NBC's 'Revolution' gets rare shot at Led Zeppelin songs

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

By: Lynn Elber, The Associated Press

NYET110-109_2012_191928_high.jpg

FILE - This Oct. 9, 2012 file photo shows musicians Jason Bonham, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page at the "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day" premiere at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York. On Monday, Nov. 19, Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" and "Since I've Been Loving You" will be featured in next week's episode of "Revolution", the same day, Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" album and a companion documentary on DVD will be released. The series by J.J. Abrams tells of a world 15 years after the world inexplicably suffers a power outage. (Photo by Dario Cantatore/Invision/AP, file)

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - What tunes fit a post-apocalyptic society? For NBC's freshman drama "Revolution," the answer is Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" and "Since I've Been Loving You."

The songs will be featured in next week's episode of "Revolution," on the same day that Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" album and a companion documentary on DVD will be released.

Corporate synergy led to the deal for the onetime rock band that rarely allows use of its music in Hollywood projects. "Revolution" is produced in association with Warner Bros. Television, and Led Zeppelin has a deal with Warner Music Group's publishing arm.

But it was Eric Kripke, creator and executive producer of "Revolution," who brought his series and the band together.

When Warner-Chappell Music sent out an email asking if any producers on the studio lot would be interested in using Led Zeppelin songs, Kripke jumped at the chance.

"The speed and overwhelming enthusiasm with which I responded, I think, frankly weirded them out a little," said the self-described "massive Led Zeppelin fan."

His credentials: Between "Revolution" and "Supernatural," the CW drama he created, Kripke said he's probably used Led Zeppelin references in the titles of some 20 episodes. "Revolution," about an American family struggling with the nation's sudden loss of all electrity and all the technology it powered, was in part inspired by the band's music and its sense of "mythic adventure," he said.

Warner made a logical pick with "Revolution": The series benefits from a 10 p.m. EST Monday berth after NBC's hit singing contest "The Voice" and started strong in the ratings, especially with the advertiser-favoured young adult demographic.

The Led Zeppelin-accented episode of "Revolution" will air 10:01 p.m. EST Monday, Nov. 19. A "Revolution" promo spot featuring "Kashmir" will air throughout this week on NBC, with an extended version available on the network's website.

The "Celebration Day" projects document the band's 2007 reunion concert at London's 02 Arena. Original members Plant, Page and John Paul Jones, along with Jason Bonham, son of the late drummer John Bonham, played to honour Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun.

For the group, which disbanded after John Bonham's 1980 death, the concert was its first full show in 27 years. The documentary, including hits "Whole Lotta Love" and "Stairway To Heaven," was released in theatres last month.

http://www.winnipegf...-178905751.html

Thanks Sam. I know it's sort of a marketing thing for the dvd/cd, but still should be pretty cool. I remember seeing the listings for the various "Supernatural" episodes, when clicking my remote and so many of them would be named after a Zeppelin song or something else related to the band. When I saw this repetitively, I knew a producer or director of the show must be a big Zeppelin fan. Now we know.

Just looked on the NBC site for a promo for next week, but not there yet. This week, I think is Episode 108. (up to Episode 107 on site, but since this weeks hasn't aired (tonight at 10 pm, not there yet). Funny, that a few weeks back with Episode 103 is titled "No Quarter". The episode with the Zep audio will be titled Kashmir as noted in articles etc. Don't know much beyond that. Perhaps, someone can search better than me and the promo clip for next weeks episode can be found.

Edited by SuperDave

By: Lynn Elber, The Associated Press

NYET110-109_2012_191928_high.jpg

FILE - This Oct. 9, 2012 file photo shows musicians Jason Bonham, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page at the "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day" premiere at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York. On Monday, Nov. 19, Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" and "Since I've Been Loving You" will be featured in next week's episode of "Revolution", the same day, Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" album and a companion documentary on DVD will be released. The series by J.J. Abrams tells of a world 15 years after the world inexplicably suffers a power outage. (Photo by Dario Cantatore/Invision/AP, file)

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - What tunes fit a post-apocalyptic society? For NBC's freshman drama "Revolution," the answer is Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" and "Since I've Been Loving You."

The songs will be featured in next week's episode of "Revolution," on the same day that Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" album and a companion documentary on DVD will be released.

Corporate synergy led to the deal for the onetime rock band that rarely allows use of its music in Hollywood projects. "Revolution" is produced in association with Warner Bros. Television, and Led Zeppelin has a deal with Warner Music Group's publishing arm.

But it was Eric Kripke, creator and executive producer of "Revolution," who brought his series and the band together.

When Warner-Chappell Music sent out an email asking if any producers on the studio lot would be interested in using Led Zeppelin songs, Kripke jumped at the chance.

"The speed and overwhelming enthusiasm with which I responded, I think, frankly weirded them out a little," said the self-described "massive Led Zeppelin fan."

His credentials: Between "Revolution" and "Supernatural," the CW drama he created, Kripke said he's probably used Led Zeppelin references in the titles of some 20 episodes. "Revolution," about an American family struggling with the nation's sudden loss of all electrity and all the technology it powered, was in part inspired by the band's music and its sense of "mythic adventure," he said.

Warner made a logical pick with "Revolution": The series benefits from a 10 p.m. EST Monday berth after NBC's hit singing contest "The Voice" and started strong in the ratings, especially with the advertiser-favoured young adult demographic.

The Led Zeppelin-accented episode of "Revolution" will air 10:01 p.m. EST Monday, Nov. 19. A "Revolution" promo spot featuring "Kashmir" will air throughout this week on NBC, with an extended version available on the network's website.

The "Celebration Day" projects document the band's 2007 reunion concert at London's 02 Arena. Original members Plant, Page and John Paul Jones, along with Jason Bonham, son of the late drummer John Bonham, played to honour Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun.

For the group, which disbanded after John Bonham's 1980 death, the concert was its first full show in 27 years. The documentary, including hits "Whole Lotta Love" and "Stairway To Heaven," was released in theatres last month.

http://www.winnipegf...-178905751.html

THIS PHOTO MAKES ME LAUGH U CAN SEE IT ON JASONS FACE HOW MUCH OF A PHONY PICTURE THAT IS THERE ALL PISSED AT EACHOTHER OR THE THREE OF THEM AT PLANT THERE DIEING TO REGROUP AND PLANT KEEPS SAYING NO AMAZIN HE PROMOTING WITH THEM ISNT IT.

THIS PHOTO MAKES ME LAUGH U CAN SEE IT ON JASONS FACE HOW MUCH OF A PHONY PICTURE

Calm down Mr Biggerfan, your cynical telepathic and body language-reading skills used to discern phoniness are worthy of a Holden Caulfield.

Anyhoo, let's hope that Mr Kripke uses the licensed tracks more imaginatively than in, say, that Shrek film. I imagine that a Zep fan like him will want to use more than a few seconds in order to get a (relatively) cheap laugh [ref. Immigrant Song].

THIS PHOTO MAKES ME LAUGH U CAN SEE IT ON JASONS FACE HOW MUCH OF A PHONY PICTURE THAT IS THERE ALL PISSED AT EACHOTHER OR THE THREE OF THEM AT PLANT THERE DIEING TO REGROUP AND PLANT KEEPS SAYING NO AMAZIN HE PROMOTING WITH THEM ISNT IT.

I don't see that at all and no, I don't think it's "amazin" he is out promoting it with the others. To me it just looks like the best band, or three quarters of it, that ever walked the earth.

Edited by The Grande @ Detroit

Utter bullshit.

That is quite possibly the cheesiest thing I've ever seen. I wish it was being done with a better show than Revolution. I guess the exposure's nice.

So you think its the cheesiest thing you ever seen..Your either referring to LZ letting them using their songs(Is cheesy) or you think

The Revolution Brass is cheesy for using LZ songs.. Go Ask The Revolution Brass if they think its cheesy..You know the answer to that.. So Ur are so Lame..

I don't know about you but I'm loving it when I see these rare Zep Songs promos on Movies/TV.

So I will let it be revealed....I saw JBLZE and them doing Kashmir and I look to my wife and said how these Zep songs live to the test of time and Jason was saying the same thing about the Zep catalog how these song sound so fresh as of today..

Now if the Zep Brass lets all there Catalog of songs spatter all over the place,then now we got a problem..

If don't know by now, Zep is very peaky on where there songs go..

So Your cheesy for posting a cheesy response..

Oh great. Another troll. :rolleyes:

So you think its the cheesiest thing you ever seen..Your either referring to LZ letting them using their songs(Is cheesy) or you think

The Revolution Brass is cheesy for using LZ songs.. Go Ask The Revolution Brass if they think its cheesy..You know the answer to that.. So Ur are so Lame..

...Huh? Think before you speak/type - I was referring to the manner in which the song was used during the promo. I also made a dig at Revolution, which is an awful show.

have to say it was pretty startling to hear Kashmir come out of the TV the past several nights as the show was being promoted... and on Sunday Night Football or is it Monday Night Football? I know I heard a no vocal track Kashmir underneath some banter as they went over stats and went to commercial... don't think it was LZ playing it tho

The Zeppelin is flying

I don't know about you but I'm loving it when I see these rare Zep Songs promos on Movies/TV.

So I will let it be revealed....I saw JBLZE and them doing Kashmir and I look to my wife and said how these Zep songs live to the test of time and Jason was saying the same thing about the Zep catalog how these song sound so fresh as of today..

Now if the Zep Brass lets all there Catalog of songs spatter all over the place,then now we got a problem..

If don't know by now, Zep is very peaky on where there songs go..

So Your cheesy for posting a cheesy response..

seems alot of ego and name calling is happening on this site. why is 'he' lame?

and watch your spelling. makes YOU look uneducated ;)