Meet the New Pope

Ace Of Spades

UFO's and aliens are very popular all over the the world but that doesn't prove anything.

well played...Slave, A-s makes a good point........this is great discussion by all..Really enjoying it.

Accounts written in the new testament are very detailed and describe the arrest, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ in great detail. As an historical event. One can run but not hide from the extraordinary events, teachings, and influence Jesus has had on this world and the people in it. The fact that over two thousand years later over a billion people believe he was in fact the son of God speaks for itself.

You must be reading a very different book than everyone else because many "details" are either missing or have been proven to be so historically wrong the only conclusion is complete fabrication. Let's take a major case in point, one that has caused the murder of millions of jews throughout the past 1,800 years:

According to Matthew 27:15-25 it was the Sanhedrin who not only condemned Jesus to death but ORDERED Pilate to crucify him. I really do not know where to begin with this outright fabrication. First, the Roman Prefect in a province was the beginning and end of everything, people lived and died by his will alone. Just one week prior to the crucifixion of Jesus an uprising near the temple (no, not the one Jesus caused) caused Pilate to round up over 100 radicals and crucify them as a warning. When the Sanhedrin sent an emissary to plead for mercy Pilate asked him if he would prefer the Sanhedrin to be crucified in their place. Now just one week later, according to Matthew this same Sanhedrin demand Pilate crucify Jesus??? Uh, never would have happened. Pilate would have had the whole Sanhedrin crucified on the spot for such an outrage. The fact is Jesus was crucified for the exact same reason the 100 radicals and thousands of others before him were crucified, Pilate believed Jesus was a threat to his and thus Rome's authority, the Sanhedrin and no say in the matter whatsoever. This is historical fact. Further, if Jesus would have been guilty of violating the Law he would have simply been stoned to death according to the Law, which is exactly what Pilate suggested (laugh, laugh) to the Sanhedrin before they demanded Pilate crucify Jesus.

That is just one glaring example of an outright lie written into scripture.

Chances are if aliens ever visited or plan to visit earth, they of course would be far more advanced than human kind, and they would probably have came or will come here for any usable resources our planet might have provide them and not to create worship. They probably would have eaten Jesus. Unless of course they're really dumb like the ones allergic to water in the movie, Signs. I mean, didn't they have binoculars or a water detecting app on their iPhones? Something??

You must be reading a very different book than everyone else because many "details" are either missing or have been proven to be so historically wrong the only conclusion is complete fabrication. Let's take a major case in point, one that has caused the murder of millions of jews throughout the past 1,800 years:

According to Matthew 27:15-25 it was the Sanhedrin who not only condemned Jesus to death but ORDERED Pilate to crucify him. I really do not know where to begin with this outright fabrication. First, the Roman Prefect in a province was the beginning and end of everything, people lived and died by his will alone. Just one week prior to the crucifixion of Jesus an uprising near the temple (no, not the one Jesus caused) caused Pilate to round up over 100 radicals and crucify them as a warning. When the Sanhedrin sent an emissary to plead for mercy Pilate asked him if he would prefer the Sanhedrin to be crucified in their place. Now just one week later, according to Matthew this same Sanhedrin demand Pilate crucify Jesus??? Uh, never would have happened. Pilate would have had the whole Sanhedrin crucified on the spot for such an outrage. The fact is Jesus was crucified for the exact same reason the 100 radicals and thousands of others before him were crucified, Pilate believed Jesus was a threat to his and thus Rome's authority, the Sanhedrin and no say in the matter whatsoever. This is historical fact. Further, if Jesus would have been guilty of violating the Law he would have simply been stoned to death according to the Law, which is exactly what Pilate suggested (laugh, laugh) to the Sanhedrin before they demanded Pilate crucify Jesus.

That is just one glaring example of an outright lie written into scripture.

This is comlete and utter rubbish and your own take on this. Are you kidding me? Many many scholars that are much smarter than us have upheld these doctrines and they have withstood scrutiny from the likes of people like you for two thousand years. Fabrication my damn ass. And as for how did the Virgin Mary get pregnant its known as the Immaculate Conception. But you have all the answers so go ahead and shoot that one down too. I cannot prove it nor can you disprove the angel Gabriel appeared. This thread was about the pope. If you dont believe in the new testament its your right. But you are way off in your observations and the Jews did pick Barabus to be spared.

This is comlete and utter rubbish and your own take on this. Are you kidding me? Many many scholars that are much smarter than us have upheld these doctrines and they have withstood scrutiny from the likes of people like you for two thousand years. Fabrication my damn ass. And as for how did the Virgin Mary get pregnant its known as the Immaculate Conception. But you have all the answers so go ahead and shoot that one down too. I cannot prove it nor can you disprove the angel Gabriel appeared. This thread was about the pope. If you dont believe in the new testament its your right. But you are way off in your observations and the Jews did pick Barabus to be spared.

Rick you are betraying your good Jesuit Schooling. The immaculate conception was when Mary was conceived without original sin. Even a the Fransican Friars got that one across to us.

Too funny. What I said is historical facts written down by respected scholars of the time in their time, not simple wish fulfillment like your position. Also, the virgin thing, never happened. Theologians have agreed for over 80 years that was a mistranslation from the original Greek as the original word used (sourced from 8th & 9th century gospels) was "young woman" not virgin which BTW was a non-existant word. If they wanted to convey virginity they would have used a completely different word and that would be the word "maiden" which was not used. Finally, Mark originally ended at 16:8, not at 16:20, those last 12 verses were later added around the 3rd century as 2nd century versions end at 16:8. Since Mark was the first of the four gospels and since it ended at 16:8 once can also argue the physical resurrection never occurred as well.

Honestly, I have no issue with your belief, however I do have issue with people who condemn an entire group based on fabricated information.

The question is moot on many levels. For one thing, it has nothing whatsoever to do with "Meet the New Pope" which was the topic of this thread before it devolved into space aliens, fixations on paedophilia and so forth. Secondly, the question is moot because - and as a theology major you probably know - anything said by a layperson (non-member of the clergy) in a confession to a priest is said with the assurance of complete confidentiality. It is for this reason many laypersons do elect to confess their sins to a priest, as opposed to other laypersons, social service workers, secular authority figures, etc.

No problem, if you do not wish to answer a simple question that is your right and I am sorry if I have offended you or your belief.

As for Pope Francis I, I wish him the best and hope he does the right thing for I believe the church's very existence rests on Francis shoulders. That is if you believe the prophecy of St. Malachy.

But there won't be any - he had to gain the support of the existing old guard establishment, which means the new boss is the same as the old boss...

I see the intellectual featherweight division now has a representative in the debate. Just kidding. The big deal is prevailing circumstances (among other things) led to the previous pontiff's descision to resign. The election of Pope Francis is thus an opportunity for significant reforms.

Generally speaking the practice has been to reach out of court settlements with victims, thus avoiding charges, prosecutions and exposure. Once a settlement is reached, the Church essentially becomes judge, juror and if necessary executioner. In any event you asked my opinon and I provided it.

A nice little back hander to protect pedophiles , you deserve to be castrated for protecting these vile creatures

This is not strictly true and from day one of his papacy Pope Francis has signalled - and continues to signal - the new boss is not the same as the old boss.

I truly hope you are correct Steve, however the last time a Pope attempted reform he was found dead 33 days into his pontificate. I am a big fan of John XXIII and John Paul I, two amazing reformers and two truly great men. Even Paul XI was pretty good and would have been better had he not relented to the wishes of the future John Paul II as his principal advisor.

New pope leads changing Catholic Church

By Margaret Macklenborg

Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013

3039655149.jpg

Pope Francis waves to the crowd from the

papamobile during his inauguration mass at

St Peter’s square on March 19, at the Vatican.

The Roman Catholic Church made waves with its selection of the first non-European pope in the modern era, and with Easter around the corner, some at Ohio State are interested to see how Pope Francis will lead the faith into the future.

”I’m pretty excited. Easter is always a big time for Catholics, and now with the new pope there’s been a lot of enthusiasm towards the faith,” said Daniel Deleandro, a Catholic and third-year in exercise science education. “I really think it’s good that he comes from Latin America because he can speak their language and he can understand different people’s needs.”

Pope Francis began his new role as the leader of the Catholic Church on Tuesday. David Brakke, an OSU history professor, said the selection of a non-European pope is crucial to the growth of the Catholic Church because the center of Catholicism is no longer in Europe.

“I think the cardinals were eager to show that they understand now that most Catholics don’t live in Europe,” Brakke said. “(The) majority of Catholics now live in Latin America, Africa and Asia. They understand that the center of the Church is not in Europe. There really isn’t a center anymore, it’s truly a global religion.”

Many people in traditional Catholic countries like Spain, Ireland and Italy are no longer going to church or being baptized. This is because the process of secularism has been occurring for more than 100 years in Europe, Brakke said.

“People that live in a secular society feel tied together by values like freedom, individual conscience and human rights, rather than being tied together by a specific religion,” Brakke said.

Brakke said some Catholics are leaving the Catholic Church in the United States, but Catholicism is not losing ground in the U.S. because immigrants from Catholic nations are keeping the religion prominent. The Catholic Church is still growing in other areas of the world like Asia and Africa. In Latin America there are numerous Catholics leaving the religion for other forms of Christianity because they are looking for more spiritual involvement.

“There is definitely a sense that people in Latin America are becoming more interested in forms of Christianity that have a charismatic and emotional appeal with more hymn singing, healing and experiences with the spirit,” Brakke said. “I think the pope will try and integrate that spirituality back into the church.”

Abby Krammer, a Catholic and third-year in middle childhood education, said Francis’ adjustment to being pope will add to the excitement of Easter.

“It brings me a lot of joy in the Easter season,” Krammer said. “There is a lot of joy in the church all the time because of Jesus’ resurrection, but I think the new pope will also bring new life and happiness to the church.”

In addition to the shift of Catholicism from Europe to a worldwide faith, the cardinals chose Francis to focus on two major problems within the Catholic Church, Brakke said.

“I think in this situation it was a wise move because the church really needs the new pope to fix two major challenges,” Brakke said. “The remaining problems with the sex abuse scandal must be fixed, so this pope really needs to take charge of that. The second is that the bureaucracy in the Vatican, which is called the ‘Curia,’ really needs to be reformed. There are hints of scandal and financial mismanagement … I think there was a real need to bring in an outsider from another place and to not be heavily involved in the bureaucracy to kind of clean up the place.”

The Catholic Church has faced issues with sexual misconduct over the years that has tarnished the reputation of the Church.

Theresa Gilmore, a Catholic and second-year in public health, said she is looking forward to seeing what Francis will focus on during his reign.

“I think it’s going to be really good to see from a new perspective and have some new ideas come in,” she said.

While Francis is considered a conservative in his theology, Brakke thinks Francis will show special emphasis on giving to the poor and will try to bring back other types of spirituality to the Catholic Church.

“I think given what he’s done so far, he’s not going to change on issues of birth control, gay marriage, abortion and all that,” Brakke said. “I do think he is putting a greater emphasis on simplicity. What you might see from the pope is less talk about issues of gender and sexuality, which turn off people, but more talk about spirituality, caring about people’s souls, worrying about the poor and doing the kinds of acts and services that Christians should do.”

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/new-pope-leads-changing-catholic-church-1.3012610

Good article Steve. I am hopeful for this new pope. I hope too that he gets the continued support in making any necessary changes or corrections along the way. It will be interesting to watch.

As for Wes L Garlic making your list, is he #33?........ I have been trying to keep track. Maybe give "W" another chance.

Good article Steve. I am hopeful for this new pope. I hope too that he gets the continued support in making any necessary changes or corrections along the way. It will be interesting to watch.

As for Wes L Garlic making your list, is he #33?........ I have been trying to keep track. Maybe give "W" another chance.

Its out of site out of mind for SteveAJones

i believe so.

fool, do you also? i know your hubby is a believer.

Hi Jules, I take the Bible for what it is, a Story Book that is open to Interpretation..

There is no way that I believe in the 'Immaculate' Conception, and that we are the only Intelligent life form, so yes I do believe that there may have been a more Intelligent life form involved. And not the 'Little Green Aliens' that ppl seem to think they would look like.

Archived