LZ songs just you don't like...

DragonTelecaster

What is about 'Hot Dog' people don't like? It's fun, energetic, got good guitar playing, has a sense of humour about it... And is that a honky-tonk piano in there, too?

I have never appreciated that style of music, that's all.

And the solo in ‘D'yer Mak'er’ is great, with a really good beat from Bonzo

Yep, can't argue with that. The rest of the song sounds too soppy for my tastes.

Really !! Why does Everybody Hate Hot Dog

I didn't say I "hated" it, just that I'm not too keen on it.

I personally don't like All My Love.

I mean, it's not exactly a bad song - it just doesn't strike me that much as a Zeppelin song, except for Robert's voice reminding me it is. It sounds, I dunno... kinda mushy to me.

I used to listen to All My Love just for the intro. I still enjoy the lyrics.

LZ typically and intentionally relied on the rythm and riff to be the hook. Genre-wise I felt all of the out takes from ITTOD sessions and 3 of the tracks that made the ITTOD LP were hook laden lyrically and formula-ish, All My Love really didn't fit to me as a LZ song either.

When I opened up ITTOD I was shocked it had so few songs on it. Once CODA came out, I understood that several ideas for songs were laid down nearly finished, finished but not deemed LP worthy, didn't really fit into the fabric of an LP. The mix on the out takes is way different than the mix from the ITTOD sessions too. Drums pushed up front and some studio magic added.

All My Love is the only LZ song I know of that modulates up from the original key.

In keeping with the thread, I think Darlene is one that leans toward the "I just don't like it" category. Anytime you have to fade a song out that early...

So well around 25% you don't like. That's a lot.

I didn't say I didn't like them. I said the only one I actively dislike is D'yer etc. There's some I think are a bit ordinary, but I can listen to the lot of them. I dislike D'yer only.

I would bet that 99% of these posts are from people who have come to them late and listened to their stuff retrospectively.

Not me! I'm 50 in December and have had a love affair with Zep since I was 13 in 76. I camped outside a record store in NZ when I was 16, waiting for it to open so I could buy ITTOD and put water on the artwork! I convinced myself it was a masterpiece, which it wasn't. Oh well, I can't think of any of the greats who have a flawless catalogue. I love the Beatles too, but boy are there some stinkers in that catalogue. Maxwell's Silver Hammer, anyone? Sorry - this is a Zep forum.

thank you for sharing Andrew

Then there's the stuff where not only are the songs a bit ordinary, but I can't stand the production! They are:

In The Evening (the synth sound is horribly dated; Page's riff sounds tired and monotonous; it goes on too long, and the vocals are produced and mixed in such a way that you can barely understand a word)

Carouselambra (once again, the synth sounds are so much "of their time", and Robert's vocals are so submerged it's ridiculous. Also goes on too long)

All My Love (very "pop", but again it's the synth sounds that don't float my boat)

I'm Gonna Crawl (great solo, but apart from the Mantovani bit at the beginning - those bloody sythns again! - it just sounds tired)

Walter's Walk (awful production, and not much of a song. It doesn't matter if the drums were recorded in Headly Grange and sound huge - you've still got to have a song. The vocals are hard to make out, too. Glad they turned part of this into Hots On For Nowhere)

Bonzo's Montreaz (as in Moby Dick, we don't need drum solos on studio albums. And this one doesn't even have a great riff at the beginning and end. Skip!)

Ozone Baby (not much of a song, and the vocals are annoying)

Wearing and Tearing (their most overrated outtake? The riff, with it's major, rather than minor, notes is hardly breathtaking. To me this is all noise and bluster - a million miles from their best)

There's also the myth that ‘D'yer Mak'er’ was the song Sting copied for 'Every Breath You Take'... (Stewart Copeland, one of my favourite drummers!)

The song - just like 'Hot Dog' - is definitely a lighter, more fun point in Led Zeppelin's career. Not every track needs the seriousness of 'In the Light', 'Ten Years Gone', or 'Achilles Last Stand'

Their sense of humour is one of the reasons I love the band so much. The ending, and Bonzo's intro, to 'The Ocean' always make me smile. And which other band has a plane flying overhead and talking at the start of one of their songs?

I personally don't like All My Love. I mean, it's not exactly a bad song - it just doesn't strike me that much as a Zeppelin song, except for Robert's voice reminding me it is. It sounds, I dunno... kinda mushy to me.

I agree. It doesn't seem like a Led Zeppelin song at all.

The great thing to me about the mighty Zep is how EVERY song had something of value to be appreciated, HOTRH...Zeppelins take on depression era blues?

That being said, I dont care for Fool In The Rain, I dont like dancing days, and I dont like like most LIVE versions of SIBLY

I dont care for Fool In The Rain, I dont like dancing days, and I dont like like most LIVE versions of SIBLY

The drum beat and guitar solo on 'Fool in the Rain' are great, then it's got the Brasilian Samba breakdown part in the middle, or whatever it is. I love it (There's a Thread about the drums somewhere, with an isolated audio track to hear Bonham's playing!)

'Dancing Days', I can see where you're coming from, it's more like a pop song. But it still sounds good to me

I agree. It doesn't seem like a Led Zeppelin song at all.

Sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin to me. Which is handy, because that's who it was.

I don't like any of Zep's songs..except for the one's on the studio album's Coda and Mothership II

:huh:

Archived