In Through The Out Door

This is true, But I think the positive influence Zeppelin had on the Seattle explosion in the early 90's really balanced out the crap that was going down in L.A. "hair metal" scene mid to late 80's.

Good point, snapper. I always have time for those Seattle bands - great to see Pearl Jam still chugging away and oh joy, ex-Screaming Trees Mark Lanegan's got a new LP coming out in February. Good shit out there.

@Rock_Historian - I dig your tastes and imagine you to be a bearded professorial sort with a pipe full of whacky baccy. Those 1980 certainly have a uniqueness to them; as I mentioned earlier in thread, there was some fire in the auld dinosaurs yet. Munich footage is ace - moustached Bonzo going ape shit about 5:15 is FAB!

Good point, snapper. I always have time for those Seattle bands - great to see Pearl Jam still chugging away and oh joy, ex-Screaming Trees Mark Lanegan's got a new LP coming out in February. Good shit out there.

@Rock_Historian - I dig your tastes and imagine you to be a bearded professorial sort with a pipe full of whacky baccy. Those 1980 certainly have a uniqueness to them; as I mentioned earlier in thread, there was some fire in the auld dinosaurs yet. Munich footage is ace - moustached Bonzo going ape shit about 5:15 is FAB!

@ Triple bass kick pedal...Thanks for the compliment my friend. I appreciate that. You must have good taste yourself, I imagine. But to alter your image of me, I do not grow a beard. But I do own a pipe, and stuff it with enjoyables from time to time.... ;)

As much as I love Bonzo's drumming, the majority of his Fool in the Rain drumming (except during the whistle blow break) is pretty much a note-for-note reproduction of the (Bernard) Purdie Shuffle. Purdie was a big (literally) studio session drummer. The only thing off the top of my head that shows a similarity would be Purdie's drumming on "Home At Last" on Steely Dan's Aja album. Not totally similar, but you can see where Bonzo got the inspiration.

As much as I love Bonzo's drumming, the majority of his Fool in the Rain drumming (except during the whistle blow break) is pretty much a note-for-note reproduction of the (Bernard) Purdie Shuffle. Purdie was a big (literally) studio session drummer. The only thing off the top of my head that shows a similarity would be Purdie's drumming on "Home At Last" on Steely Dan's Aja album. Not totally similar, but you can see where Bonzo got the inspiration.

Yes, Bonham was influenced by Bernard Purdie and that was obviously an inspiration to the song. Just as Jeff Porcaro borrowed licks from Fool in the Rain on Toto's "Rosanna" track. Regardless of Bonham's borrowed style on the track, it's very impressive. His work on this is very precise.

Bonzo loved the music of Supertramp, Abba, Toto, The Police, Steely Dan, Chicago and a list of others.. The guy had great taste in music and was very aware of what was going on at the time, as Im sure the rest of the band did.

http://youtu.be/pz2ooLWug34

Lot's of great songs. I'm disappointed with the guitar tone/playing intro to Hot dog and the guitar tone/playing for the break on Fool In the Rain.

Also, I wish they would've taken the sheen or gloss for lack of a better word off of the production (e,g all of my love, I'm gonna crawl).

Lot's of great songs. I'm disappointed with the guitar tone/playing intro to Hot dog and the guitar tone/playing for the break on Fool In the Rain.

Also, I wish they would've taken the sheen or gloss for lack of a better word off of the production (e,g all of my love, I'm gonna crawl).

I see what you mean about his tone. I thought that myself, but not on Fool in the Rain. I thought the pedal effect he used was pretty creative and it worked well with that song. Hot Dog however, does have a pretty twangy tone, but that's rockabily/country for ya. I did notice overall that his tone was different on the whole album from previous records. Maybe he was searching for a new sound? Who knows, but I really like the solo in I'm Gonna Crawl. All my Love was one to grow on for me, but I now think it's a really good song. If the guitar had just a bit more crunch in the heavy-middle break it would have added just a little more intensity to it, don't you think. Thats' cool to imagine.

Yeah, I guess he was searching for a new sound. I don't recall hearing this tone previously? From the couple of live 80s shows I've heard there is this same change in tone right? But for me I think the tone for the intro to Hotdog doesn't really work that well and I don't think the riff itself really is one of his best. I also don't care for the tone for the break in Fool in the Rain, and again i don't think this is really one of his best lead breaks either. I guess I would've preferred to hear Page strectch himself to a more latin type style/tone. I'm not familiar with the pedal effect that you're talking about, what pedal is that? But again I do really like the songs .

If Zep had done In through the Out door type material as their second album, do you think there would have been a third album?

I have no idea. Considering much of the technology used to record In Through the Out Door wasn't even present at the time, I'd say it would have been mindblowing, to say the least, to hear that album in 1969. Regardless, that wasn't even my point. My point was that Zeppelin was constantly changing and evolving with each new album and In Through the Out Door is a prime example of that.

I remember getting ITTOD, it had been years since Presence, and IMHO, the underwhleming TSRTS.

So I put that needle down and I get this weird Indian backwards sounding stuff...and then Plant moaning "in the evening" and then BOOM! And thinking holy snot, they've pulled it off, listen to this song just thunder along,wow!

Hot dog at first listen was like, huh. Country? Of course, today I love country music, so everyone changes with time.

Carouselambra was for me, too long.

All My Love sounded like a harder Barry Mannilow, and I remember being embarrassed for Zep for that tune.

Fast forward 30 plus years, and I pretty much like the whole album. To me ITE, SBS, FITR, and IGC are the great ones. I also thing Wearng would have made an excellen addition to the album (why not give us 8 songs instead of 7, there must have been enough room)?

Great discussion. Awesome to see all the differing opinions!

Very nice breakdown of ITTOD. It's nice to see others' opinions. I personally think ITTOD is an overlooked album. People always refer (people I talk to) to LZ, LZ II albums and so forth. Yes, mainstream songs are good, but if you really want to find what LZ is all about, you have to do some searching & I believe ITTOD has it that other's can't see.

IMO.

If Led Zeppelin had released ITTOD as their second album as opposed to LZ2 in 1969 they would have been viewed as GODS simply because of what would have been viewed as the use alien technology at the time. Now had Led Zeppelin released LZ2 in 1979 as their second album they would have been deemed totally redundant which is a view that was held by many at the actual time of ITTOD's 1979 release anyway, but it would have been justified as it would have been seen as no different than a typical Foghat album in the context of the time. I still don't hear any weak material on ITTOD, the negative reactions come down to preferences ie not enough guitar based hard rock. That's not a sign of weak material but the listeners preference and/or limitations.

If Led Zeppelin had released ITTOD as their second album as opposed to LZ2 in 1969 they would have been viewed as GODS simply because of what would have been viewed as the use alien technology at the time. Now had Led Zeppelin released LZ2 in 1979 as their second album they would have been deemed totally redundant which is a view that was held by many at the actual time of ITTOD's 1979 release anyway, but it would have been justified as it would have been seen as no different than a typical Foghat album in the context of the time. I still don't hear any weak material on ITTOD, the negative reactions come down to preferences ie not enough guitar based hard rock. That's not a sign of weak material but the listeners preference and/or limitations.

Agreed.

And why? Is it the material itself OR the heavy presence of keyboards over guitars? Also I'd say that Presence has as many mixed reviews for the lack of acoustic guitars & keyboards. And by an "earlier" album Presence would qualify as ITTOD was their last but also LZ3 has only in recent years gotten it's due, that wasn't necassarily the case when they were an active band or even when I became a fan as a teenager in the mid 80's. Name a "weak" song on ITTOD & I'll name a "weak" song on any other album from the first one on BUT that would only boil down to both of our personal tastes & not that those songs are actually "weak". It's subjective not absolute.

I'll take "Hot Dog" any day of the week over "Black Mountainside", "I Can't Quit You Babe", "The Lemon Song", "Livin' Lovin' Maid", "Ramble On", "Moby Dick", "Celebration Day", "Hats Off...", "Battle Of Evermore", "D'yer Ma'ker", "Houses Of The Holy", & given my mood ALL of "Presence"... but that's just me. I'd take "South Bound Saurez", my least favorite on ITTOD & it's sessions, over a good portion of those songs I just mentioned (but only "Candy Store Rock" off of Presence as I've never cared for it) but in the end it's only my opinion. Yup, sometimes I'll take "Hot Dog" over "Achilles..." but that's the great thing about music that moves you, it plays off the moods & emotions one's in at the moment.

I respect the opinion of others on this, but I strongly disagree. ITTOD has more mixed reviews than any earlier album.

If you formed your opinion solely based upon the reviews, no wonder you don't seem to think much of In Through the Out Door. I formed my opinion from actually listening to it on the day it came out.

I could never figure out why "All of My Love" got under people's skin so much. Possibly because it received so much airplay ? It really stands alone in the Zep catalog....there isn't another song like it. It certainly wasn't an easy song to mix, the overdubs are done quite well, and Robert's lyrics and vocal performance is a 10 out of 10. Just because your Mom would like it isn't a reason to knock it.

Same with "Fool in the Rain". It's not like any other band at the time could have pulled that off. It's a great track for Bonzo's effort alone.

"Presence" was released when I was 16. The thing I'll always remember about "ITTOD" was that it was released at all. Things had changed in the music industry in those three years drastically. Disco and punk, the corporate money machine, synthesizers....and the uncertainty of loyal fans that Zep was even still a functioning entity. Except for embracing some new technology, Zeppelin disregarded it all and slammed this album straight to number # 1 on it's first shipment to stores. As a fan, it was enough to choke you up. This album also touched another generation. There are now life-long fans out there who only have this album as a solid memory of a Zeppelin release. Trust me....after having The Bee Gees and disco slammed down your throat by the media for two miserable years, this album was a solid breath of fresh air.

I'll take "Hot Dog" any day of the week over "Black Mountainside", "I Can't Quit You Babe", "The Lemon Song", "Livin' Lovin' Maid", "Ramble On", "Moby Dick", "Celebration Day", "Hats Off...", "Battle Of Evermore", "D'yer Ma'ker", "Houses Of The Holy", & given my mood ALL of "Presence"... but that's just me. I'd take "South Bound Saurez", my least favorite on ITTOD & it's sessions, over a good portion of those songs I just mentioned (but only "Candy Store Rock" off of Presence as I've never cared for it) but in the end it's only my opinion. Yup, sometimes I'll take "Hot Dog" over "Achilles..." but that's the great thing about music that moves you, it plays off the moods & emotions one's in at the moment.

Hot Dog over Ramble On and Achilles? Come on, I think your just playing Devil's Advocate now.

Hot Dog over Ramble On and Achilles? Come on, I think your just playing Devil's Advocate now.

I already said earlier in this thread that "Ramble On" is one of my least favorite Zeppelin songs. Why? I'm not into lyrics about Hobbits just like some people aren't into keyboard heavy Led Zeppelin songs, but both sides of the fence come down to a personal bias which doesn't make a song about Hobbits or songs featuring keyboards being dominant over guitar bad songs or the material weak. I like "Achilles..." a lot but for my own tastes it could have been trimmed down by losing about 2 minutes of the song (the "Aaaaah-aaaah, aaaaah-aaaaah" bit that stretches out towards the songs end). What can I say, sometimes I'm more in the mood for a good old fashioned hoedown than a Cecil B Demille like epic, not all the time but some of the times. I don't think I can be any clearer than that.

I never said "Hot Dog" over "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". I don't think there's a song on ITTOD I like better than "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". I said "Black Mountainside" & yes I will take any song off of ITTOD over that. And I'll take "Hot Dog" over "Lemon Song" simply because "Lemon Song" is almost a rehash of any earlier idea, that being "How Many More Times". The playing on it is great but it does meander a bit in places for my tastes & the concept was done on the previous album more successfully as far as I'm concerned. "Hot Dog" was an improvement on their earlier foray into rockabilly, "Candy Store Rock", as far as I'm concerned thus making it a succesful attempt which I don't think "Lemon Song" or "Candy Store Rock" were. Again, there's no right or wrong, it comes down to preference & everyone has their own personal reasons why they prefer something over another.

"Hot Dog" is an original song that's a tongue in cheek homage to rockabilly & I happen to love rockabilly as a genre. "I Can't Quit You Babe" is a cover that lacks the passion of the Otis Rush original which I love. There's no contest as in what I'd prefer.

Archived