What's the worst 'Biggest Band In The World' there's ever been?

bouillon

Yes, it's venting time again.

IMO, you can probably take your pick of anyone - with the possible exception of the criminally underrated Green Day - who has held that accolade over the past 10-15 years, but I don't even know who most of them are/were. I just don't care anymore, but please feel free to include some recent monstrosities.

I'm thinking here primarily of the Golden Age Of Rock, which ended a long time ago. My vote has already gone elsewhere to Dire Straits. To understand why, just take a look at any of their Brothers In Arms-era concert videos, and behold the absurdly beatific expressions on the faces of their 'Another boy for Jesus' fans. Talk about blind and unjustified devotion - shit, these kids look like they've been brain-washed, or more likely had their brains sucked out of their ears.

Another wretched period was the Q magazine-sponsored lionisation of the the anodyne trio of U2 / REM / Crowded House. Q never could seem to decide who was the best, and I'm damned if I know, but for me, this era represented the nadir of rock. That's not to say that the bands themselves were worthless - they all had their moments, for sure - but the fact that they were widely considered to be the best was an utter negation of the true spirit of rock.

Hit it....

Difficult choice. It would have to be someone I don't like (Biased, I know)............but then I would not consider xxxx to be in the Biggest Band category. Bon Jovi, Queen, ELO Kiss, Journey maybe ....Anything else MOR-AOR......anyone who has recorded a Dianne Warren song ..........What makes an act fit the BBITW bill anyway... Personal Opinon, Record/ticket sales, media coverage ?

Difficult choice. It would have to be someone I don't like (Biased, I know)............but then I would not consider xxxx to be in the Biggest Band category. Bon Jovi, Queen, ELO Kiss, Journey maybe ....Anything else MOR-AOR......anyone who has recorded a Dianne Warren song ..........What makes an act fit the BBITW bill anyway... Personal Opinon, Record/ticket sales, media coverage ?

It's just a gut feeling, jtm. I'm not expecting anyone to do any heavy research for this.

It could even be a band you once liked, but who only achieved mega-stardom after they turned to crap - Metallica with the Black Album, for example.

It's just a gut feeling, jtm. I'm not expecting anyone to do any heavy research for this.

It could even be a band you once liked, but who only achieved mega-stardom after they turned to crap - Metallica with the Black Album, for example.

OK I'll go with SAJ....Nirvana.

60s - The Beatles

70s - (Can't really decide as I like most of the big bands from this decade.)

80s - Guns N Roses

90s - Nirvana or Oasis

00s - The Strokes or Coldplay

Good call for the 00s. I'll add Kings Of Leon to that, if they're big enough.

You're right about the 70s. I don't think there are many candidates from that decade, but I'd like to offer one: Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac. Toe-curling, coked-out bullshit. Ah, but what about the divine Ms Nicks, I hear you say? Isn't she enough to get them off the meat-hook?

NO.

Not quite the biggest in the world thankfully but I'd mention Mumford and Sons, hidious souless "pikey indie" blandness just waiting to be sold to a multinational ad campaign.

Love them. I know of at least a couple of friends that weren't exactly crazy about them either. Then, they saw them in concert and completely changed their minds.

I disagree with so many of these - but I guess I have to contain myself and remember that this thread is all about personal opinion. B)

Couple of bands that I DETEST but seemed to be hugely-loved are Bon Jovi and Guns'n' Roses.

Good call for the 00s. I'll add Kings Of Leon to that, if they're big enough.

You're right about the 70s. I don't think there are many candidates from that decade, but I'd like to offer one: Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac. Toe-curling, coked-out bullshit. Ah, but what about the divine Ms Nicks, I hear you say? Isn't she enough to get them off the meat-hook?

NO.

I'd put them on the same kind of level as Boston personally, the big album was bland in places but had a few great cheesey rock athemes(Go Your On Way, More Than A Feeling, The Chain, Longtime etc).

The Stones in the late 70's are probabley the best candibates if you ask me when people still took the "biggest rock and roll band in the world" label semi seriously. The other name that springs to mind is ELP although I spose thats more down to there image of excess rather than really being sucessful on the level of the very biggets bands.

Edited by greenman

I'm not sure how "big" they were but I'm surprised this thread has come this far without a single mention of this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxGGckAc1rs

Sorry, nowhere near big enough.

But you're right, they were an abomination. Their only success was in being even more unacceptable than their progenitors, which was no mean feat.

Couple of bands that I DETEST but seemed to be hugely-loved are Bon Jovi and Guns'n' Roses.

Gotta agree with these two. Another band I couldn't stand was Motley Crue :thumbdown:

Someone else mentioned them but, Bon Jovi. How anyone could take them seriously always escaped me completely. The worst part is now he's trying to be another Jersey guy going home again...............God help us all.

I'd mention Queen but once upon a time (their first two albums) I actually liked them somewhat.

Bon Jovi is fantastic if you DON'T take them seriously. They are good at what they do; bombastic arena rock. Their songs are fun, catchy as hell, and total fluff.

Re: Jahfin, I hate We Built This City, but for some reason I've always liked Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now. I listen to it and try to pretend I don't hear Grace Slick singing, and it makes it more palatable.

R.E.M. for me. I am also going to throw in Pearl Jam. I loved them back in their first two or three discs, but Vedder's droning voice just grates on me anymore. Same for R.E.M., Stipe's voice just kills everything!

KISS. I can't stand them! My hubby tries at least once a year to convince me of how great they are. I remember when they took off the make-up...ugh. Yuk is right.

And is there anything Gene Simmons won't put the KISS name on?

Edited by SummrMoon