Red Hot Chili Peppers - Red Hot Chili Peppers Want To Perform With Jimmy

The Pagemeister

Red Hot Chili Peppers Want To Perform With Jimmy

anthony_keidis_1309443.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers are trying to convince Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page to perform with them when they come to the UK.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are trying to convince Jimmy Page to perform with them.

'The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie' group are coming to the Led Zeppelin guitarist's home country, England, in June and hoping he will appear on stage at one of their shows.

Drummer Chad Smith told the Daily Star newspaper: ''Jimmy Page has come to our shows before but we haven't had a chance to play with him. That would be really cool so maybe that can happen. I saw him come on with Foo Fighters at Wembley.''

The band were forced to delay a string of concerts in the US earlier this year after frontman Anthony Keidis crushed a bone in his foot and had to undergo surgery, but he has now recovered and they are set to start playing again next week.

Chad added the time off was productive, as he got together with the other band members - guitarist Josh Klinghoffer and bassist Flea - to write new tracks.

He added: ''We just rehearsed and came up with some ideas and new song ideas.

''It's good for morale, it's good for the future. The future is bright.

''Normally in Chili Peppers world we never really had this much of a kind of break in a tour. Before, if we had a month off, we would never get together and write song ideas. But everyone just wanted to play. It was great.''

Red Hot Chili Peppers will start their tour in Tampa, Florida next Thursday (29.03.12), and they will play in the UK at Knebworth Park on June 23 and Sunderland's Stadium Of Light on June 24.

Ive seen Flea with Janes several times, but I don't think I have seen RHCP live before, if I did, I cant remember. .....Do they do any free form jamming? If so, the possibilities of what Jimmy could do with such an avenue would be mind blowing to say the least....even if it is just for one jam at one show.

Flea does have that RHOF jam in common w/ Jimmy, but to my knowledge, that was the only time they shared a public performance.

Ive seen Flea with Janes several times, but I don't think I have seen RHCP live before, if I did, I cant remember. .....Do they do any free form jamming? ...

Yes, the Chili Peppers do some jamming...or at least they did. After seeing them well over 50 times going all the way back to 1985 or so, and over multiple line-up changes, I am kind of over the RHCPs by now. Josh is what now, their 50th guitarist?

Don't get me wrong, they had their purpose, and in the late Hillel Slovack and John Frusciante, they had some great guitarists(Dave Navarro was good but he didn't quite fit the Chili Pepper vibe). But as good and energetic as their live shows could be, they were hit-and-miss in the songwriting and vocal areas.

In the scene from which they sprang, along with their fellow LA-brethren Thelonious Monster, Fishbone and Jane's Addiction, the Red Hot Chili Peppers will always rank behind those bands, even though they went on to greater fame and fortune. Thelonious had better songs, Fishbone were better musicians, and Jane's had a more profound cultural impact and influence.

And they all put on killer shows.

As for the Peppers wanting Jimmy to jam with them, a lot of this sounds like jealousy that he jammed with the Foos.

I don't think RHCP would be jealous that JP jammed with the Foos, more likely baffled that he would lower himself to being seen on the same stage as such a low-rent bunch of hacks.

I'm not particularly a fan of the Foo Fighters but it's pretty obvious that Grohl has a tremendous amount of respect for Page and Zeppelin. It seems to run both ways as Page and Jones have also shared a stage with them. At any rate, I can't say that I've ever thought of them as a bunch of "hacks", "low-rent" or otherwise.

I think the Foo Fighters are great live (although i haven't seen them since the late 90's) and the best top 40 rock band in recent history, they can write a really good pop tune better then any rock band that I can think of. I don't care for "pop" music, but there is an art to writing the type of melody that appeals to the masses and has staying power.

They may crossover into the Top 40 charts but I can't say I've ever thought of them as a "Top 40" or "Pop" band. I think of them more as a rock n' roll band with enough appeal to reach an audience outside of Modern Rock radio. Plus, there was what Grohl had to say at the Grammys earlier this year. That alone helps to set them apart from what generally appeases the masses.

http://youtu.be/yuAo7aFiQEI

very cool speech, and its that school of thought that contributes to the longevity of the great melodies they write for the songs that continue to appeal to the masses (Grammys) while gaining the respect from the artists the grew up admiring.

Yes, I am stalking you. :ph34r:

I don't think RHCP would be jealous that JP jammed with the Foos, more likely baffled that he would lower himself to being seen on the same stage as such a low-rent bunch of hacks.

JP should be actively encouraged to collaborate with anyone he likes. I would be eager to hear anything he came up with, regardless of who was involved. Gotta be better than doing nothing.

Fingers crossed that Jimmy does an album & world tour with the Foos then. Gotta' be better than doing nothing? :whistling:

I meant jealous in a friendly competitive sense, like brothers one-upping each other. It's no secret both Dave Grohl and Chad Smith love Led Zeppelin and both were at the 2007 O2 gig. So I'm sure Dave takes every opportunity to remind Chad that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones joined the Foos for their encore at Wembley a few years ago.

As for Jimmy touring with the Foos, don't hold your breath Pagesbow. Jimmy couldn't even get roused from his slumber by the offer to collaborate with the Flaming Lips, a far more interesting band than either the Foos or RHCP.

As fenderbass says, they all want to jam with Jimmy.

I think it's telling that so far in this thread the discussion has morphed from one about RHCP to the Foo Fighters .

Also telling that 3 months before that Wembley gig you did NOT see Dave Grohl giving the game away in interviews.

I think it's very likely that JP will appear on stage this year. If that's equivalent to the 2011 guest appearances - rather than official collaborations - don't expect to hear about it except through last-minute rumours.

My rule of thumb is to discount anything I read about in advance ..

Everyone wants to jam with "His Honor" JP and why is that so? Many great musicians want the experience. but can realize it. After all, Jimmy is 68 and most his age are in retirement. My guess, is we'll get at at least one full length release before he calls it quits. David Bowie, for one has pretty much retired. Just would like to hear what is the situation with this from Bowie and Jimmy!

I believe that I read that Bowie was quite ill and decided to call it quits. I figure that Jimmy is just done, aside from being a 'guest' performer at the concerts of others. I'm trying to find a news report on the Bowie comment. The Jimmy one is my opinion.

I think arthritis could be a major contributor to the lack of work from Page in recent times. Although he was good at the O2 show it was only the one performance and he could have been jacked up on painkillers, who knows? It's well documented that he was having problems with his hands as early as 1972 so its a pretty real possibility. This coupled with the fact that he seems to be Zeppelin or nothing might mean that that he just simply doesn't have the motivation.

Just my opinion, not sure if there is any truth to it.

Jimmy should put a sock on his dick if he decides to join the Peppers to jam.

Wow, talk about a low shot. I'm not a great fan of the Chili Peppers, but at least I'm living in the 21st Century. The Chili Peppers only did that socks-on-cocks thing a few times, and that was in the 80s...over 20 years ago!

It's like mentioning mud sharks every time you talk of Led Zeppelin..irrelevant and long past its due-date.

They should indeed combine the last centuries' cliche's then...........

Imagine,

Flea plays again being nekkid, he plays the opening notes of Dazed and confused

Jimmy joins him as soon as the guitar part begins. Jimmy wears only a tennis shoe to cover his peelieweelie..........and the crowd goes NUTS.

When the violin bow section begins, Jimmy magickally pulls out a red snapper and slaps Flea's ass.........

(we leave the rest open to the filthier minds here...........like Flea looking very dazed and confused after something like insertion etcetera)

(No real fish were hurt while writing this)

(How low can you go?)

(Hmmmmmmmm.....very very low indeed)

Archived