Jimmy and his management

I began a conversation with Knebby about Peter Mensch and then decided it was quite a broad subject so have started a new thread...

I would imagine that things might tighten up now that he's back with Peter Mensch, though I could be completely wrong :)

I said I wasn't aware that Jimmy was back with Peter Mensch - does anyone else know ? or know about why they split up in the first place ? ( I wonder if it was anything to do with that failed Chinese peace concert in 2010 ?)

Anyway, it seems that Peter and Louise Mensch joined him to see Tom Petty earlier this year , though that merely says they're on amicable terms...

IE music, which took over from Peter Mensch, has seen Jimmy through the website launch and album/photo sales which followed it. Of course he's done some one-off live appearances too. Although many people have criticised this as inactivity, it seems to have been a concentrated period of work, perhaps more focused than in the later Peter Mensch days ( I'm not aware that PM was a prime mover behind the O2.. was he? .. though I'm sure he must have run hard with it once it emerged).

I think Jimmy's own focus is actually what determines these periods as active or not ... though I'm sure individual managers make a difference..

You only have to look at the relationship that once existed between Peter Grant and Jimmy . The JP/RP relationship is something we're all aware of , but it seems that he would feel the lack of Peter Grant just as profoundly.

How much do people feel that's an issue ? I just don't feel famiilar with how he's forged other management relationships since Peter Grant .

IMHO, the only manager who made a substantial, positive difference for Jimmy in the post-Led Zeppelin era was Bill Curbishley. (It was also Bill who, having signed a management deal with Robert in 1986, led him to his greatest commercial success and popular acclaim.) Years after Bill retired, Peter Mensch found himself managing an artist with no direction, no vision and next to no ambition.

The Concert for Peace may have brought things to a head. Jimmy should have been persuaded to make a tangible difference in the UK (or the world) on a smaller scale instead of wasting time in the pusuit of some utopian ideal peace concert in Communist China.

More specifically I'm referring to having sold his interest in Trinifold Managment. He also has The Who. Semi-retired if you like.

I wouldn't mind being semi retired and managing Robert Plant and The Who :bubble:

I read in the recent flurry of Louise Mensch press that her husband manages Metallica and Jimmy Page among others. I'm kicking myself now that I never asked her about him when I met her :( She could have had stories to tell or something.

I read in the recent flurry of Louise Mensch press that her husband manages Metallica and Jimmy Page among others. I'm kicking myself now that I never asked her about him when I met her :( She could have had stories to tell or something.

I think she prefers watching and discussing David Cameron

• 9 months later...

Louise Mensch has been promoting her documentary about Brian Johnson of AC/DC on Sky Arts. In the blog, she mentions the time her and her husband entertained Jimmy on the Terrace at The House of Commons.

"...Meanwhile, musicians (although I’m sure they don’t share our party’s politics) are pretty interested in parliament too. Muse’s Matt Bellamy visited the Chamber during PMQs with Tiz and I, and stayed for a lengthy Prime Ministerial statement on foreign affairs afterwards (until we were actually checking our watches). My rock-est moment was bringing Jimmy Page in with my husband for drinks on the Terrace and introducing him to my friend Tom Watson MP. He’s a bit of a Clash fan is Tom. That’s a bit punk for me. AC/DC were around before punk started – and are still there long after they’ve left. So to hear the story of a working class hero pulling himself up by his black leather bootstraps, I hope even the classical fans amongst you will tune in to Rock Icon: AC/DC’s Brian Johnson, presented by me, tonight at 8pm on Sky Arts."

• 3 weeks later...

Peter Mensch is not just a manager (label discussions, managing money, tour schedule, and media interviews), but sometimes has been known to make artistic music related decisions that an artist has no idea is being made until after the fact. Rumour has it his organization may have picked radio singles for artists and apologises to the artist after the fact…If I had a B-Train driver or a rig crew who negotiated with customers what price I’m going to charge for fuel, I would have them fired. Employees need to understand what there defined roles are...

Peter Mensch is not just a manager (label discussions, managing money, tour schedule, and media interviews), but sometimes has been known to make artistic music related decisions that an artist has no idea is being made until after the fact. Rumour has it his organization may have picked radio singles for artists and apologises to the artist after the fact…If I had a B-Train driver or a rig crew who negotiated with customers what price I’m going to charge for fuel, I would have them fired. Employees need to understand what there defined roles are...

As you said, that's just a rumour. We know that Jimmy controls his music, Peter hasn't even heard the extra content for the remaster box sets yet.

I've read that his wife, Mo Baldwin, is involved in his bookings etc. I don't know if there is a management company in addition to this.

This is a bit off-topic but, we've established that Peter Mensch manages Jimmy's affairs while Bill Curbishley does the same for Robert. Who manages JPJ?

• 9 months later...

Perhaps another managerial change for Jimmy according to LedZepNews.com?...

NEWS: Jimmy Page has seemingly parted ways with his long-term manager Peter Mensch. He is no longer listed on the Q Prime website.

5:21pm - 3 Apr 14

RUMOUR: Apparently Jimmy Page is currently “in between managers”

5:26pm - 3 Apr 14

I'm not in the business so color me confused. Why would a guy who hasn't recorded or toured in over a decade even need a manager, let alone switch back and forth every other year? Any insights out there? Where's Knebby when you need her? :-)

Purely conjecture, but could it be that once QPrime has its cut of the remastered albums, there will no longer be any need to 'manage' Jimmy Page. After all, he is unlikely to be touring, or recording any new material.

It probably servied QPrime well to have an artist of Jimmy's stature on their books.

Perhaps another managerial change for Jimmy according to LedZepNews.com?...

NEWS: Jimmy Page has seemingly parted ways with his long-term manager Peter Mensch. He is no longer listed on the Q Prime website.
5:21pm - 3 Apr 14

RUMOUR: Apparently Jimmy Page is currently “in between managers”
5:26pm - 3 Apr 14

I'm not in the business so color me confused. Why would a guy who hasn't recorded or toured in over a decade even need a manager, let alone switch back and forth every other year? Any insights out there? Where's Knebby when you need her? :-)

Managers do exactly that -- they manage the minutia of the music industry for their artists, and sometimes much more.

Alive and well but she quit this forum last June with good reason.

Jimmy's had a few different managers thru the years. No big deal.

That is a shame, Knebby was a jolly good member of the the forom

Maybe I am old school, but surely the manager might suggedt picking up a guitar or at least lowering expectations. Steve

Archived