New premier league football season starts on Saturday!

joe (Liverpool)

Yay.

Fortunately this summer's meaningless weeks have passed by quicker than usual, with more than just Big Brother to keep us entertained. However, I did a double-take this morning when they announced it's the Charity Shield today, for 2 reasons: one, I wasn't expecting it so soon, and two, MUFC are not featured. WTF.

I'd forgotten how unsuccessful we were last year. Even fucking Liverpool won more than us. And it's a very, very long time since that last happened.

Personally for me (being an Evertonian) last season was good, as we managed four points more than the red-shite across the park, needless to say once again we have no money to improve the squad so a top 10 position is the best that we can hope for this season. By the way the Charity Shield is live on ITV1 at 1.30

I can't wait.I'll have a reason to listen to local radio on a Saturdy afternoon now. I watch it live on the internet and listen to the commentary on Radio City.

Nah nah nah...You've got to listen on Radio Merseyside. The BBC do a much better job than the commercial shity City..And Merseyside has the Legendary aftermatch Alan (Jacko) Jackson phone in. What you get aftermatch on shity City "We'll be back after this short commercial break" Fuck that The BBC all the way for me.

[im not sure what pmsl is, but sounds unfortunate].

[also, i get it]... [you dont like me] [come off it already]

Not at all your [strangeness never ceases to amaze] keep it up.

Agreed there MM. That song is not welcomed at the Theatre. " Build a bonfire, build a bonfire......"

It was one of the most emotional and wonderful parts of the evening - not a dry eye in the house. It doesn't solely belong to Liverpool FC.

It was one of the most emotional and wonderful parts of the evening - not a dry eye in the house. It doesn't solely belong to Liverpool FC.

I agree Knebby. Sorry though, it wasn't meant to come out like that. :huh: What a way to bang into Whole Lotta Love. I wasn't a football head back in those days and to be honest I more than likely sang it myself ! :lol:

:wtf:

If 4.8.79 had a low-point, that was surely it.

"Sign on, sign on..."

At first I thought you might mean "Sing on, sing on..."...but in light of chillumpuffer's bonfire remark, maybe you meant "sign on" after all?

As in put another sign on the bonfire.

So MM, am I to assume you're a Manchester United supporter? Or maybe Arsenal or some FC closer to London?

Just to clarify...I am in no way, shape or form, an expert on the EPL, or football in general. My knowledge and skill is rudimentary at best.

The way I chose Liverpool FC as the club I support will illustrate this: I was watching the video of Knebworth when I heard the singing of "You'll Never Walk Alone" as the crowd was waiting for the encore. Being a fan of musicals, I knew the song from "Carousel", but thought it curious a rock and roll crowd would sing it at a concert.

Knebby is correct...it is an emotional moment and I found myself crying watching. How creative, I thought...so much more than the usual clapping and cheering. I've always wondered if the band themselves heard the singing and how it made them feel? Has anyone ever asked Robert, Jimmy or John P about that moment?

Anyway, I vowed that the first chance I got I would find out. Well, shortly after I was shipped overseas to Germany. My first trip to England wasn't long after, and I asked around and that's when I found out that "You'll Never Walk Alone" was a song the supporters of Liverpool FC sang.

That's how I chose Liverpool as the team I support in the Premiere League.

At first I thought you might mean "Sing on, sing on..."...but in light of chillumpuffer's bonfire remark, maybe you meant "sign on" after all?

So MM, am I to assume you're a Manchester United supporter? Or maybe Arsenal or some FC closer to London?

Just to clarify...I am in no way, shape or form, an expert on the EPL, or football in general. My knowledge and skill is rudimentary at best.

The way I chose Liverpool FC as the club I support will illustrate this: I was watching the video of Knebworth when I heard the singing of "You'll Never Walk Alone" as the crowd was waiting for the encore. Being a fan of musicals, I knew the song from "Carousel", but thought it curious a rock and roll crowd would sing it at a concert.

Knebby is correct...it is an emotional moment and I found myself crying watching. How creative, I thought...so much more than the usual clapping and cheering. I've always wondered if the band themselves heard the singing and how it made them feel? Has anyone ever asked Robert, Jimmy or John P about that moment?

Anyway, I vowed that the first chance I got I would find out. Well, shortly after I was shipped overseas to Germany. My first trip to England wasn't long after, and I asked around and that's when I found out that "You'll Never Walk Alone" was a song the supporters of Liverpool FC sang.

You'll probably know this Pink Floyd song then.

Roger Waters is actually an Arsenal fan too.

Strider - I couldn't possibly sing the rest of the bonfire song. It's a Manchester United song and not in a very friendly way towards the scousers ( especially Liverpool) and to the shite over the other side of Manchester. And MM is a Man United supporter

You may find that Robert instigated the Never Walk Alone at Knebworth. If you listen very carefully to the tape I am sure it's RP who starts singing it. Maybe others here may or may not agree.

They definitely knew, and found it very emotional too.

Strider, the "sign on" quote refers to the words that opposing fans often sing to Liverpool fans to the tune of "Walk On" accusing them of frequenting the dole (unemployment) office - "sign on, sign on, with pen in your hand, and you'll never get a job - you'll never get a job". It may sound vicious but for the most part fans sing this in good humour.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

Gotta admit that "sign on" bit is pretty funny.

So MM is for Man U? No wonder Rick loves him so...Man U are the NY Yankees of the EPL. And we all know how Rick loves the Yankees. ;)

^ No, the Yankees have a long storied history in baseball, starting with acquiring the legendary Babe Ruth and then going on to win 27 titles in the last 90 years. People don't like them because they win too often, more recently because they spend more $ on players than any other team.

I first heard that song on the PF album (then later on a bootleg tape of the Knebworth show) and never knew it's significance until reading this thread.

People around here have been talking a lot more about your league over there and I have noticed games being televised over here more often too. I will have to follow it closer, so I'll have some idea what you're talking about. Good luck to your teams!

:)

Archived