Celebration Day - possible answer for the cuts!

nigelss

Saw the film and noticed these musical cuts -

Honey Bee segment cut from In My Time Of Dying.

Jason Bonham singing a line from I Can't Quit You Baby.

Let That Boy Boogie Woogie teaser in Whole Lotta Love.

What do these all have in common?

Not written by Led Zeppelin.

What would be the impact of leaving them in the film?

Having to pay royalties to someone!

Makes sense to me. :yesnod:

sucks that those parts got cut....on WLL you don't notice it unless of course you've heard the boots, but at least the cut is clean. Dazed they like half-corrected that trainwreck but didn't go allthe way with correcting it......sucks I can't quit you babe got left off.....they put it on the led zep dvd in 2003 so i think they don't really care about royalties especially considering how loaded they are anyways......guess it was just artistic preference, would be cool if someone got to task dick carruthers or one of the guys about it....

sucks that those parts got cut....on WLL you don't notice it unless of course you've heard the boots, but at least the cut is clean. Dazed they like half-corrected that trainwreck but didn't go allthe way with correcting it......sucks I can't quit you babe got left off.....they put it on the led zep dvd in 2003 so i think they don't really care about royalties especially considering how loaded they are anyways......guess it was just artistic preference, would be cool if someone got to task dick carruthers or one of the guys about it....

They never played ICQYB in it's entirety. Jason only sang the first line.

right and i'm saying on the Royal Albert Hall Footage on the Led Zep dvd, they showed all of I Can't Quit You Babe, C'Mon Everybody, and Something' Else, all of which are cover songs...maybe it's all something to do with all the snippets of cover songs were contained within songs aside from obviously I Can't Quit You Baby?

right and i'm saying on the Royal Albert Hall Footage on the Led Zep dvd, they showed all of I Can't Quit You Babe, C'Mon Everybody, and Something' Else, all of which are cover songs...maybe it's all something to do with all the snippets of cover songs were contained within songs aside from obviously I Can't Quit You Baby?

The way I see it, and this is pure speculation, is why pay for licences of song snippets that add nothing much to the show and must have been quite expensive.

Led Zeppelin receive songwriting royalties for "WLL","IMTOD", & "NFBM" regardless if they're derived from other sources, that does hold true of "ICQYB" & "Honey Bee", the latter not even included on the BBC sessions when it could have been.

So there was more to the show then was shown in the movie?

Yes. Edited out are some of Robert's onstage comments, Honey Bee segment during IMTOD, a fragment of Dazed & Confused, Jason singing the first line of ICQYB, and a Let That Boy Boogie segment during Whole Lotta Love.

Yes. Edited out are some of Robert's onstage comments, Honey Bee segment during IMTOD, a fragment of Dazed & Confused, Jason singing the first line of ICQYB, and a Let That Boy Boogie segment during Whole Lotta Love.

I didn't mention Dazed & Confused in my original post. It got hacked around to sort out the train crash but I don't think it had additional copyrighted material removed. Please advise if wrong!

I'm puzzled by your reference to the film pushing three hours without the cuts. The whole show with no musical cuts and full plantations comes in at roughly two hours ten minutes (cannot check now but around that time) as shown on the FourEyes version for example. I don't know how much this goes up if you include the full waiting time for them to come back on to do the encores, not that it really adds anything in my 'umble opinion.

I do think it is a shame that the Honey Bee clip and the Let That Boy teaser got cut as they were a fundamental part of the flow of the music as performed on the night.

and that's probably enough to trigger a payment, particularly as it was the title line of the song and therefore a substantive part of the work!

Yes, and with all of those edits, (had they've been left in) would have been an additional 15-20 minutes tops.......NOT another hour. The small edit in WLL between Robert and Jimmy (let that boy boogie) only lasted about 30 sec. - 1 minute.......which is a great part of the tune/dynamic and interplay (live).

I'm puzzled by your reference to the film pushing three hours without the cuts. The whole show with no musical cuts and full plantations comes in at roughly two hours ten minutes (cannot check now but around that time) as shown on the FourEyes version for example. I don't know how much this goes up if you include the full waiting time for them to come back on to do the encores, not that it really adds anything in my 'umble opinion.

I see my flippant post is being taken literally; with no cuts whatsoever and end credits I imagine it would weigh in at about 2 hr 25 min.

I have yet to see the film. Did they edit out the Plantation before "Kashmir" about being out in the perimeter?

I am not sure abt some of the cuts but the boogie chillin tease...I think less infromed people might have thought they did the whole thing and it was cut except for one line...I have never owned a boot and wouldnt especially of a charity show so if it wasnt for this board I wouldnt have even known abt the cuts...I would have assumed they cut a whole section out after the tease...

sucks that those parts got cut....on WLL you don't notice it unless of course you've heard the boots, but at least the cut is clean. Dazed they like half-corrected that trainwreck but didn't go allthe way with correcting it......{chop}

Why was Dazed a trainwreck? it's prob the song on the boots of O2 I listen to least. Was it really that bad?

As far as corrections, I know Robert said they re-recorded a little of his singing in Kashmir. Was there anything else noticeable?

I think Jimmy missed his cue to come back into song...from what I heard on You Tube just now I guess thats what people mean...I didn;t think it was a train wreck at all....Live cd's have been fixed and edited in the studio for years now...

Archived