Did Zep ever do a studio recording of Train Kept A' Rolling?

barney2EH

I agree, this song was really their first fusion together. Seems strange they never recorded a version either at the BBC or in studio. Would LOVE to hear one though - always loved it when they played the song live!

What a great thought and question... I like the live recordings that are available and half expected to hear it in the WLL medley at the O2

it was on tape early in initial jams (Aug 12-24, 1968), never recorded with intent to be on an LP - likely since a full on rework would still not get the track far enough away from previous renditions already released by other artist(s). Possible that they did a warm up jam in a studio setting and one of the engineers kept the tape a rollin' and captured it- no idea.

insofar of it ever seeing the light of day- I am hopeful. I have not heard any of the initial reference purpose only recordings of the initial rehearsals and practices. I have seen a picture of a mono reel-to-reel recorder that was purportedly on site at Brondby and Malmo in Denmark. The deck had tape in it so....

KEPT A ROLLIN’

VARIOUS RECORDINGS

Title

Performer

Info

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Tiny Bradshaw

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

The Johnny Burnette Trio

The Train Kept A'Rollin'

Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages

May 1965

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

The Yardbirds

November 1965

Train Kept A-Rollin'

The Rogues [1]

The Train Kept A-Rollin' (Stroll On)

Sugarloaf

The Train Kept A Rollin'

Shakin' Stevens and The Sunsets

January 1970

The Train Kept A Rollin'

Aerosmith

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Albert Järvinen

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Motörhead

September 24, 1977

The Train Kept A-Rollin'/Strangers in the Night

Aerosmith

The Train Kept a Rolling

Tav Falco's Panther Burns

October 1981

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Shockabilly

The Train Kept-A-Rollin'

Alex Chilton

Train Kept a Rolling

Hanoi Rocks

Train Kept A-Rollin'

Nazz

The Train Kept A-Rollin

Dread Zeppelin

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Count Five

The Train Kept-A-Rollin'

Colin James

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Paul Burlison

September 23, 1997

Train Kept A-Rollin'

The Living End

Train Kept A-Rollin'

Ironboss

July 2000

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Han Bennink & Eugene Chadbourne

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

Brave New World [1]

September 17, 2002

Train Kept a Rollin'

Chrome Daddies

April 2004

The Train Kept A Rollin'

Nymonics

Train Kept A Rollin

Johnny Red

The Train Kept A-Rollin'

American Dog

Train Kept A Rollin'

Porky's Hot Rockin'

The Train It Kept A Rollin'

Jeff Beck feat. Darrel Higham

February 22, 2011

I think that if Led Zeppelin did record a studio version of "Train Kept a Rollin'" back in late 1968, when they were in the studio to record Led Zeppelin, it would have already surfaced by now. Along the same lines, "As Long as I Have You", would have surfaced as well (if indeed they did record it in a studio environment).

Take for instance, "Baby Come on Home", "the Girl I Love (She Got Long Black Wavy Hair") and "Sunshine Woman, etc...". Even "Travelling Riverside Blues". All these songs have been available on bootlegs and other sources for many, many years now.

If "Train Kept a Rollin'" from 1968 does actually come out sometime in the near future, I will gladly welcome it. However, I am not 'holding my breath'. All I can say is this: Jimmy Page, please surprise me and release this song in it's original format (if there is one). I know that this is the first song that You suggested and rehearsed with John Paul Jones and the then unknowns: Robert Plant and John Henry Bonham.

I love Aerosmith's cut of this song, and I think I heard the Yardbirds' version on a casette I bought in a retail store 25 years ago or something... one of the greatest hard rock songs of all time. I know Zeppelin would have absolutely KILLED it. If Robert, Jimmy, JPJ and Jason Bonham walked into a studio today and cut a version of this tomorrow, I am absolutely certain it would go platinum in a week and turn a lot of working stiffs into millionaires... warts and all. What a great song!

Maybe Jimmy could do what he did with 'We're Gonna Groove' take a version that is live -multitrack and overdub more guitars etc.

Coda had 'We're Gonna Groove' listed as studio but we all know now it was from Royal Albert Hall 1970 with the crowd edited out and more guitars overdubbed.

Yes, it's John Miles. The version recorded is essentially the same arrangement that Zeppelin did live in 1980 which I prefer to the live versions of 1968 & 1969. I'm probably alone in preferring an ITTOD era studio version of "Train Kept..." than a LZ I version.

no question about it- was thinking along similar lines

Page is going to bring out whatever he can in whatever way he can- so much available to him now DWS.

Maybe Jimmy could do what he did with 'We're Gonna Groove' take a version that is live -multitrack and overdub more guitars etc.

Coda had 'We're Gonna Groove' listed as studio but we all know now it was from Royal Albert Hall 1970 with the crowd edited out and more guitars overdubbed.

Are you SURE about that?

I've never heard that before. There are similarities to the "live" version, but it's not completely the same (the guitar itself is much more muddy in the live track from RAH) . Even with the added overdubs from the "studio"version, it doesn't sound like it's taken from a live performance. The vocals are a little different too, unless Page eliminated a few of Plant's "add-libs"?

He must have completely erased the guitar track from the live version and replaced it with overdubbed guitars and shortened the song?

However, could it be you are thinking about "I can't quit you babe" from CODA?

If you look at the liner-notes, it says it was taken during a Sound check from Jan. 9th, 1970 (RAH), but it's obvious-it IS the real deal from that night-audience noise excluded.

Archived