Before and After the Show

ListenToThis

Having quit soundchecks during the '77 tour (did they do them in '75?) I've wondered how the bands preparations prior to concerts, and then their activities afterwards, changed over the years. I opine the day's events often impacted the night's performance.

It would seem that in the early days the band would get together, socialize and rehearse / play / soundcheck. Towards the end, like 1977, I get the impression that Plant and Jones would spend their days outside, whilst Bonham Page and Grant would keep the blinds drawn. I know in '77 they used hotels as home base and were often flying just prior to the beginning of gigs. In '80 it would seem pre-show socializing was minimal and then post show only Plant and Jones would hold court (Bonham often retiring early) and Jimmy only appearing occasionally .

Amazing that after being in a plane for two hours and the boredom and vice that would ensue, Page and Bonham could be so proficient (relatively speaking re: Page) at their craft.

In interviews have the members ever touched on the changes in camaraderie with regard to the live shows? Maybe this is a mundane topic but I find the changing dynamics in their personal lives and the resulting wedges quite interesting.

Interesting question

Having quit soundchecks during the '77 tour (did they do them in '75?) I've wondered how the bands preparations prior to concerts, and then their activities afterwards, changed over the years. I opine the day's events often impacted the night's performance.

It would seem that in the early days the band would get together, socialize and rehearse / play / soundcheck. Towards the end, like 1977, I get the impression that Plant and Jones would spend their days outside, whilst Bonham Page and Grant would keep the blinds drawn. I know in '77 they used hotels as home base and were often flying just prior to the beginning of gigs. In '80 it would seem pre-show socializing was minimal and then post show only Plant and Jones would hold court (Bonham often retiring early) and Jimmy only appearing occasionally .

Amazing that after being in a plane for two hours and the boredom and vice that would ensue, Page and Bonham could be so proficient (relatively speaking re: Page) at their craft.

In interviews have the members ever touched on the changes in camaraderie with regard to the live shows? Maybe this is a mundane topic but I find the changing dynamics in their personal lives and the resulting wedges quite interesting.

I agree with you that in the early days (say from 1968 - 1972) there was a lot of "camaraderie" between them. Not to say that any of this diminished between 1973 - 1976 because the 1973 and 1975 tours shattered all previous concert attendance records. I do think that by the 1977 North American tour that the stress, drugs (and violence) certainly got ahold of Pagey, Bonzo , Peter and Richard Cole.

I think that the smack would be a major hinderance in ones ability to perform up to par, however, the vast amounts of Cocaine and the strict professionalism of Jimmy and Bonzo would assure that Led Zeppelin gave it Their All every night.

Having friends who got hooked on smack, I can tell you it makes a person very anti-social. It is sad what happened to them by '77. I always think of the recording of Zep III and how they went up to the cottage at Bron-Yr-Aur and just hung out with each other and made great music. How I wish the hard drugs never came into their camp.

This is very true,I am sure the night after night of drugs and concerts wore a person out

Having friends who got hooked on smack, I can tell you it makes a person very anti-social. It is sad what happened to them by '77. I always think of the recording of Zep III and how they went up to the cottage at Bron-Yr-Aur and just hung out with each other and made great music. How I wish the hard drugs never came into their camp.

In interviews have the members ever touched on the changes in camaraderie with regard to the live shows?

Not so much; every interview I've ever read/listened to has highlighted the fact that, on-stage, they were a different entity. By 1977, they might have been forcing it a bit more, but all we have to do is listen to some of the greats (L.A., hell, even Oakland) and you can still hear the magic.

I agree with you that in the early days (say from 1968 - 1972) there was a lot of "camaraderie" between them. Not to say that any of this diminished between 1973 - 1976 because the 1973 and 1975 tours shattered all previous concert attendance records. I do think that by the 1977 North American tour that the stress, drugs (and violence) certainly got ahold of Pagey, Bonzo , Peter and Richard Cole.

I think that the smack would be a major hinderance in ones ability to perform up to par, however, the vast amounts of Cocaine and the strict professionalism of Jimmy and Bonzo would assure that Led Zeppelin gave it Their All every night.

Do you think Robert did not do the drugs like the rest/

It would appear he did coke (per his own accounts) but never heroin. He also rarely appears to have drank himself into a stupor. I do believe he got rid of the cocaine after July '77 as well.

No matter his habits it never seemed to affect his social personality.

I wouldn't say that. By nearly all accounts, he became the avatar of sobriety.

I read somewhere he still has the remains of his drugs stash from the '77 tour stored in a glass jar at home - 3 Qualuudes he calls Tom, Dick and Harry!

IMO I think the band started to fall apart during Presence, deteriorating until 1980.

Their dynamic changed, Jimmy's drug use turned from recreational to addiction, Bonzo's alcohol abuse got worse. Along with Plant and the car crash, I think their comradery faded alot and it did effect their music in some ways.

probaly very true,they got big so fast

IMO I think the band started to fall apart during Presence, deteriorating until 1980.
Their dynamic changed, Jimmy's drug use turned from recreational to addiction, Bonzo's alcohol abuse got worse. Along with Plant and the car crash, I think their comradery faded alot and it did effect their music in some ways.

The real problem started during the 1977 tour, and was compounded by the issues they were facing at the time of Karac's death.

While other people will play up the degree to which they were falling apart, the band members themselves have said they were looking forward to the prospect of a 1980 North American tour.

• 3 weeks later...

We could discuss what shows the band prepared for in a poor manner.

For instance, Nuremberg 1980.

Seems they partied at a disco in nearby Roth for a large part of the day. Bonham most likely drank himself silly resulting in his subsequent collapse and hospitalization later that night.

Vancouver 1973.

Here Plant decided to intake a suspicious offering from an unknown source resulting in him, per his own account, having some strong hallucinations. Difficult to say when Plant had his take but they made it through a large part of the show so it must have been at some point during the concert.

Chicago 1977 - Show was halted due to Page's general lack of coherence and it was rumored that he ruined his draws. Curious what he did all day prior to the show that was different from any other day?

Tempe 1977 - Again with Page. Did he get some bad stuff I wonder?

Vancouver 1973.

Here Plant decided to intake a suspicious offering from an unknown source resulting in him, per his own account, having some strong hallucinations. Difficult to say when Plant had his take but they made it through a large part of the show so it must have been at some point during the concert.

He didn't "decide" to do that, his drink was spiked. He was unaware he was taking anything.

I could see someone doing this and then watching and thinking it was funny,had someone do that to me once and it was not funny at all

You seem to be suggesting he is to blame for this incident somehow? Am I wrong?

Chicago 1977 - Show was halted due to Page's general lack of coherence and it was rumored that he ruined his draws. Curious what he did all day prior to the show that was different .

^^^^^

Another gross exagerration. I was at this show and the assumption that Page shit himself is beyond stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver 1973.

"Vancouver is a lousy place to get spiked, but a wonderful place to play." - Robert Plant, Seattle 1977

He mentions getting dosed in '73 during one of the Vancouver '75 shows as well (20/3/75, I think). Been a while since I've listened to the Vancouver '73 show but what I remember from Plant's vocal performance he wad dosed sometime pre-show...you can hear in his vocals the trip he was on kicking in (he actually says at some point, "Oh, I'm tired" :lol: ) In spite of the dosing of their singer Vancouver '73 ain't bad.

Having said all that, though, I think dosing somebody who wasn't expecting it is just about one of the lowest things you could do to a person (short of murder or rape, of course.)

Tempe 1977 - Again with Page. Did he get some bad stuff I wonder?

Again, Page isn't in that much worse shape in Tempe than at certain points in Seattle three days earlier. Perhaps it really wasn't a case of copping some bad shit but an actual legitimate illness that brought Page low at the start of the third leg.

I still don't think the Chicago '77 or Nuremburg '80 incidents were brought on by anything other than self abuse, though.

Someone slipped me something back in the late 70's and believe me it was no fun,I think they should have gone to jail!

"Vancouver is a lousy place to get spiked, but a wonderful place to play." - Robert Plant, Seattle 1977

He mentions getting dosed in '73 during one of the Vancouver '75 shows as well (20/3/75, I think). Been a while since I've listened to the Vancouver '73 show but what I remember from Plant's vocal performance he wad dosed sometime pre-show...you can hear in his vocals the trip he was on kicking in (he actually says at some point, "Oh, I'm tired" :lol: ) In spite of the dosing of their singer Vancouver '73 ain't bad.

Having said all that, though, I think dosing somebody who wasn't expecting it is just about one of the lowest things you could do to a person (short of murder or rape, of course.)

Again, Page isn't in that much worse shape in Tempe than at certain points in Seattle three days earlier. Perhaps it really wasn't a case of copping some bad shit but an actual legitimate illness that brought Page low at the start of the third leg.

I still don't think the Chicago '77 or Nuremburg '80 incidents were brought on by anything other than self abuse, though.

Chicago 1977 - Show was halted due to Page's general lack of coherence and it was rumored that he ruined his draws. Curious what he did all day prior to the show that was different .

^^^^^

Another gross exagerration. I was at this show and the assumption that Page shit himself is beyond stupid.

I believe I shit myself at the April 10th, 77" Chicago show! Amazing performance and if anyone knows where I can score a boot I would be most appreciative. I would love to relive those memories.

Archived