The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

3 hours ago, redrum said:

Gotta finish reading this.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/NewPDFs/USN/Action reports/USN.Oral.History.Dive.Bombers.Midway.RAdm.Lewis.Hopkins.pdf

Don't know why, but I think the American soldier's helmet looked so bad ass. Marines too.

Army Helmet Evolution | History of the U.S. Army HelmetUS Marines lifting Marine causality with leg injury on Iwo Jima in February  1945 | The Digital Collections of the National WWII Museum : Oral Histories

Thank for posting that pdf about Midway---fascinating read.

When I was a kid we would go to the local Army Navy Surplus and buy the GI helmet liners (which were shaped just like the steel helmets) and we would wear those when we played Army.  Don't now why we didn't get the steel pots too, but he liners were just a few buck without the pots.  Probably they made more of the liners as they would need to be replaced from time to time with the sweat bands rotting out especially during Vietnam.

So we would get those, a web belt, and then a canteen and the canvas holder for the canteen an re enact every major battle (or Combat TV episode) from the war.  We all had 'Johnny Eagle' toy rifles and guns too. Looked pretty real---wish my mother hadn't thrown all that stuff out, those toys worth some bucks today.

spacer.png

Edited by kipper

18 minutes ago, kipper said:

Thank for posting that pdf about Midway---fascinating read.

When I was a kid we would go to the local Army Navy Surplus and buy the GI helmet liners (which were shaped just like the steel helmets) and we would wear those when we played Army.  Don't now why we didn't get the steel pots too, but he liners were just a few buck without the pots.  Probably they made more of the liners as they would need to be replaced from time to time with the sweat bands rotting out especially during Vietnam.

So we would get those, a web belt, and then a canteen and the canvas holder for the canteen an re enact every major battle (or Combat TV episode) from the war.  We all had 'Johnny Eagle' toy rifles and guns too. Looked pretty real---wish my mother hadn't thrown all that stuff out, those toys worth some bucks today.

spacer.png

Cool stuff. We played war too and our surplus store on Market St. was 'Kaplan's.' This is modern day. Back then the store front looked completely different.

A 74-Year-Old Surplus Store Just Got Bought Out of Mid-Market - Racked SF

59 minutes ago, reids said:

R.I.P. Gayle Sayers (77)  (former Chicago Bears running back, NFL great and Hall Of Famer).

R😎

A couple of things crossed my mind upon hearing this news. One…I thought he had already died a while back. Two…I never got to see Gale Sayers play in person. The Chicago Bears were not on tv in L.A. often. It wasn't until "Brian's Song" that I really learned about Gale Sayers as a player.

Rest In Peace, Gale Sayers.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-gale-sayers-chicago-bears-died-20200923-4lv2wfxcangajgbcaiyiwbcnna-story.html

Edited by Strider

7 hours ago, reids said:

R.I.P. Gayle Sayers (77)  (former Chicago Bears running back, NFL great and Hall Of Famer).

R😎

How embarassing for SF.

Gale Sayers, Chicago Bears' sensational halfback, smiles happily after scoring six touchdowns against San Francisco 49ers. The Bears won, 61-20, in Chicago, Dec. 12, 1965. The remarkable Kansas rookie boosted his season touchdown total to 21, a new NFL record at the time.

3 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

I was a big wrestling fan, sad indeed to hear this news.

Yes. You can see the influence of pop culture /music on “sports entertainment” (Road Warrior / Mad Max) movies along with Kiss (makeup), as inspiration.

R😎

6 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

... I know it's said they go in three's, but sheeeeesh!

Exactly. Even weirder, is the fact that Helen Reddy and Mac Davis performed together. Here’s one that Mac wrote and Helen sang. 

R😎

Edited by reids

19 hours ago, John M said:

Rocco Prestia was so amazing.  This clip is labeled What is Hip but it starts out with Oakland Stroke.  Rocco with David Garibaldi on drums - so excellent.

I'd say rioting is now hip in Oakland. Soon to become passe'.

drummer David Garibaldi and current bassist Marc van Wageningen were struck by a train in California," said their PR agent Jeremy Westby in a statement to CNN. Both men are responsive and being treated at a hospital, according to Westby.Jan 13, 2017

On 5/29/2020 at 2:26 PM, reids said:

R.I.P. Bob Kulick (guitarist w/ Lou Reed, Meatloaf session guitarist for Kiss, etc). He was the brother to former Kiss guitarist (84-96), Bruce Kulick. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/music/kiss-guitarist-bob-kulick-dead-age-70/%3famp=true

R😎

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bob-kulicks-cause-of-death-revealed/