3 Vancouver 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.pngCanada 97.3

4 Toronto 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.pngCanada 97.2

5 Calgary 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.pngCanada 96.6

5 Adelaide 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia 96.6

7 Sydney 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia 96.1

8 Helsinki 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.pngFinland 96.0

9 Perth 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia 95.9

10 Auckland 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.pngNew Zealand 95.7

Those are the most livable cities according to the boffins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_most_livable_cities

Australia ! :)

but of course i do agree with what has already been said about it being subjective, and needing to live and work in all of them to really judge, which can't possibly be done in one life time.

I'm with you Jules. I wouldn't trade my country for all the money in the world.

I have never walked down the street in any city or town here and even thought about someone carrying a gun, because it does not exist here. Homelessness and extreme poverty is rare here and our medical needs are mostly taken care of by the government. We have the most amazingly, beautiful and diverse scenery and Aussie's on the whole, have a laid back, easy going nature and attitude.

I was once told we are 10 years behind the general thinking of the UK and US ........ if that is the case, then i'm very happy with that description and equation. I hope we stay that way?

Our biggest problems are our politicians ....... and our cricket team ;)

I think you have to visit us here to appreciate our uniqueness. Anyone who has been here, will know what I mean.

Dorothea Mackellar said it best in a verse from her poem 'My Country' .....

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

I'm an Aussie and i'm proud of it!

Oh my oh my... you must have been in a totally different Indie then me. WORST COUNTRY EVER India is. Dont go there. Make a HUGE DETOUR around it. Avoid it, please, do!!!

People are terrible there. They are filthy (but I MEAN it, they piss and shit on the streets, throw waste everywhere around them, they dont care about hygiene), absolutely anti social (they are doing ALL THE THINGS you are told when you are a child in western world NOT TO DO... they do EXACTLY that!!!), they are unfriendly and mostly poor beggars with no limits whatsoever (they come to you and beg and beg and beg and when u say you dont give them anything, sorry, they beg on and go with you and are unfriendly and... brrrrrrrr).

No, really, dont go to India... It has beautifull nature (I was in the north, in Himalayas etc), but the people there just... almost not humans. I mean the buddhist part was nice, people were nice too, but the southern we went, the worse it was.

I dont want to say that ALL Indian people are like this, there are for sure exceptions and maybe in the south, it could be a whole different story, ok, but out of 1b people living there, I guess majority is living in these awfull conditions.

I have traveled through the world, been on many many places, in many many countries. I have seen poverty, richness, touristic places and uninhabited places too. I met friendly people and unfriendly people too. India is an extreme that I never ever met anywhere else.

Ok, back to topic. It is very subjectional (as you can see from what I have just said as well lol), but there are some objective charts too. HDP, healthcare, income, costs, medical care, crime rate etc etc etc... As far as I know, on top places, there is always Canada, Japan, Norway and such countries. So there is something to it.

From where I have been, I loved New Zealand the most. Nice place to live, you get everything there (mountains, oceans, deserts, forests, everything). People are getnle and nice towards eachother and its a "rich" country, where anyone can get a job and make a good living off it. Have I said that people are VERY friendly there too? :).

For me its New Zealand, but I believe Canada and those countries could be very nice too... It would perhaps be too cold in there for me only :). I like warmer climate :).

BTW. Sorry to all Indian people here. I know all is not that bad in there and not all Indian people are "bad". And also, people are people. They live their ways and its ok. Peace.

This just proves that is is all subjective - ones man's paradise in a another man's shit hole (literally in your case) and surely the most important thing is being around your loved ones; if one is lucky enough to have some.

I'm with you Jules. I wouldn't trade my country for all the money in the world.

I have never walked down the street in any city or town here and even thought about someone carrying a gun, because it does not exist here. Homelessness and extreme poverty is rare here and our medical needs are mostly taken care of by the government. We have the most amazingly, beautiful and diverse scenery and Aussie's on the whole, have a laid back, easy going nature and attitude.

I was once told we are 10 years behind the general thinking of the UK and US ........ if that is the case, then i'm very happy with that description and equation. I hope we stay that way?

Our biggest problems are our politicians ....... and our cricket team ;)

I think you have to visit us here to appreciate our uniqueness. Anyone who has been here, will know what I mean.

Dorothea Mackellar said it best in a verse from her poem 'My Country' .....

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

I'm an Aussie and i'm proud of it!

You're not far behind the US for big noting yourselves ;)

I think it's wrong to suggest gun crime doesn't exist in Aus, in particular Melbourne and Sydney has its underworld of gangs and gang related shootings going back many decades now. It just depends where you live and your experiences (again, subjective) There is plenty of crime and murder in Aus (I watch the shows:P) as there is everywhere humans are. Remember that there are only around 24 million people in Aus (a country the size of America) whereas America itself has over 300 million, the U.K around 60 million - therefore, it would be strange if Aus had a more dangerous society, would it not?

You're not far behind the US for big noting yourselves ;)

I think it's wrong to suggest gun crime doesn't exist in Aus, in particular Melbourne and Sydney has its underworld of gangs and gang related shootings going back many decades now. It just depends where you live and your experiences (again, subjective) There is plenty of crime and murder in Aus (I watch the shows:P) as there is everywhere humans are. Remember that there are only around 24 million people in Aus (a country the size of America) whereas America itself has over 300 million, the U.K around 60 million - therefore, it would be strange if Aus had a more dangerous society, would it not?

We have good reason to be "big noting" ourselves ;):D But no-one has to take my word for it, like I said, just ask anyone who has been here.

And of course crime exists here. There isn't a country in the world that it doesn't, but underworld gangs and gun crime, is in the minority here, in a very few places.

edit ..... it's not so much "big noting" ourselves .... it's more about being proud ........ of being an Aussie!

Edited by Whoopie Cat

We have good reason to be "big noting" ourselves ;):D But no-one has to take my word for it, like I said, just ask anyone who has been here.

And of course crime exists here. There isn't a country in the world that it doesn't, but underworld gangs and gun crime, is in the minority here, in a very few places.

edit ..... it's not so much "big noting" ourselves .... it's more about being proud ........ of being an Aussie!

You did say it doesn't exist now it does but in a few places? which is the same as the U.K then....

Well, I have been to Australia.....and you're not very friendly or laid-back at the airport :lol: but yes, it is a wonderful place (land of milk and honey and all that) and even if I couldn't find a decent curry I shall never forget my time there. I would gladly move to Aus in a heartbeat over the U.K but I'm just an unskilled POM so I guess I'll just have to hear "proud" Aussies telling me what I'm missing until the day I die...

I think there is a fine line between being proud and being smug to the less fortunate souls :( Australia has certainly avoided the global recession but there are signs that it is slowly catching up with you, for example: unemployment is rising slightly and the dollar isn't as strong, also the mining boom investment stage has most likely reached its peak.

So yes, I'm just jelly :lol: (and overusing emoticons)

Edited by Pagesbow

You did say it doesn't exist now it does but in a few places? which is the same as the U.K then....

Well, I have been to Australia.....and you're not very friendly or laid-back at the airport :lol: but yes, it is a wonderful place (land of milk and honey and all that) and even if I couldn't find a decent curry I shall never forget my time there. I would gladly move to Aus in a heartbeat over the U.K but I'm just an unskilled POM so I guess I'll just have to hear "proud" Aussies telling me what I'm missing until the day I die...

I think there is a fine line between being proud and being smug to the less fortunate souls :( Australia has certainly avoided the global recession but there are signs that it is slowly catching up with you, for example: unemployment is rising slightly and the dollar isn't as strong, also the mining boom investment stage has most likely reached its peak.

So yes, I'm just jelly :lol: (and overusing emoticons)

I visited the UK a few years ago, mainly the Devon, Cornwall area, but I also spent some time in London.

I loved all the beautiful little towns, villages and countryside of Devon and Cornwall, but i'm prejudiced, because I was born in Plymouth :o (I also love their pasties)

As far as airport customs go .... they suck everywhere, so we don't have a monopoly on sour faced, bad tempered and rude customs officers.

And i'll see your smiley and raise you a very smug one Australia-1.gif .......... ^_^

Oh my oh my... you must have been in a totally different Indie then me. WORST COUNTRY EVER India is. Dont go there. Make a HUGE DETOUR around it. Avoid it, please, do!!!

People are terrible there. They are filthy (but I MEAN it, they piss and shit on the streets, throw waste everywhere around them, they dont care about hygiene), absolutely anti social (they are doing ALL THE THINGS you are told when you are a child in western world NOT TO DO... they do EXACTLY that!!!), they are unfriendly and mostly poor beggars with no limits whatsoever (they come to you and beg and beg and beg and when u say you dont give them anything, sorry, they beg on and go with you and are unfriendly and... brrrrrrrr).

No, really, dont go to India... It has beautifull nature (I was in the north, in Himalayas etc), but the people there just... almost not humans. I mean the buddhist part was nice, people were nice too, but the southern we went, the worse it was.

I dont want to say that ALL Indian people are like this, there are for sure exceptions and maybe in the south, it could be a whole different story, ok, but out of 1b people living there, I guess majority is living in these awfull conditions.

I have traveled through the world, been on many many places, in many many countries. I have seen poverty, richness, touristic places and uninhabited places too. I met friendly people and unfriendly people too. India is an extreme that I never ever met anywhere else.

Sorry pal, but the question was " Best country in the world , and why" Not the worst country. In fact start your own thread for "The worst country in the world, and why" You can leave your comments on that.

And please amuse me. Tell me where exactly is "The Buddhist part" ?

I visited the UK a few years ago, mainly the Devon, Cornwall area, but I also spent some time in London.

I loved all the beautiful little towns, villages and countryside of Devon and Cornwall, but i'm prejudiced, because I was born in Plymouth :o (I also love their pasties)

As far as airport customs go .... they suck everywhere, so we don't have a monopoly on sour faced, bad tempered and rude customs officers.

And i'll see your smiley and raise you a very smug one Australia-1.gif .......... ^_^

Ah, an ex POM who escaped the old country! It all makes sense now :yesnod:

The English countryside is certainly lovely and "quaint" and all of that....it's just the sun doesn't come out very much or for prolonged periods (a mind blowing insight, I know) If England wasn't so damned gloomy and wet for 90 percent of the year it would be -well - it wouldn't be England, I guess. Australia is much more diverse in terms of landscape and obviously has a better climate if you enjoy sunshine. Although, when I landed in Victoria in was overcast and damp; so I felt right at home...although it was Autumn.

Same here. When I arrived in Melbourne in January it was like England. Grey and drizzly. But move a bit in land..... When I picked fruit in Victoria it was baking. 40 degrees every day. The sun was like a blow torch and the flies were murderous.

I loved Australia. I felt sad to leave. But with many things wanting to kill or seriously injure you on both sea and land, no wonder people didn't have guns !! A funnel web spider or a snake of some variety or for the aquatics amongst us how about a Box Jelly fish or maybe a great white shark?

Whoopie knows my feelings for down under ;)

Same here. When I arrived in Melbourne in January it was like England. Grey and drizzly. But move a bit in land..... When I picked fruit in Victoria it was baking. 40 degrees every day. The sun was like a blow torch and the flies were murderous.

I loved Australia. I felt sad to leave. But with many things wanting to kill or seriously injure you on both sea and land, no wonder people didn't have guns !! A funnel web spider or a snake of some variety or for the aquatics amongst us how about a Box Jelly fish or maybe a great white shark?

Whoopie knows my feelings for down under ;)

Yeah, I was mostly on the coast although it was April/May so it never got really hot. The weather was still pretty good if somewhat capricious (which is what VIC is known for, so) so it was no shock to get a bit of rain, then five minutes later, sunshine.

I too loved (love) Australia and loved an Australian girl for a long time. I guess I'll always be something of an Aus aficionado (if such a thing exists) and it was certainly upsetting to leave.

I think the whole "everything wants to kill you in Australia" is slightly blown out of proportion - sure - there are a lot of things that would happily bite you, etc and if you are walking in the bush it stands to reason there might be some beasties there, but I personally didn't see hardly any spiders (some people talk as if they are waiting on the runway for you as soon as you step off the plane) I think if one uses some common sense they should manage to survive a trip down under.

SAJ's rankings (from personal experience):

#1 Germany: The food! The forests! The frauleins! Driving on the autobahn...hiking on quiet German Sundays...
#2 Japan: Homogenous society...encountering the most polite people on earth...the bootleg district...kaiju films...
#3 England: Culture (the performing arts, books,)...historical sites
#4 Scotland: The friendliest people on earth...
#5 Switzerland: Scenic...sparkling...zipping from Zurich to Luzern and beyond via car or train...
#6 The Netherlands...the Dutch are among the most relaxed people in the world...
#7 United States: There's still about a half-dozen spots on the map that have yet to become TOTALLY ruined
#8 Sweden: Underated...high quality products and services
#9 Spain: Andalucia is terrific...vibrant night life...inexpensive
#10 Singapore...the laws are upheld...

Edited by SteveAJones

It seems that you must have immigrated to North Korea (one of the most poverty-stricken nations on the planet) from Central England. Since the English are very prone to and appreciate sarcasm, I applaud your choice. However, I might advise you to move back to Central England because if your new found home country of North Korea does not stop their pursuance of nuclear weapons, sometime in the next couple of years, than I believe that North Korea will cease to be a poverty-stricken nation and a dictatorship, but a vast wasteland of radiation and contamination. All brought upon themselves (or at least by the young leader of that nation, you know, the one that cuts his own hair).

My answer to the topic at hand is the United States of America. Specifically, the Great State of TEXAS!!! For more reasons that I could state. (Get it? State?)

I was being ironic, I still live in England.

Ah, an ex POM who escaped the old country! It all makes sense now :yesnod:

I was ten years old when my parents emigrated here, so i'm not really a Pom. But even though i'm an Australian citizen and i've been here a very long time, amazingly, I still have UK privileges.

Talking about "spiders waiting on the runway". On the first day we arrived here, we saw a bird swooping down on a cat and also a spider wrapped around a telegraph pole that was so big, it's legs were visible on each side of the pole :o

Just 2 weeks ago, I had a sleepy funnel web spider staggering around outside my back door. It had been woken up from it's winter semi hibernation by a lot of rain and water soaked soil. He's in permanent hibernation now.

So yes, we do have some nasty creatures here, but they're not usually an issue if we use common sense.

hhmmmm ...... I'm not doing so well at selling the wonders of my country now, am I? ..... hahaha

I think most of us are proud of the countries that we live in, although we also admit they have problems, or things we don't like about it. However, we are the only ones allowed to complain or put shit on our own country. The minute someone else tries to, it's an automatic reflex action to stand up for our beloved homeland.

(they are doing ALL THE THINGS you are told when you are a child in western world NOT TO DO... they do EXACTLY that!!!),

That's precisely the point: India is not a Western country and does not have a Western culture, you cannot judge it, nor any place in Asia, through Western eyes.

I somehow have come to the conclusion that the culture of Eastern countries is superior to ours, unfortunately I'm a person raised in the West, I must admit I don't comprehend the mentality of Eastern countries. When I visited China 20 years ago, the behaviour of people was a puzzle to me, same I can say of India or Thailand, but I don't think they're bad places nor I think the people are behaving inappropriately, it's just me who can't understand their cultural framework, to be honest I haven't even made attempts to understand it, I assume myself as a person of the West who'll probably live his entire lifetime in this hemisphere. As I said, I value the Eastern culture and think it's superior to ours, especially the role of individualism and the value of the community (which are not the same as in the West) that mentality of Eastern countries will probably remain alien to me, I would have needed to be born and raised there in order to fully assimilate it.

That's precisely the point: India is not a Western country and does not have a Western culture, you cannot judge it, nor any place in Asia, through Western eyes.

I somehow have come to the conclusion that the culture of Eastern countries is superior to ours, unfortunately I'm a person raised in the West, I must admit I don't comprehend the mentality of Eastern countries. When I visited China 20 years ago, the behaviour of people was a puzzle to me, same I can say of India or Thailand, but I don't think they're bad places nor I think the people are behaving inappropriately, it's just me who can't understand their cultural framework, to be honest I haven't even made attempts to understand it, I assume myself as a person of the West who'll probably live his entire lifetime in this hemisphere. As I said, I value the Eastern culture and think it's superior to ours, especially the role of individualism and the value of the community (which are not the same as in the West) that mentality of Eastern countries will probably remain alien to me, I would have needed to be born and raised there in order to fully assimilate it.

Yeah, sure, I agree, but you took my words out of context, perhaps i wrote it a little bit badly (my english is not that good). I totally accept different cultures and I would never ever say that the "western" one is superior to other. I was not only in India, but also in Thailand, Japan, China... What I wanted to say with that sentence is, that in India, people were totally unsocial and unpolite. You know.. eating with their bare hands is ok. Thats what they do. Shitting on a street in front of me is not. Its not a culture. Sorry.

Truth is they dont have ANY manners. I think it is their culture, so ok, I may have missused that particular sentence.

Sorry pal, but the question was " Best country in the world , and why" Not the worst country. In fact start your own thread for "The worst country in the world, and why" You can leave your comments on that.

And please amuse me. Tell me where exactly is "The Buddhist part" ?

I was only replying to previous post. I also added my best country adept at the end. I have no interest whatsoever in starting a new topic, just wanted to add my two cents to this one... Again, if you are from India, I am trully sorry if I offended you in any way. I only said what was my own experience, there are bad and unmanered and unpolite people EVERYWHRE in the world and as well as that, I believe many Indian people are nice, maybe much nicer then I am... Problem is I may have visited bad part of India on my way back from the mountains.

The buddhist part is around Leh, in the north, in mountains. It is called "small tibet". People were very nice and friendly there.

As I said, I value the Eastern culture and think it's superior to ours, especially the role of individualism and the value of the community (which are not the same as in the West) that mentality of Eastern countries will probably remain alien to me, I would have needed to be born and raised there in order to fully assimilate it.

With regard to Japan, a Westerner must accept they will never fully assimilate. You are a gaijin (foreigner) and you will always be a gaijin. In such a homogeneous society you may often feel like an outsider; you'll have to put your best effort forward to overcome xenophobia. However, the Japanese are among the most polite people on the planet; encountering racial discrimination has never felt so comfortable.

There was a time when the ex-patriot way of life epitomized by Ernest Hemingway and his circle of friends in Paris appealed greatly to me. However, there were two problems with that construct for me. For one, though I've never met a Frenchman I didn't like, I have never met a group of French whom I did like. So although it's a nice to place to visit, living in Paris wouldn't necessarily work for me. For another, I am not a very social person. Solution: live in a location where you are ostracized as an outsider. Hemingway and his ex-pat friends sought to reflect on their lives and the American experience together from afar, but I sought to reflect in solitude.

In conclusion, I must say that from school uniforms to salary man suits, this place is all about the collective as opposed to the individual. That's not to say individuality does not exist--of course it does, at least so long as I am here.

:superman:

Edited by SteveAJones

Even if you were born and raised there, it still might not be a good fit for you as an individual. I have a friend who moved half-way across the world from his affluent, well-connected family for this very reason. There are things he doesn't like about America, but he appreciates the blunt American approach to life.

I don’t believe that if you are born and raised in one particular country, that it somehow blurs ones objectivity to rating a world class country. Many people fall victim to patriotic indoctrination as a young children, while others are mentally strong enough to remain an individual and examine places objectively.

My list no particular order would be the following:

• Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Iceland
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Japan

I don’t believe that if you are born and raised in one particular country, that it somehow blurs ones objectivity to rating a world class country. Many people fall victim to patriotic indoctrination as a young children, while others are mentally strong enough to remain an individual and examine places objectively.

My list no particular order would be the following:

• Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Iceland
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Japan

HEY! WHERE IS AMERICA ASSHOLE!!!

USA! USA! USA!

NUMBER 1!!!!

That was a joke, I just could not resist. My wife is from Montreal and she tells me this is the main reason why us Americans are looked upon as rubes and buffoons in many parts of the world.

Though I love my country I do agree we come across a bit heavy handed at times, the whole "ugly American" thing.

Now don't flame me bro...just a joke.

Edited by Sagittarius Rising

America has taken a dive on most human development indicators, unfortunately. Whether it's a good thing (others are catching up) or it's a bad thing I don't know, but it speaks of how much the world has changed in the past few decades.

On the issue of being born and raised in one country my point was, I don't understand the mind frame of certain peoples in Far Eastern countries, there's a huge cultural divide between societies like Japan, China and the West, I don't think I could adapt to living in those societies. It's not that their culture is wrong or bad, it's that personally I have lived in the West all my life and I'm not willing to adapt, I accept the difference between them and us and I don't judge them, even among Western societies there's a fair degree of cultural separation.

So personally I have made a choice of respecting the Eastern mind frame and admiring them for their progress and discipline but I feel I belong to this other corner of the world.

Edited by Janvier