What's the worst 'Biggest Band In The World' there's ever been?

bouillon

Personally, I would add bands like Oasis, Maroon 5, The Kings of Leon, Coldplay, Tokio Hotel and Muse to this category B) I am not quite sure if these bands can be classified as "the biggest bands in the world", but in terms of factors like record sales, they do seem very very popular.

I, 100% disagree when bands like Queen and Bon Jovi are placed in this category but hey, each to his own ;):peace:

Personally, I would add bands like Oasis, Maroon 5, The Kings of Leon, Coldplay, Tokio Hotel and Muse to this category B) I am not quite sure if these bands can be classified as "the biggest bands in the world", but in terms of factors like record sales, they do seem very very popular.

I, 100% disagree when bands like Queen and Bon Jovi are placed in this category but hey, each to his own ;):peace:

Noooooo :o (JK!) Love 'em for what they are, but I don't consider them a rock band.

Agree with Kings of Leon and Coldplay. I'm still not sure how I feel about Muse; really enjoyed seeing them live, but they're a little too much like Coldplay, who I don't really care for.

Even though they would not even qualify, in my opinion, as being in the top 500 bands, I would have to say r.e.m.. I just cannot stand anything about them. Nothing. I have said before that I realize that John Paul Jones did some arrangements on a couple of their songs, however, even with the help of Jonesy, I still cannot stand the music of r.e.m.. Michael Stipe is about the most ridiculous frontman/singer of all-time.

After r.e.m., I would have to add U2 into this mix. The only worthy U2 song that I can tolerate is "Bullet the Blue Sky" and only because it seems to me to have a definate "Zeppelinesque" influence/sound. I have never seen any music/guitarists polls that even mention the Edge as a great guitar player. That being said, I really can't stand singers who are, or get, too political and/or consider themselves more of a humanitarian than a singer. Don't get me wrong, humanitarianism is a good thing, but not the way Bono goes about it. If he wants to try and save the Earth, or at least the unfortunate peoples of Africa or wherever, then I think he should donate his own monies to the appropriate places, which I do not think he would ever do.

Just my honest opinion.

^ Although they are superficially very different bands, U2 and REM actually have quite a lot in common:

• Preachy / overly 'worthy' frontmen who are impossible to take seriously
  • Instantly recognisable sounds which, try as they might, neither has managed to transcend without ending up sounding like a self-parody
  • Lame guitarists
  • Haven't made a decent album since the 80s

I actually have far more of their albums than I would be comfortable admitting, but I don't play them any more, and probably never will.

To recap on the thread so far:

I think it is very telling that few people have chosen bands from the 70s. This is more proof, if any were really needed, that the 70s was the indisputable Golden Decade for rock, a time when the top bands were eager to evolve and to compete with their peers to deliver challenging and rewarding albums. Few if any bands since the 80s have been able or willing to do this. These days, it seems that all they want to do is present their signature sound, and then spend the next xx years and albums rehashing it and raking in the cash until they fall out of favour with the genre-hopping fashionistas.

I'm genuinely surprised at the negativity towards Nirvana, but I'm guessing that it's an age thing, and that a lot of it is coming from reactionary old farts who got old before their time, and were already borrowing their parents' pipes and slippers before they hit their 30s...?

I think it is very telling that few people have chosen bands from the 70s. This is more proof, if any were really needed, that the 70s was the indisputable Golden Decade for rock, a time when the top bands were eager to evolve and to compete with their peers to deliver challenging and rewarding albums. Few if any bands since the 80s have been able or willing to do this. These days, it seems that all they want to do is present their signature sound, and then spend the next xx years and albums rehashing it and raking in the cash until they fall out of favour with the genre-hopping fashionistas.

I'm genuinely surprised at the negativity towards Nirvana, but I'm guessing that it's an age thing, and that a lot of it is coming from reactionary old farts who got old before their time, and were already borrowing their parents' pipes and slippers before they hit their 30s...?

I don't think it tells you much about the quality of music on offer but rather who was having the most sucess, the biggest bands of the 70's were generally some of the best where as much of the best music in the 80's was coming from the indie/alternative scene while the live aid set had most of the sucess.

Nirvana is I'd say more a case of the hype being so extreme, the cult of personality behind Cobain means there arguebley lionised more than anyone but the Beatels these days. Good music certainly but there are quite a few indie/alternative groups who were producing better in the same era for me, most obviously the Pixies.

I don't think it tells you much about the quality of music on offer but rather who was having the most sucess, the biggest bands of the 70's were generally some of the best where as much of the best music in the 80's was coming from the indie/alternative scene while the live aid set had most of the sucess.

Good point.

Nirvana is I'd say more a case of the hype being so extreme, the cult of personality behind Cobain means there arguebley lionised more than anyone but the Beatels these days. Good music certainly but there are quite a few indie/alternative groups who were producing better in the same era for me, most obviously the Pixies.

I'm not sure you can accuse Nirvana of being overly hyped at the time. From my POV, I had & liked Bleach from around the time it was released, although it was nothing particularly special for me. But when Nevermind came out, I think I bought it on the day of release, and on first listen it was obvious that it was a Major Event, and a vast progression on Bleach. When I woke up the next day, I was genuinely excited about playing it again, and that hadn't happened to me for a long time - nor since, as far as I recall.

Pixies? Hit & miss for me. Love most of Doolittle & some of the later stuff, but the early insanity was too much for me. But yeah, respect.

Not a "band" but I'm surprised Kid Rock hasn't been mentioned yet. I'd also put Creed up there.

I love R.E.M., U2 and Pearl Jam. Loved Kiss when I was much younger but then again they were the perfect soundtrack during those years.

I'd also put Creed up there.

As a brit I'v always been a little puzzeled as how much Creed are disliked, granted I'v had limated exposure to them but the likes of Higher and My Sacrifice strike me as very catchy rock tracks even with the rather rather blunt christian lyrics. Certainly much more listenable than alot of the bland grunge crap that was doing the rounds at the same time like Nickleback.

Are they vocal creationists or something?

I can't tell the difference between Creed, Nickelback, Kings of Leon, Hinder, etc.; they all sound the same to me. Just like the hair bands of the 80s all sounded alike too.

Kings of Leon sound absolutely nothing like those other bands you mentioned

Part of the problem is you put Bon Jovi in the same class as Queen. Bon Jovi are the epitome of a shitty hair band.

My personal choice would be Journey. I'm amazed at people in their late 40's/early 50's that still carry a torch for this band. There could be one original guy playing tambourine and they just don't care....IT'S JOURNEY MAN !.....and we can see Stynx and REO Speedwagon imitators on the same tour for only 10 bucks !!

Any band using the line "I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass" are alright with me.

I'll give Henley credit for that but the endless "farewell tours", overcharging for tickets (the Eagles paved the way), selling out to Wal-Mart (remember Henley's self-serving tirades against corporate greed?) and their more mediocre material ("Witchy Woman", "Take It To the Limit", etc.) that clogged the AM and FM airwaves in the 70s are what turned me off to them. I feel like their early material isn't bad but I'd sooner point to Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers (whom the Eagles were emulating) as the true pioneers of "country rock". I also don't mind some of their work during the Walsh years but I much prefer his tenure with The James Gang. Sadly, the James Gang seem to be largely forgotten. I thought their reunion shows from a few years back would bring more attention to them but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. There's a whole world of music of theirs out there to be discovered beyond "Walk Away" and "Funk #49" but that's all most people know thanks to Classic Rock radio.

Archived