Holiday plans? Care to share?

LedZeppfan77

The three big holidays are coming. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. And Hannakuh for some. Anyone care to share their plans or shopping experiences? I must say this one has kind of snuck up on me. I am not as ready or in the holiday spirit as I have been in past years. Hopefully it will change. I am going to get the rest of the Thanksgiving needs Tues. Make the cranberry relish with walnuts, pick up some red wine. I bought an extra Turkey and froze it for another day as they were on sale. My youngest daughter and boyfriend are coming. Will be a busy day. I am really wanting to do my shopping on Amazon and online this year. I have a sneaky feeling I already have some Orioles stuff coming? Hope you all have a fullfilling holiday no matter what you believe in or celebrate.

Just finished my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. Got my brother in law, wife , 2 boys and most likely his in laws over for the day. My youngest daughter has the day off of work so I will be planning some vegetarian options for her meal. I would love to be the one going over to someone else's for the day for a change, but some around here would be disappointed there are no leftovers to snack on the rest of the week. I start my cooking on Wednesday night (cranberry sauce, dill bread, mince pie and some other prep work to try and make the big day not so stressful) but I am exhausted come Thursday night. My brother in law usually brings his favorite pie, Chocolate Silk.

Football of course on the tv and maybe some Star Trek marathon too.

Just finished my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. Got my brother in law, wife , 2 boys and most likely his in laws over for the day. My youngest daughter has the day off of work so I will be planning some vegetarian options for her meal. I would love to be the one going over to someone else's for the day for a change, but some around here would be disappointed there are no leftovers to snack on the rest of the week. I start my cooking on Wednesday night (cranberry sauce, dill bread, mince pie and some other prep work to try and make the big day not so stressful) but I am exhausted come Thursday night. My brother in law usually brings his favorite pie, Chocolate Silk.

Football of course on the tv and maybe some Star Trek marathon too.

I make my own cranberry relish. I like this new liquid sugar product to use in it rather than sugar. You dont have to use as much. The trick is to give it a few days for the sugar to work on it. i will put walnuts in mine too. so its cranberries, oranges, the liquid sugar, and walnuts.

I make my own cranberry relish. I like this new liquid sugar product to use in it rather than sugar. You dont have to use as much. The trick is to give it a few days for the sugar to work on it. i will put walnuts in mine too. so its cranberries, oranges, the liquid sugar, and walnuts.

Sounds good.

I make a sauce so the cranberries are cooked. Cranberries, sugar, water , juice and zest of an orange and for something a little different I'm gonna throw in a cinnamon stick while it cooks.

Sounds good.

I make a sauce so the cranberries are cooked. Cranberries, sugar, water , juice and zest of an orange and for something a little different I'm gonna throw in a cinnamon stick while it cooks.

Sounds good too. I think its really helps to give it a couple days at least to let the sugar eat the acid in it. Makes it taste better.

I am staying home for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Every year, my dad & I always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's like, tradition. Of course, I have to help cook so I am the pumpkin pie maker & whatever else needs to be done. Dad gets to watch tv since he's not really allowed in the kitchen. We're not really football or sport's fans, so none of that will be happening. Don't they play football on Thanksgiving? Anyways....

Christmas will probably be the same. Our holiday gatherings used to be a huge deal & there were always tons of people around but, all of my cousin's have their own families & such. i am the only grandchild on my mother's side who doesn't have kids. I should get a million dollar check made out to me right?

Holiday's just aren't the same as they used to be for me. It's sad because I have plenty of great memories with my family members who have passed away. I really don't like to ponder about it too much because it makes me sad & sort of angry that they can't be here. But, that's just how life goes.

I do hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas & a Happy New year's.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I are going to NYC next weekend!

Christmas Eve is always spent at my brother's. He and my sister in law own and operate a horse farm, and the barn is decorated for Christmas. They have the quintessential rustic New England home.

Christmas Day will be low key, thinking about taking in a movie.

I am staying home for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Every year, my dad & I always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's like, tradition. Of course, I have to help cook so I am the pumpkin pie maker & whatever else needs to be done. Dad gets to watch tv since he's not really allowed in the kitchen. We're not really football or sport's fans, so none of that will be happening. Don't they play football on Thanksgiving? Anyways....

Christmas will probably be the same. Our holiday gatherings used to be a huge deal & there were always tons of people around but, all of my cousin's have their own families & such. i am the only grandchild on my mother's side who doesn't have kids. I should get a million dollar check made out to me right?

Holiday's just aren't the same as they used to be for me. It's sad because I have plenty of great memories with my family members who have passed away. I really don't like to ponder about it too much because it makes me sad & sort of angry that they can't be here. But, that's just how life goes.

I do hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas & a Happy New year's.

You are not alone Tiff. We have lost many relatives as well. Hope you have a great Xmas. Planted, hope your time in the Big Apple is fun. My daughter lives here and is coming here next weekend. I will have both of my elusive daughters here under my roof next weekend. I am making beef stew as they are addicted to the way I make it. I am actually cooking short ribs in a crock pot all night tonight in barbecue sauce. For football tomorrow.

My daughter and I are going to NYC next weekend!

Christmas Eve is always spent at my brother's. He and my sister in law own and operate a horse farm, and the barn is decorated for Christmas. They have the quintessential rustic New England home.

Christmas Day will be low key, thinking about taking in a movie.

Nothing quite as fabulous as NYC around the holidays! Have a great time.

My friends and I used to go to the movies every Christmas. Always a film that opened on that day (or as close as possible), and always the last show of the evening. Our first movie was King Kong (with Jessica Lange...) and the last was Waking Ned Devine. We had a good run.

Now we just hang out at the house eating, drinking and chatting. Friends who are really family are the best!

no holiday plans for me as i work in retail. it's the busiest time of year, and we aren't allowed time off. i will be only having christmas day off as the store is shut. it's the only day besides good friday that it is closed all year. i'll be starting work at around 4 am christmas eve, but at least i'll be finished early!

hope everyone has a great holiday period! :)

Christmas will be the same as usual - and for the CP's thats just how we like it. 21st December work is finished. 23rd collect Capon (castrated cockerell) for the big day and large Pork Joint for Boxing day.

Christmas Eve. Drinks and nibbles - I am making a smorgasboard of delights for this as we watch "It's A Wonderful Life" in front of a roaring fire. Have a fishy dinner - maybe some Lobster or Halibut. More drinks and things

The big day. We always have this together. Presents and a hearty breakkie. A walk in the hills. Prepare Capon and all the trimmings and have dinner @ 3 ish. More than likely a snooze before a buffet in the evening.

Boxing day at Mrs CP's folks. Her brothers family come also so it's great to catch up with neices and nephew. Pork dinner which we always buy for them. Games and TV before we head back to chums over the hill for more food and drinks and 'erbs

If weather permits a few rounds of golf to walk of the excesses. Not sure about New Year. We often have friends over but not sure this year. So no plans as yet

• 3 weeks later...

Just left my wife's office lunch at an old time Italian restaurant that has been visited by the likes of Rocky Marciano, Carmen Basillio and many more. Took a long time to get served aas we had no reservations. Many Xmas parties on the agenda. Now we have to hit the mall and have dinner with another couple. And i just left a big time local bakery

Archived