Professionally filmed Led Zeppelin concerts

Geezer

It's 8mm cine.

And it was not filmed. Someone who was there said there was NO cameras or a video screen, and the photos show no cameramen either.

I guess the transfer from cine footage to DVD give it a more of a filmy quality to it. And the framing of the subject seems quite good in that a bootlegger with a hand held may not have access to such a close up angle. Those points mislead me to think there's a chance this show may have been filmed.

The 1970 documentary planned by the band has always intrigued me: How many,if any,of those shows could have been filmed?

Additionally,I've seen photos of Robert holding 2 microphones during 1970 concerts ( like RAH). The presence of the second mic has always made me wonder what its for if not to capture the audio feed for video. Why were there 2 mic's used on some shows and not others?

The 1970 documentary planned by the band has always intrigued me: How many,if any,of those shows could have been filmed?

Additionally,I've seen photos of Robert holding 2 microphones during 1970 concerts ( like RAH). The presence of the second mic has always made me wonder what its for if not to capture the audio feed for video. Why were there 2 mic's used on some shows and not others?

Robert's second mic was because they were multitracking the RAH 70 show. It had nothing to do with the video. For one thing, it was 16mm film not video, and there were no video screens used for 70 RAH, so no need for a video feed.

And if I remember correctly, all the 16mm film shot at 70 RAH was silent, meaning they had to synch the multitrack audio to the film for the DVD.

And for the last time, I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand, there was NO VIDEO SCREEN at the LA Forum...not in 75, not in 77, not ever! Any film you see from a LA Forum gig is going to be fan-shot.

By 1975, the band obviously relaxed their security, as there's a ton of 1975 and 77 8mm fan footage compared to earlier years.

Edited by Strider

I think The Summit Houston 1977 show was shot professionally. Zeppelin performed there on 21 May. Queen performed there on 11 December and it was proshot. Maybe Zep's gig was also shot?

Houston was not pro shot. The arena had the capacity but for whatever reason the band did not film that night or use the jumbo screen at all.

Robert's second mic was because they were multitracking the RAH 70 show. It had nothing to do with the video. For one thing, it was 16mm film not video, and there were no video screens used for 70 RAH, so no need for a video feed.

And if I remember correctly, all the 16mm film shot at 70 RAH was silent, meaning they had to synch the multitrack audio to the film for the DVD.

And for the last time, I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand, there was NO VIDEO SCREEN at the LA Forum...not in 75, not in 77, not ever! Any film you see from a LA Forum gig is going to be fan-shot.

By 1975, the band obviously relaxed their security, as there's a ton of 1975 and 77 8mm fan footage compared to earlier years.

No, there was original sound, in the DVD booklet it is said that the audio was synched completely by hand, or maybe that was The Concert File ( either way, I personally think this is a complete exaggeration, as there was original sound).

Apparently there are shows from 1975 and 1977 that were proshot by the in house video recorder, besides the ones that are talked about on sites like these. There was a Proximity issue that said Cincinnatti and Cleveland 77 were recorded to video.

Edited by mrledhed

Also circulating: Texas International Pop Festival 1969

Don't know how much attention it's gotten here or if anyone has seen it, but I posted a clip of the Texas Pop Fest gig - (small amount of music from several bands) on the "Texas International to recieve Historical marker" thread a while back. (found in NEWS forums) The footage looks reminiscent of the same type of "angles" filmed and "visual ideas" as Woodstock. Looks Pro-Shot for sure. Approx. 1hr 18 min. Below it, is same Zep footage (as shown here): check it-

Edited by Rock Historian

No, there was original sound, in the DVD booklet it is said that the audio was synched completely by hand, or maybe that was The Concert File ( either way, I personally think this is a complete exaggeration, as there was original sound).

You think it's original sound because of the bootleg release. You are looking at the documentary footage so the audio had to be synched.

Don't know how much attention it's gotten here or if anyone has seen it, but I posted a clip of the Texas Pop Fest gig - (small amount of music from several bands) on the Texas International thread a while back. The footage looks reminiscent of the same type of "angles" filmed and "visual ideas" as Woodstock. Looks Pro-Shot for sure.

Texas Pop was semi pro. It was filmed for a documentary of the Festival.

Edited by ledzepfilm

You think it's original sound because of the bootleg release. You are looking at the documentary footage so the audio had to be synched.

Texas Pop was semi pro. It was filmed for a documentary of the Festival.

Interesting footage of several bands.....Would be a nice revelation if ever cleaned up for a release

post-1879-0-18082600-1328152987.jpgpost-1879-0-48334300-1328153013.jpg

Let me clarify then: I meant video as opposed to audio.....film/video media....not an audio signal. So if your info about the second mic is correct ( and that makes perfect sense to me) then one can infer that ,at the very least, there are other shows that have been multi-tracked on audio if not on film.

Interesting footage of several bands.....Would be a nice revelation if ever cleaned up for a release

It was shot using poor equipment planning, Zeppelin's set was shot with one 16mm camera, as were other bands. I don't know why they intended to make this into a documentary, poor film set-up inter cut with a bunch of audience scenes and/or footage of the band that isn't even synchronized isn't going to make a very good documentary, this is why they haven't made a release of the festival on DVD. Audio is another story, an audio release would be great, as there are I believe complete soundboards of every band.

Edited by LedZep342