Jimmy Page solo album "No Progress"

royalrumpus

I agree wIth Geezer about Outrider....it was so underwhelming....and I had remembered Plant saying "boy when Pagey comes out with a solo album, it's going to be a real WAH"! And it was a real...."meh".

There are threads on here dissing Clapton versus Page. But one of the marks of a great musician is one who is successful in whatever they do. Clapton went from Cream to Blind Faith to Derek and the Dominoes, and each time, there was little doubt about the driving force of talent in the band. And he went to a very successful solo career. One can say the same of Percy, whatever he's done, he's had pretty good success with it.

Page without Zeppelin is very mediocre....not big displays of talent, no risk taking of any kind. He'll, since the O2 show, Page has played live exactly FOUR songs. None original or course, all Zep. Since O2 Plant has played live thousands of songs, some of them Zep, some of them not. Since the O2 show, Jones has played live many hundreds of songs (mostly with TCV) and has kept busy working on other people's music.

Sorry, but to me, Page is overhyped. A one time he was very talented... A long time ago.

With Page, we get (yet another) remastered Zep catalogue....do we REALLY need this?

I agree wIth Geezer about Outrider....it was so underwhelming....and I had remembered Plant saying "boy when Pagey comes out with a solo album, it's going to be a real WAH"! And it was a real...."meh".

There are threads on here dissing Clapton versus Page. But one of the marks of a great musician is one who is successful in whatever they do. Clapton went from Cream to Blind Faith to Derek and the Dominoes, and each time, there was little doubt about the driving force of talent in the band. And he went to a very successful solo career. One can say the same of Percy, whatever he's done, he's had pretty good success with it.

Page without Zeppelin is very mediocre....not big displays of talent, no risk taking of any kind. He'll, since the O2 show, Page has played live exactly FOUR songs. None original or course, all Zep. Since O2 Plant has played live thousands of songs, some of them Zep, some of them not. Since the O2 show, Jones has played live many hundreds of songs (mostly with TCV) and has kept busy working on other people's music.

Sorry, but to me, Page is overhyped. A one time he was very talented... A long time ago.

With Page, we get (yet another) remastered Zep catalogue....do we REALLY need this?

Are you saying that releasing an album of ambient Eastern Satanic trance ritual music that samples Hitler's speeches on a private pressing via a lottery isn't risk taking?

Jimmy is all about Led Zeppelin. He's not motivated to do solo stuff. No matter what he says about "projects". I do hope he releases the field recordings in some form. But the reality is that he is true to one "Lady" if you will - and She is Led Zeppelin. Like a Captain of a good ship - he will sail with her until the end of days. Clapton can do a million new things and still not be as exciting as Jimmy was.

Robert has blazed a remarkable solo trail since the demise of Led Zep. Jimmy could have as well but decided to be the Caretaker of the Zeppelin Archives in his latter years instead. I still feel he has a surprise body of new work yet to come though.

I'll take his playing on the 1998 P & P tour over 1988 any day..."No Quarter" and "How Many More Times" were amazing at those shows!

Just because he's playing the songs you prefer doesn't mean he's playing any better. He was off the drugs and (seemingly) sober in 1988.

What about a collaboration album with Jeff Beck? I think that's an avenue worth exploring.

They've been friends for decades but AFAIK they haven't collaborated on many musical projects. Besides the few months they were in the Yardbirds together, there were the ARMs concerts, a few Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gigs and one of Robert Plant's solo albums. Have I left out anything?

What about a collaboration album with Jeff Beck? I think that's an avenue worth exploring.

And at the Kennedy Center show, Buddy Guy joked about maybe he and Page could do some stuff "seeing as how Zep isn't doing much these days". Page's response: "I gotta do the umpteenth remastering of the Zep records". I suppose though, as Page said when he put out the remastered Deathwish 2 soundtrack, "a lot of people wanted this". Yeah, all with the last name of Page.

Do another Coverdale/Page product, he has never rocked better since the demise of Zep. And if Percy starts in with his Coverversion crap, who the hell cares?

What are are you referring to?

I believe Cookie may have been referring to that dreary unlistenable dirge "Lucifer Rising". Left in the vaults for 35 years or so. Should have left it in there another 300 or so years. No wonder he was let go from the film (although in fairness it sounds like Anger was no picnic to work with).

Deathwish 2 is about a million billion times better and shows true flashes of brilliance.

Another option for JP, do some soundtracks. Mark Knopfler did tons even while he was in Dire Straits.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps talking about Outrider, being his last solo album, because frankly, Coverdale Page is by far the best thing Page has done since 1977 and if I had to choose between a Outrider sounding album vs. a Coverdale Page album, I would take CP any day as the guitar work on that album was monster and amazing.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps talking about Outrider, being his last solo album, because frankly, Coverdale Page is by far the best thing Page has done since 1977 and if I had to choose between a Outrider sounding album vs. a Coverdale Page album, I would take CP any day as the guitar work on that album was monster and amazing.

I love them both, but it was Outrider that he did his last full tour where he was the center. C/P, sadly, didn't get further than Japan

agree 100%

The Coverdale - Page Product itself was good but they got no response concert wise from the US.

Fans stuck by Robert and his dis-satisfaction with DC.

I always felt that it was kind of odd with that. I think the sales were pretty good for the album, as it debuted fairly well. I know it was in the top 10. Jimmy played so well on this album as it seemed he was developing some new and unique styles. But you can only go so far with David Coverdale. He isn't Robert Plant, but overall did a fairly good job complimenting Jimmy.

Perhaps, with the US tour it wasn't advertised enough and importantly this was just prior before the internet really took off. I didn't hear about this US tour until it was cancelled.

Just commenting on your post Nirvana and this is about a proposed JP solo album and not the Coverdale/Page collaboration that is now twenty years ago and I don't want to derail this!

I always felt that it was kind of odd with that. I think the sales were pretty good for the album, as it debuted fairly well. I know it was in the top 10. Jimmy played so well on this album as it seemed he was developing some new and unique styles. But you can only go so far with David Coverdale. He isn't Robert Plant, but overall did a fairly good job complimenting Jimmy.

Perhaps, with the US tour it wasn't advertised enough and importantly this was just prior before the internet really took off. I didn't hear about this US tour until it was cancelled.

Just commenting on your post Nirvana and this is about a proposed JP solo album and not the Coverdale/Page collaboration that is now twenty years ago and I don't want to derail this!

Both Jimmy and David said they were told that there was nothing more after Japan.

Archived