Robert Plant singing "Shake my tree"

hecube

Don't you find it odd/funny hearing Robert sing this song considering his "cattiness" towards David Coverdale?

Notwithstanding, from the bootlegs I heard, he really seems to get into it...

I've seen the youtube clips of this. Honestly, I didn't care for it. I thought he sounded uncomfortable singing it-that was my first impression.

I enjoyed his versions but I agree, he does seem a bit detached from it probably because of the Coverdale connection yet Coverdale really belted out those Zeppelin songs on the Japanese tour with Page. I suppose it would be like David Lee Roth now having to sing Sammy Hager era Van Halen songs after all their bad mouthing of one another.

I saw them do that live, and I think Robert owned that song. Led Zeppelin always borrowed things here and there and took them to a whole new level. Page/Plant took Shake my Tree to a whole new level in my opinion. Calling to You from that tour was great too.

I remember seeing Page/Plant in Denver in '95. When Jimmy started that guitar riff, the crowd went nuts. I distinctly remember Robert's face lighting up in a huge smile and he really fed off the crowd for that song. The crowd (myself included) was shocked that Robert sang it and I think that "led" to it coming off very well!

Is this the portion of the show where he broke out the theremin? If so, hearing one of those in person for the first time was very disorienting to say the least. The show I saw was at the Omni in Atlanta and it sounded like it was mixed to jump around from various points in the venue which was both mind blowing and a bit freaky at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is one of the versions where he sounds much more comfortable. I found other clips that just didn't gel.

Is Jimmy attempting to "Walk Like an Egyptian" at 5:00 in? Damn him, he even makes that seem cool :notworthy:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Pagey brought this to Zep for In Through The Out Door but it was vetoed

If I were to guess I'd say that he came up with the idea for Shake My Tree around the same time he came up with the riff to Nobody's Fault But Mine, or vice versa. I only say that based on the fact that a while back when I was working out the riff to Shake My Tree, I noticed that it is very similar in construction to the riff in Nobody's Fault But mine - using the same notes but played in a slightly different sequence, almost reversed.

Is Jimmy attempting to "Walk Like an Egyptian" at 5:00 in? Damn him, he even makes that seem cool :notworthy:

If I were to guess I'd say that he came up with the idea for Shake My Tree around the same time he came up with the riff to Nobody's Fault But Mine, or vice versa. I only say that based on the fact that a while back when I was working out the riff to Shake My Tree, I noticed that it is very similar in construction to the riff in Nobody's Fault But mine - using the same notes but played in a slightly different sequence, almost reversed.

Jimmy has said - in multiple interviews - that "Shake My Tree" was first introduced during the 1978 recording sessions and that only Bonzo "got it." Thus - it remianed on the shelf until The Firm - and Paul Rodgers didn't get it, so it remained on the shelf until he introduced it to David Coverdale sometime in 1991. David instantly took to it and Jimmy has said that's when he knew they would be able to work successfully together. This has all been documented for years... :rolleyes:

Jimmy has said - in multiple interviews - that "Shake My Tree" was first introduced during the 1978 recording sessions and that only Bonzo "got it." Thus - it remianed on the shelf until The Firm - and Paul Rodgers didn't get it, so it remained on the shelf until he introduced it to David Coverdale sometime in 1991. David instantly took to it and Jimmy has said that's when he knew they would be able to work successfully together. This has all been documented for years... :rolleyes:

This noob is sorry for giving an opinion that apparently isn't corroborated by multiple interviews that have been documented for years.

In any case, I don't see how your assertion although based on multiple interviews that have been documented for years precludes the possibility that Jimmy came up with both riffs at the same time, or that one was born of the other, does it? a song being "introduced" in 1978 says nothing about when - or how - it was first conceived.

I'm just looking through the prism of 20 years experience of playing the guitar and writing songs at two riffs that have the same composer and use the same notes and saying that that is obviously not a coincidence.

This noob is sorry for giving an opinion that apparently isn't corroborated by multiple interviews that have been documented for years.

In any case, I don't see how your assertion although based on multiple interviews that have been documented for years precludes the possibility that Jimmy came up with both riffs at the same time, or that one was born of the other, does it? a song being "introduced" in 1978 says nothing about when - or how - it was first conceived.

I'm just looking through the prism of 20 years experience of playing the guitar and writing songs at two riffs that have the same composer and use the same notes and saying that that is obviously not a coincidence.

My sincerest apologies for offending you... sheesh... In Guitar World in early 1993, March or April, Jimmy discusses Shake My Tree and how he first introduced that to Zeppelin during the In Through The Outdoor sessions and sometime around that same period they - C/P - were on Rockline with Redbeard giving an interview about the album, their joining together, etc... and again Jimmy mentioned how Shake My Tree had been around since 1978.

Since Nobody's Fault was on Presence, which was released in 1976 and from all the Physical Graffiti outtakes that have surfaced over the years that song never appeared on any, it's then safe to conclude that Jimmy came up with the music for that during the Presence sessions, thus implying that the two songs were written at least a couple years apart. Or at least the main riff to Shake My Tree was written later - I'm sure David and he re-arranged certain parts to fit the lyrical and melody structure that David had come up with, and I base that off an interview that David gave where he talks about how much they worked on that song.

So, this is what I meant by it being documented for years - now over 20 - since in early 1993, Jimmy said in a printed interview as well as a radio interview how Shake My Tree had been one of the songs he "plundered" from his past. It is also talked about by David in JAM Magazine and this was years after the C/P project had ended, August 2011 to be precise and I will provide the link. To get to the part where David talks specifically about Shake My Tree, scroll down to the section where the C/P album cover is at and below it is a photo of David. To the left of those two photos is where David mentions the riff coming from the Outdoor sessions.

http://www.jammagazineonline.com/mf201108-whitesnake.aspx

Here's another link with Jimmy's actual qoute about the song: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/coverdale-page/

And here's yet another article, this one from Gibson, where they mention exactly what I said about how this song was around since the Outdoor sessions and even introduced during Jimmy's time with The Firm: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/coverdale-page-0602-2011.aspx

Now as far as the two songs having similar notes, I don't know why you find this to be surprising - if that's what you were trying to say. Those notes are in a lot of blues songs. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix and I could go on and on. Heck, even Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here shares some of these same notes in the opening acoustic solo. So - again - my apologies, I was just pointing out that it's been known for years where the idea for the song came from, that being the Outdoor sessions and that Bonzo was the only one to, in Jimmy's words, "get it." And he even introduced it to Paul Rodgers during The Firm era but that Paul didn't have anything for it either.

Archived