Tennis

weslgarlic

I could not watch at that un Godly hour. I heard Maria was not on her game. And that is a shame because she went into that match on fire. I just do not get it. I guess Serena would scare the dead back to life. She is an Amazon no doubt. Maria is a strong girl too but I guess she just has some type of hex over her. i'll take Maria home with me, you can all have Serena. :dont:

WOW!!! Two and a half hours already and Murray and Djokovic have split the first two sets...both in tiebreakers. There was also a political demonstration disturbance.

It's nearly 3:30am and it's obvious I won't be getting any sleep before the Super Bowl. Not with the record fair also in the morning.

• 3 months later...

Murray defeated Rafa in the Madrid Open final -- on clay. Seems like a slow shift is occurring with Rafa following Fed in showing some vulnerabilities in his game. Players know now that Rafa's not invincible. Should make for an all the more interesting French Open. Congrats to Andy - solid achievement.

^^^Yeah, beating Rafa on clay is no small achievement. But I'll wait to see Murray beat Rafa in a major before I definitively think the torch is passed.

But the Fed-Nadal era is definitely on the clock.

I feel the same about the majors results, although Rafa won the Madrid Open something like five times (in a row?), so he was the heavy favourite on home soil. Murray is known for getting down, so in terms of his game and mental strength, this was an important step. I'll never count Rafa out, though...

Still pulling for Fed, even though I know he's in the twilight of his career. He had a couple of solid chances to add to the majors count, one was the US Open against the Argentinian (forget his name) and another was Wimbledon a couple of times (Rafa and Joker). His game has shown the crucial aspect of staying healthy. No way Rafa was going to continue playing as aggressively. He racked up as many majors as he could - more than I thought he would, frankly - but his game is so hard on the knees, and sure enough he's had problems with them for a while now. It's really more a matter of adjusting to his physical condition (limitations?). I think Novak has a solid chance now to be part of the discussion about the all-time greats once his career is done, if his incredible trajectory continues.

I want Fed (heart choice #1) then Murray (heart choice #2) to win in France.

It would be a dream come true to get to see Wimbledon in person, but getting to witness Fed's greatness on grass throughout his career has been a great pleasure. I wonder how many more he has left?

• 2 weeks later...

All the top men are moving on in the French Open...Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic. It's fixing to be a great quarterfinals. Meanwhile, Serena beats Sloane...again.

And Rick is gonna be distraught that the grunter Sharapova is knocked out early again.

Djokovic beat Nadal in straight sets...on clay!!!! That's all you need to know that Nadal is on the decline.

What a bummer Federer lost to whatchamacallit. Oh well, now I can wholeheartedly cheer on Djokovic!!! Who's with me?

Women's French Final a bit anticlimactic, no? Did anyone really doubt Serena would win?

I have to say I had a bit of a heart attack last night when I fired up the google machine and saw Steffi Graf was the #1 trending search. "Oh no, did something happen to Steffi...accident, heart attack?" Relieved to see it was just the result of people asking her about Serena getting closer to her GS record.

Serena is now only three majors away from passing Steffi. But no matter what, Steffi will always be #1 in my heart.

Sorry Patrycja. There is no way I could root for Wawrinka. I so badly wanted Djokovic to win his first French Open, so it was a disappointment for me that he lost...not least because I had to wake up so early in the morning and deprive myself of sleep.

• 1 month later...

Get fucked Murray you miserable sweaty sock !!

Awww, don't take it too hard, mate. I have a feeling this is Federer's last hurrah..,Murray will have more chances in the future.

Go Federer!!! :cheer:

However, unlike when Fed faces Nadal, I won't be too upset if Roger loses, because I enjoy Djokovic's game, too. So I can't lose with Sunday's Men's Final...but I would rather Federer win to put more distance between him and his chasers.

No surprise Serena won. She's unstoppable...next will be the US Open and she'll have the proper Grand Slam, putting her with Steffi Graf and Rod Laver.

It's funny, 10 years ago I thought Tiger Woods had a better chance of passing Jack Nicklaus' mark of Majors than Serena Williams had of catching Steffi Graf and Margaret Court. My how things change.

I will always love Steffi, though.

It would be a dream come true to get to see Wimbledon live in person one day. People are so lucky to get to do that. Meantime, I am rooting for Fed to take at least one more major, and to do so on a court that has been his home and at this age would be an incredible achievement in an already storied and historic GOAT career. Very emotional day. You can tell in interviews how special this is and how much it means to Roger to have this chance to win here again. I'm actually feeling a bit nervous for him as I love the game, this is a historic match, and I've followed his career with keen interest so I very much hope he can do it today.

COME ON, ROGER!!!