Mild Earthquake Hits East Coast

Jahfin

Hi all,

As having been through of major earthquakes in CA: (1979),they didn't have an 'plan',hard to have one when the earth is moving,....

Planted,a few things to find out tomorrow: Age of the structure you and your patients are residing in.The clinics 'plan'.Evacuation procedures. Contingency plans in case of such.Communications.

KB

Sorry, I was reading and hit the wrong button. :P

Edited by Fan_S.

Off topic here, but I'm really worried about Irene. I live about 20 or so minutes from the ocean. I remember a couple years back in '04 I think we had Hurricane Isabel. BUt Irene is going to be more devastating I think. So I keep praying that we'll be okay.

We should probably start a thread for this, but make sure you are prepared for a couple of weeks without power (also clean water). Propane tanks for the grill should be filled, gas in the car, cash on hand, paper plates and plastic utensils, of course batteries for radios, canned foods, bottled water are all a must. You can also fill up the bathtubs for clean water. It may not be that bad, but people were caught off guard down here before and some were without power for a couple of weeks. So, prepare for the worst and hope for the best is the way to go! Good luck brotha! B)

Edit: make sure you have a regular can opener, and not electric, too!

Edited by Walter

Hurricane Irene has taken a more easterly track, so it appears that Florida/Georgia/SC/most of NC/most of Virginia will escape the brunt of the storm, but it looks poised to head up the coast to New England, so people up there should start paying close attention to the weather in the next few days.

Hi all,

The European model(meteorological) which have been the most accurate in predicting a storms path,says that the Mid-Atlantic states,for a change, will not bear the brunt of the storm(land fall). That may fall on NYC or the RI and eastern Massachusetts coasts.The last 'official' hurricane to hit MA. was in 1938,so maybe we are due.

Of course we got hit by the so-called No-Name storm in late Oct of 1991,.......depicted in the book and film 'The Perfect Storm'.

KB

i heard on the radio this am that it was headed toward the carolinas, but heard of folks preparing here on long island today. yeah 85 mile an hr winds and tide would be a major bad thing, especially at high tide.

in regards to the earthquake, i was working and just didnt notice it, but my customer had come back and she said she could feel it at the beach. at my bros house, the little chandelier was shaking and and his father in law from peru called that it was a earthquake before they put the tv on. he said that this earthquake here was like a wave, it had space in between the movements, where as in peru the earthquakes can be shuddering like a jack hammer and rattling everything really bad.

In California I've felt different types....

Ones that just go 'BOOM' and go on their way.

Ones that shake like you are slow dancing with someone.

Ones that just shimmy and shake everything.

The Loma Prieta was the first time I ever saw waves go by in the asphalt.

:D

Hi all,

The European model(meteorological) which have been the most accurate in predicting a storms path,says that the Mid-Atlantic states,for a change, will not bear the brunt of the storm(land fall). That may fall on NYC or the RI and eastern Massachusetts coasts.The last 'official' hurricane to hit MA. was in 1938,so maybe we are due.

Of course we got hit by the so-called No-Name storm in late Oct of 1991,.......depicted in the book and film 'The Perfect Storm'.

KB

There was also Hurricane Bob back in the early 90's as well. Most of the brunt was taken by RI, Cape Cod and the MA islands.

There was also Hurricane Bob back in the early 90's as well.  Most of the brunt was taken by RI, Cape Cod and the MA islands.
Bob was quick, short-lived and caused relatively little damage, even though Block Island, RI got 125 mph winds and the RI coast got 105mph winds ( I have personal pictures as the surge hit the shore and the trees lining the street less than ONE mile from the beach.). Some trees down, some structural damage, but it was minimal. That 'perfect storm' Anjin-San mentions was MUCH more destructive. 50mph winds for many days eroded beaches and wreaked havoc on areas that Bob only whisked. Anyone on Cape Cod, as I mentioned earlier should watch this one closely. Oh those on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket too. Get your clams and quahogs now, while you have a chance. :D