Eric Clapton at the 02?

Who cares really? Eric did get Jimmy out of the house after Bonzo had passed to do the ARMS tour. I think Eric has respect for James Patrick. And I know Robert is a big fan of Eric. And don't forget that during the Page/Plant era, Eric played with them on the Jimmy Rogers tribute. I doubt there is any ill will

^But who cares in a way... ya know. If they either get along as people or don't like each others artistry, thats just the way it goes. not a big deal imo.

True, who cares what Eric Craptone thinks. I don't hate him, but he knows couldn't reach the creative and improvisation heights of Led Zeppelin in a million years. He knows he's been outdone. I don't need some jealous peer's approval to tell me Zeppelin is shit hot. I've never heard Clapton play the blues ANYWHERE NEAR "Since I've Been Loving You", "Tea For One", or "I'm Gonna Crawl". Not even close. So for him to bash LZ's blues is, well let's just say it reeks of professional jealousy. But lots of bands are jealous of Zep's success, which goes with the territory when you sell 350 million records worldwide. So let EC stay home and practice some more tired cliche licks and cover songs that have been done to death. I'll take "Achilles Last Stand" or "Ten Years Gone" over "I Shot the Sheriff" anyday, but that's just me.

was he there???????

please....anyone, help!!!!!!!!

did Clapton go to the 02?

I really don't care if Clapton was there or not. If he was - good for him to be lucky enough to come and see a great band and a great show. If he wasn't there, who cares? One more good seat for a Zeppelin fan.

anolte

Memphis, TN

His version of "Hoochie Coochie man" is a classic example of his total and utter failure. The Muddy Waters version sent chills down my spine, it scared the crap out of me as a kid and I loved it. The Clapton version sounds like something soccer moms listen to when they are feeling tipsy. What would the PTA think about a song about Coochies?!?!.

Fuckin' brilliant, man... :D

Hang on though, don't forget that more than half the PTA have coochies...you shouldn't sell those soccer moms short, they have souls too. :ph34r:

Anyone who thinks Clapton was "out of the gate," musically, ahead of Page doesn't really know what they're talking about, sorry. EC was recognized by Ahmet first, but Page proceeded to make the best deal ever (up to then) almost entirely on the strength of his reputation as an all-around musician, with years of work. Blues were just one brick in the foundation.

Clapton was just better known by the general public first.

Speaking of soccer moms and sessions, I always get a kick out being at my hair dresser's when she puts on the 60's station, and I swear half the songs have Jimmy playing on them. Stealth guitarist strikes again! The only people you hear more from on that station are the Beatles. EC is barely represented (which of course is neither here nor there, I'm just sayin - who's influential, again?)

Some one wrote

"Not ridicuous at all, what is ridiculous is that you think that there is any more grounds to the theft accusations you've lobbed at Jimmy. What about Strange Brew? Or for that matter, what about Layla, sport? Duane Allman wrote the lick, yes, THAT lick that every guitar student learns just after learning the opening bars of Stairway to Heaven What is more, he played all the guitar solos in the first section and composed and performed the slide guitar duet that plays over Jim Gordon's repeated piano part throughout the second section of the song. (He even made the little bird sound effect at the end of the song with his slide way up by the bridge.) I say he deserves a writing credit AT LEAST as much as Gordon- a repeated piano lick counts more than a repeated guitar lick? Certainly he deserves one WAY MORE than Jake Holmes does. And yet "clean" Clapton didn't give him one. I wonder why?

I bet his ass was still smarting from Duane kicking it on Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad.

'nuff said."

As for duane he was under a contract with another band, and couldnt use his name, hence the

Duane

E

r

i

c

this is very funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzUMjCykn8...feature=related

Not that duane didnt kick his ass.

Ermm.... this thread has gone way off track so I'm gonna add my own 10 cents worth about Clapton.

He was and still is a hero of mine.I read his autobiography and enjoyed it.He has done some incredible interviews in the last few years, when he seemed to treat them as therapy.Good for him, but there's the clue.

Eric was a casualty, probably nearly as catastrophic as Peter Green was, except Eric continued to make music in public.His music seemed to go from innovative rock to laid back old-fogyness very quickly.Not a lot of people seemed to care, least of all Eric!

He stopped living the dream, perhaps before many of us were even born!

Witness Jimmy Page, who is older than Eric.

From the stuff I have seen fom the recent show, Jimmy's fire,ability,and NEED to rock are all still in place.

I believe I have even seen photos of Jimmy nearly drooling over his Les Paul, bless him!

Well the point is Eric had good intentions at one point in his career,a long time ago, but now is content to watch the world go by.

Jimmy Page feels there is unfinished business and he's up to the challenge!

As for duane he was under a contract with another band, and couldnt use his name, hence the

Duane

E

r

i

c

this is very funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzUMjCykn8...feature=related

Not that duane didnt kick his ass.

Both the Allmans and the Dominoes were under contract to the same label, and were recording with the same producer, Tom Dowd You're incorrect about that, he could have given Duane a credit.

Both the Allmans and the Dominoes were under contract to the same label, and were recording with the same producer, Tom Dowd You're incorrect about that, he could have given Duane a credit.

Best check your info same label no.

Capricorn Records allmans

polydor layla

same producer thou your right.

Best check your info same label no.

Capricorn Records allmans

polydor layla

same producer thou your right.

Capricorn and Polydor were both distributed under Atlantic. :P Tom Dowd was Atlantic's engineer and producer.

Physician heal thyself. :P

Capricorn and Polydor were both distributed under Atlantic. :P Tom Dowd was Atlantic's engineer and producer.

Physician heal thyself. :P

polydor has nothing to do with Atlantic for your info. ^^ I think your thinking of Polygram records.

No reply in a few hours, tells me you were owned, glad I taught you something. :P

And Tom Dowd was an Atlantic eng/pro, not the only one, which you make it seem like with your wording.

polydor has nothing to do with Atlantic for your info. ^^ I think your thinking of Polygram records.

No reply in a few hours, tells me you were owned, glad I taught you something. :P

And Tom Dowd was an Atlantic eng/pro, not the only one, which you make it seem like with your wording.

Owned? Please.

Wikipedia - Polydor

Follow this link and you will discover that Polydor and Polygram are essentially one and the same. Not only that, but follow the link at the end of the page to a list of Polydor artists you'll find - surprise surpirse! The Allman Brothers Band, negating your claim that Derek and the Dominoes and the ABB were on two different labels. Looks like Eric is back on the hook for that writing credit.

Just when you thought you had pwned me, your ass was the one getting pwned. :P

BTW- Dowd may not have been the only one, but he was the important one. Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler said the same thing on many an occasion.

Dude look at the years, 1972 was the merger. until then they were part of the universal music group who had nothing to do with Atlantic. your own damn link tells you thta learn to read good day owned again. the sinngles were released guess what 2 years later, has it sunk in to your melon yet?

Dude look at the years, 1972 was the merger. until then they were part of the universal music group who had nothing to do with Atlantic. your own damn link tells you thta learn to read good day owned again. the sinngles were released guess what 2 years later, has it sunk in to your melon yet?

:rolleyes:

Wikipedia- Capricorn Records

Quote from the link: At first the records were distributed by Atlantic Records

Which is what I've said all along, and what you incorrectly corrected me on in your first post to me. In case you weren't paying attention, just when you thought you were pwning my ass, your ass was the one getting pwned AGAIN.

But regardless, what this is all about is whether contractual obligations would prevent Allman from receiving a writing credit. First of all, songwriting isn't bound by recording contracts. Second of all, if there was a recording contract conflict, the album would have said "Duane Allman appears courtesy of Capricorn Records", which it didn't. Clapton may not have had malicious reasons, he may not have given it any thought- but the fact of the matter is Duane Allman deserved a writing credit on Layla, he didn't get it, and it certainly wasn't because of label issues.

I started reading this thread and I thought I post my first post here.

Let me start off saying that I loved hendrix, zep, and used to love clapton.

my opinion is that clapton was at his creative best when he was in cream and had jack bruce..clapton is a good player....one of the best...no...jimmy has produced more creativity through playing and production than clapton ever has..before zep/new yardbirds jimmy waws considered the best session guitarist around...did a something on kinks big hit you really got me

i not trying to trash clapton but i just think he's overrated and i like clapton..i have clapton's crossroads collection and i have a bunch of stevie ray vaughan (now this guy could really play)...clapton does the song the sky is crying...yep the same song that stevie did...and the result...stevie blew clapton away...no compasion

i recently watched on pbs on the cream reunion...omg i was BORED to tears with clapton...wanted him to something ANYTHING....BORED...had to turn the channel

as far as clapton being at o2....hope not that man is cursed

Wikipedia- Capricorn Records

Quote from the link: At first the records were distributed by Atlantic Records

Which is what I've said all along, and what you incorrectly corrected me on in your first post to me. In case you weren't paying attention, just when you thought you were pwning my ass, your ass was the one getting pwned AGAIN.

But regardless, what this is all about is whether contractual obligations would prevent Allman from receiving a writing credit. First of all, songwriting isn't bound by recording contracts. Second of all, if there was a recording contract conflict, the album would have said "Duane Allman appears courtesy of Capricorn Records", which it didn't. Clapton may not have had malicious reasons, he may not have given it any thought- but the fact of the matter is Duane Allman deserved a writing credit on Layla, he didn't get it, and it certainly wasn't because of label issues.

For you info i don't get my info from google like you, I know some one who was there, and the fact is I am right, so google all you want pal I am right and bet my life on it. end of discussion your wrong and cant admit it, tells me a lot about your character. loser comes to mind.

so you're saying jeff has 8 records since 1975?

jimmy has physical (2 records) Presence

In Through the Outdoor CODA

death wish 2 The Firm The Firm (mean business) Outrider (was suppose to be a double lp but tapes got stolen?) Coverdale/Page Walking into Clarksdale

my math kinda sucks, but I think that equals 10 records, 11 if you count both physical

not to mention all the remasters of his lifes work both recorded and live

I think Jeff Beck's only jealousy is that he didn't wind up with someone like plant singing for him

I think we're missing a few Beck albums here. Flash and Guitar Shop come to mind but there may be others.

Duane

E

r

i

c

That's very clever, but it's not how Eric tells it in his autobiography:

"In the excitement of just forming the group, one thing had slipped our minds, and that was, right up to the last minute before we were to go on stage, we had no name for ourselves....Tony Ashton always used to call me Del and suggested that we should be Del and the Dominos. When he did finally announce us, without any mention of our real names, it was as Derek and the Dominoes, and the name just stuck."

Archived