Hall and Oates...

lzzoso

How many of you out there also love the songs of this "Dynamic Duo"? Daryl Hall and John Oates. I have to say that these two people have produced some of the Greatest POP songs of all-time.

"Sara Smile"

"Rich Girl"

"She's Gone"

"Maneater"

"I Can't Go for That"

"Kiss on My List"

"Private Eyes"

"You Make My Dreams Come True"...

Need I say more? I know that I am not the only Hall and Oates and Led Zeppelin fan out there?

They have a lot of great songs, and they did well in making the transition from the 70's to the 80's.

Daryl Hall has one of the best voices.

A few years back a group out of L.A. called Bird And The Bee did an album of Hall & Oats covers,

and they all sounded great with female vocals:

Hall and Oates were amazing. I think they get unfairly crapped on for being really popular in the early 80s and having a lot of MTV success, but they shouldn't get penalized because they wrote songs that people liked.

Sara Smile is probably my favorite songs of theirs.

Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley of the Drive-By Truckers praise Hall & Oates at nearly every opportunity. Personally, they were never my cup of tea but I have lots of friends (mainly musicians) who admire them.

Hall and Oates were amazing. I think they get unfairly crapped on for being really popular in the early 80s and having a lot of MTV success, but they shouldn't get penalized because they wrote songs that people liked.

Sara Smile is probably my favorite songs of theirs.

This is just for you Electrophile. Enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

Me! <raises hand>

Not only that, I love the sugary pop of 80s Hall & Oates. It's great songwriting, and as mentioned upthread, a lot of younger bands - The Bird & The Bee, Gym Class Heroes - and a ton of hip hop artists sample/cover/pay homage. Which is a pretty rousing endorsement. dry.gif

If anyone is in So Cal, Hall & Oates are playing the Hollywood Bowl's annual weekend-long 4th of July extravaganza. H&O will be joined by the orchestra - badass - plus fireworks. More info: http://www.hbowl.com/HallOates

(Full disclosure, I sometimes work with the Bowl. I stumbled across this forum while doing some excited-to-be-going-to-the-show websurfing and thought I'd share.)

I really like them, used to listen to them a lot in the 80s. In the mid-80's I asked Robert Plant to fill out a questionnaire for a project I was involved with and he answered the question "favourite singer" with "Darryl Hall" ( oh, and "favourite cartoon character" with "John Oates" :) )

*sp

Someone once explained to me the purpose Oates served, but I can't for the life of me remember. But he is clearly a contender in the top 10 'Does what, exactly?' chart, alongside:

Andrew Ridgeley (Wham!)

Linda McCartney (Wings)

Richey Edwards (Manic Street Preachers)

Bez (Happy Mondays)

The 'other two' Thompson Twins

That fucking mime Howard Jones used to have

Patricia Morrison (Sisters of Mercy)

Brian Jones

Sid Vicious

Someone once explained to me the purpose Oates served, but I can't for the life of me remember. But he is clearly a contender in the top 10 'Does what, exactly?' chart, alongside:

Andrew Ridgeley (Wham!)

Linda McCartney (Wings)

Bez (Happy Mondays)

Brian Jones

Sid Vicious

You have got to be kidding - try most of the lyrics, for a start.

You have got to be kidding - try most of the lyrics, for a start.

Yeah, but he nicked most of them from 'I'll Thcream and Thcream and Thcream: Extracts From An Imaginary Tortured Adolescence', by Violet Elizabeth Bott.

Granted though, he was pretty nifty when it came to cheap publicity stunts.

Andrew Ridgeley (Wham!)

Linda McCartney (Wings)

Bez (Happy Mondays)

Brian Jones

Sid Vicious

Brian Jones, the founding member of the Rolling Stones, played the sitar on Paint It Black.He is said to have taught Mick Jagger how to play harmonica. Brian played the slide guitar, dulcimer, marimba, harpsichord, saxophone, oboe, mellotron and autoharp on various songs released by the Rolling Stones, and he sang as a back-up vocalist for the group.

wiki

The 30-second "Rice Krispies" jingle for Kellogg's, co-written with the J. W. Thompson advertising agency in 1963 and performed by the Rolling Stones incognito was credited to Jones...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

However, in 1966 Jones composed, produced and played on the soundtrack to Mord und Totschlag (English title: A Degree Of Murder), an avant-garde German film with Anita Pallenberg. Guitarist Jimmy Page is one of the musicians Jones hired to play on the soundtrack.

Mord und Totschlag

Music by Brian Jones

English - A Degree of Murder

Français - Vivre à tout prix

* Brian Jones: sitar, organ, recorder, cello, banjo, harpsichord, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet, harmonica

* Jimmy Page: guitar

* Nicky Hopkins: piano

* Peter Gosling: vocals

* Kenney Jones: drums

* Glyn Johns: engineer

* Mike Leander, orchestra

• 2 weeks later...

Good duo in the beginning, later WIMPED out big time esp in the silly 80s :):):):)

The only thing "silly" is your silly 80's-paranoid-phobia.

By the way, Hall & Oates KILLED IT at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday night! Yeah, I "SPONTANEOUSLY" switched my plans for the 4th, so I went to the show on the 3rd instead. Great setlist...great band...great fireworks!

Considering some of the people who ARE in, tell me again why Hall & Oates are NOT in the R n R Hall of Fame?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived