Moby Dick

kingzoso

I listen to alot of Live Led Zeppelin from my own vast collections of bootlegs and even more live Led Zeppelin that is out there on YouTube.

My question is, whenever Led Zeppelin begins "Moby Dick" (or even earlier when Bonzo's solo was known as "Pat's Delight), do You listen to John Bonham's drum solo or do skip over it?

I, personally, Love every single version of "Moby Dick" that I have ever heard. I realize that some drum solos can be or get boring or somewhat tedious, however, I like the way Bonzo always tried to play each of his drum solos differently. I can even get into some of John's "Moby Dick" and "Over the Top" solos that he sometimes plays for over 30+minutes.

I know that I am not the only one. + or -?

I'm pretty sure you're not the only one who likes them. I don't skip them as there's nothing to skip because I always uncheck Moby Dick/Over the top/Pat's delight whenever I download shows. Not a completist [yet]. I usually fast forward through the noise solo too even though I kind of play guitar.

I love 'em...I mean, it's John Bonham, greatest drummer in Rock, doin' his thing, as only he could...what's not to like?

I can think of a few Zeppelin songs I skip over on concert recordings..."Moby Dick" is not one of them, even if the tympani section doesn't always come across that great on some of the more mediocre audience tapes.

My personal favourite drum solo...Fort Worth 22/5/77 (pts 1-3):

I skip it 90% of the time. The other day I listened to the one from TSRTS and enjoyed it, and I always listen to the track on Led Zeppelin II.

I was at a Classic Albums Live show on Saturday and the guy playing the drums was phenomenal. The best part of the night (other than seeing him play "Four Sticks" with four sticks) was his almost carbon copy of Bonham's solo. Very entertaining and captivating.

For any of you who saw Bonham play it live, was it entertaining or a snooze?

Bonham was NEVER a snooze. Are you kidding me? When they played it live at the Landover concert I was at in 1977 on Memorial Day, I took the time to venture from my seats and look around and try and get into some other areas. No dice. They had fucking Gorilla's guarding each entrance. I could have hopped on the stage from my seats and had the shit kicked out of me and I would have woke up in some DC jail. No thanks. When I returned to my seats the guy I went with, this little guy I no longer see, was passing the hash pipe with two smoking hot young chicks. I do not remember a word they uttered. I did not give them a second glance. I told myself " I have my entire life ahead of me to see hot girls. Led Zeppelin I will never see again. " Man was I right. I do thank them for the hash as it made things more enjoyable. I did sneak a joint in in my old light blue shirt I have long since lost that had a Chianti jug embroidered on it. I put the joint in there. They frisked me to no avail. Fools. Still have my ticket stub. Its amazing. I have lost so many things and I never lost this. I even lost an early 60's football card of Jack Kemp. Now worth $200. My ex wife probably hocked it on me? She got everything but the kitchen sink and the Kirby. Ha. I have a 1084 Kirby bitch!!!! You forgot it!!!!

Sometimes I listen to the whole thing, sometimes I don't. The 30 min. solos I can't bring myself to listen to the whole thing... I do always listen to Robert's intro and the first musical part. If I'm in the mood for it I will let it continue. Otherwise I just go to the end for the 2nd band musical part and the Plantations that follow.

Bonham was NEVER a snooze. Are you kidding me? When they played it live at the Landover concert I was at in 1977 on Memorial Day, I took the time to venture from my seats and look around and try and get into some other areas. No dice. They had fucking Gorilla's guarding each entrance. I could have hopped on the stage from my seats and had the shit kicked out of me and I would have woke up in some DC jail. No thanks. When I returned to my seats the guy I went with, this little guy I no longer see, was passing the hash pipe with two smoking hot young chicks. I do not remember a word they uttered. I did not give them a second glance. I told myself " I have my entire life ahead of me to see hot girls. Led Zeppelin I will never see again. " Man was I right.<snip>

Hey man, it's all good. Listening to a recording of a show is obviously different than being there and without the visual the long solos tend to get a little boring. Glad you got the chance to see them and have such memories. Bonzo was a beast and I'm sure it was epic.

listened to Moby Dick from TSRTS last night while doing mind numbing work- I found it soothing and distracting at the same time. When Bonham put down the sticks and started using his hands it took me to a great place... that is a terrifically musical piece. Appreciate this thread very much.

Related to this topic - sometimes I don't make it through the bow sections of some versions of "Dazed and Confused". I was not fortunate enough to have seen Led Zeppelin live, but can't imagine leaving any of their shows for a second.

Archived