String Squeak on SWTH

We've all read where Jimmy was a stickler for recording techniques. Mic placements to add depth, phaser on Bonzo's symbols (live performances), back-tracking, looping, echo, and so on.

But what I've never really understood is why Jimmy allowed for all the string squeaks on SWTH to remain on the recording? I'm of course referring to the acoustic at the beginning to the song. Personally, I'm so used to it that if it were to be re-mastered and removed, I'd be disappointed. But I do recall the first few times I heard it I thought, that's sloppy playing. Guitarist get highly criticized for string squeak. It's sloppy, lazy, and a poor technique, they claim.

Granted, back in 1970, when playing this masterpiece on vinyl, string squeak was acceptable along with all the "hiss", "pops" and "scratching" going on in the background from using a record player. No big deal, really. But with today's digital recordings, it surprises me that it remains.

DT

I can think of many classic songs with string squeak where if it was removed it would be missed and take away the character of the song.

Blue Oyster Cult's Burning for you is one that comes to mind.

Very squeaky, but that is the character of that song!

Another one of my squeaky favorites is Blackbird by the Beatles.

Jimmy Page always left in the "human elements" of their singing and playing, that is what I like about Zeppelin and JP as a producer.

As far as Stairway it is not annoying squeaky! To my ears it is perfect as is.

In today's world of auto-tuned voices and over-produced songs it is very comforting to hear a human element in my music.

But i am not a guitarist, this is just my .02! :D

We've all read where Jimmy was a stickler for recording techniques. Mic placements to add depth, phaser on Bonzo's symbols (live performances), back-tracking, looping, echo, and so on.

But what I've never really understood is why Jimmy allowed for all the string squeaks on SWTH to remain on the recording? I'm of course referring to the acoustic at the beginning to the song. Personally, I'm so used to it that if it were to be re-mastered and removed, I'd be disappointed. But I do recall the first few times I heard it I thought, that's sloppy playing. Guitarist get highly criticized for string squeak. It's sloppy, lazy, and a poor technique, they claim.

Granted, back in 1970, when playing this masterpiece on vinyl, string squeak was acceptable along with all the "hiss", "pops" and "scratching" going on in the background from using a record player. No big deal, really. But with today's digital recordings, it surprises me that it remains.

DT

Do you complain when you go to a live concert, about the humming and buzzing etc???

Er.... it's an acoustic guitar and string squeak is the nature of the beast (unless you use flat-wound strings, which is how some players get away without it when recording).

Taking the string squeak out of the recording would not have been possible in '71. It can be done now with some extremely clever software, but it generally leaves 'artifacts' (weird noises) on the recording, a bit like the aliasing noise you get if you encode MP3's at too low a bit-rate - that warbly underwatery sort of sound.

Squeak, what squeak?. In over 40 years of listening to STH (not SWTH) I have never heard any such thing.. What are you talking about. Are you refering to Page moving his fingers up and down the strings? Why the fuck would you want that got rid of .... I d'know, kidz of today...They don't know fuck all.

^^^^^JTM .. You Mean Fluck all ;) ... and why the hell would you want to edit out the squeaks anyway ??? i find them quite beautiful and they sure add a lot to the to the character of the song, if page was a perfectionist, he would have edited the beginning of the ocean, and that of black country woman, and the laughs at the end of boogie with stu, and the cough, after in my time of dying, but he chose to leave those in, to remind people that there are men playing, not machines.

^^^^^JTM .. You Mean Fluck all ;) ... and why the hell would you want to edit out the squeaks anyway ??? i find them quite beautiful and they sure add a lot to the to the character of the song, if page was a perfectionist, he would have edited the beginning of the ocean, and that of black country woman, and the laughs at the end of boogie with stu, and the cough, after in my time of dying, but he chose to leave those in, to remind people that there are men playing, not machines.

:huh:

Actually Dragon Telecaster is right. I just listened to the intro, and there are audible squeaks at 4, 11, 32 and 46 seconds. And that's just the first minute!!

Thanks for pointing it out, DT. Jimmy Page is a shoddy amateur, STH is now essentially worthless to me, and I will never be able to listen to it again.

There's a few bum notes in there too, all part of the experience. I wouldn't mind the tape dropouts towards the end being fixed, if that's even possible.

I hate that some musicians/artists will use/have used modern technology to alter their masterpieces. It's a bit like how George Lucas has altered Star Wars, it just feels wrong and was perfectly fine the way it was originally made.

Archived