After watching this how can anyone say Euthanasia is wrong.

Hi 'Magic',

I haven't watched this Documentary yet, but back in 2009 I did see the moving story of Anne Turner played by Julie Walters.

Here is a clip of Anne Turners son talking to David Frost. it starts at about 3:52

After watching this how can anyone say Euthanasia is wrong.

Hi Fool :wave:

Thanks for that video, I'm just going to watch it now.

You can see the Terry Pratchett documentary on the BBC iPlayer. I should warn you that it does contain a scene towards the end of someone actually taking their own life at the Swiss clinic Dignitas. I was rather shocked the BBC showed it, but I'm glad they did. There are a few seconds that are uncomfortable viewing, but compared to the other ways terminally ill people die, I think it's a very peaceful way to go.

While I can appreciate the BBC wanting to shed light on the issue of assisted suicide, and how to many people it's a more peaceful and dignified end than they'd be facing otherwise, I do have a slight problem with them basically showing someone's death on TV. I believe the point could have just as easily been made without that small bit of footage. Not in some "ZOMG WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!!?" sense, but in the sense that an actual live human being's death should not be broadcast on TV, whether they're taking their own life or someone is taking it for them.

For those who are not squeamish or otherwise squicked out by such things, do a Google search for Budd Dwyer. If you can, watch the accompanying video. That wasn't broadcast nationwide, just in the Pittsburgh area, but it was still aired on the local news that night, in varying degrees. One station aired the whole thing, audio and video, right until the end while several other stations aired the video up to a certain point then did a freeze-frame and went with audio the rest of the way. In either instance that was still someone's death aired on TV to millions of people at home.

While I can appreciate the BBC wanting to shed light on the issue of assisted suicide, and how to many people it's a more peaceful and dignified end than they'd be facing otherwise, I do have a slight problem with them basically showing someone's death on TV. I believe the point could have just as easily been made without that small bit of footage. Not in some "ZOMG WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!!?" sense, but in the sense that an actual live human being's death should not be broadcast on TV, whether they're taking their own life or someone is taking it for them.

For those who are not squeamish or otherwise squicked out by such things, do a Google search for Budd Dwyer. If you can, watch the accompanying video. That wasn't broadcast nationwide, just in the Pittsburgh area, but it was still aired on the local news that night, in varying degrees. One station aired the whole thing, audio and video, right until the end while several other stations aired the video up to a certain point then did a freeze-frame and went with audio the rest of the way. In either instance that was still someone's death aired on TV to millions of people at home.

Of course, the BBC received lots of complaints after showing the documentary. The actual death moment wasn't drawn out, and we didn't see the actual moment when he 'died', but rather the moment he slipped into a coma. When the camera returned to the man he was gone. There was no voyeurism whatsoever in the documentary like there seems to have been in the video you mention above. I didn't want to watch someone die, I missed the first few minutes of the documentary when the BBC issued its warning about 'disturbing images'. I probably would have switched the channels even though I'm interested in this debate. As I said above, I think the producers of the show made the right decision to show those scences. Watching them in the context of the documentary itself, the man who was dying was extremely open about sharing his experiences with the audience, and I suppose he wanted to take away some of the fear that people assoicate with the process of death, and show people in similar circumstances that there is a better way to go.

Terry Pratchett and the producer discuss their decision here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13763549

A difficult topic since there is almost no right or wrong answer. Nothing is either black or white when it comes to end of life.

For me the problem is that when you begin to attempt to legislate euthanasia, it becomes very tricky because there are so many shades of grey. Therefore I am against it.

I'm for assisted death . Both my parents died from cancer and both were diagnosed terminal right from the get go. Neither gave up hope but both were realistic enough to understand their situation and know what lay in store for them. Both, wrote legal living wills dictating exactly what they did and did not want. Once palliative/hospice care became necessary, a painless death shortly followed. None of us would have wanted it any other way and as much as I miss both of them, I have the comfort of knowing that neither of them suffered .

Having said that, I agree with Brad. Bringing legisltors into the mix would only cloud and confuse the issue. When it comes to terminal disease, a legal living will should be the only thing necessary.However, I have no definitive answer for other situations when accidents etc have left people on life support. But I'm convinced that politicians don't either .

Archived