Favorite HMMT performance?

BlyZeppelinaren

On 2/22/2015 at 6:16 PM, nick2632 said:

I literally can't stop listening to San Francisco 4/27/1969!! That's definitely one of the top 5, if not top 3! It's perfect.

Anyway, does anyone know what tune they're jamming at the 16 minute mark?! "looking for a way out" "here we go round"... It's one of the best jams in a medley I've ever heard from Zep! And know if they played it again??

It's just a children's song called Here we go round the mulberry bush. You can find it on the web.

My fav is from the Boston Tea Party on jan 26th. The solo is played at breathtaking speed and the improv in the middle is beautiful, at one point we can hear Plant say "Oh Bonzo!" because of what John is doing with his bass foot. then we get the most creepy bow solo ever as Jimmy plays riffs from yardbird songs with the bow. I wish he would have done a little more like this.

4 hours ago, nick2632 said:

Anyone listen to Toronto 1969-08-18?

Not the best, but damn did that concert sound like a blast!? Love the way Plant introduces the band "On drums, and lead guitar.." lol. 

Anyway 2 questions about it (HMMT intro). Before Plant introduces Bonzo, he said "On bass guitar, and Hammond organ.. JPJ". Could have sworn Jonsey strictly played bass through 1969 because it's expensive to haul a Hammond organ around..?

Also, anyone know who introduced Plant!? Could that have been Jimmy Page!?!?

Doesn't sound like Page. Could be Bonham but doesn't really sound like him either. Maybe someone like Cole or grant. One of the funniest band introductions all the way around. 

9 hours ago, nick2632 said:

aaaah sorry, misread the question. Yeah, I think that is Page....

Cheers for the link.

Oh, and my Fav. has to be RAH. Multi tracked with good visual, and a cracker of a delivery. One of the finest things ever captured on film.

Edited by rm2551

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Cheers for the link.

Oh, and my Fav. has to be RAH. Multi tracked with good visual, and a cracker of a delivery. One of the finest things ever captured on film.

and Jimmy' s favorite version as well. While discussing his plans for a chronological live album in the mid seventies he specifically mentioned this winning version.

I prefer the one's where he uses the bow, such as the april 27 1969 Fillmore W version. Naughty version

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Cheers for the link.

It being his birthday and being on film it's probably just the one he remembers best.

(Not saying it isn't pure magic he spills out during the solos on it)

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

On 12/29/2013 at 9:52 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

All of the ones mentioned are great, I really dig the one from 3/7/70 Montreux too...can I get an amen, Strider? :P

You most certainly can get an "Amen".

Although if they ever did release Montreux 1970 officially, Jimmy would have to edit "Bottle Up and Go" from the medley.

Asking for your favourite "How Many More Times" is like asking about your favourite fuck. They are all great.

Even the 1975 HMMTs were great.

One HMMT that I have rediscovered is November 6, 1969 Winterland. The tape quality isn't the best but the pulverizing power of the band shines through. Love the intro jam. The medley is the perfect length without killing momentum and Plant getting lost in audience participation routines. Jimmy's guitar sounds massive and it really sounds like the band is crushing San Francisco at the end.

Edited by Strider

10 hours ago, Strider said:

You most certainly can get an "Amen".

Although if they ever did release Montreux 1970 officially, Jimmy would have to edit "Bottle Up and Go" from the medley.

Asking for your favourite "How Many More Times" is like asking about your favourite fuck. They are all great.

Even the 1975 HMMTs were great.

One HMMT that I have rediscovered is November 6, 1969 Winterland. The tape quality isn't the best but the pulverizing power of the band shines through. Love the intro jam. The medley is the perfect length without killing momentum and Plant getting lost in audience participation routines. Jimmy's guitar sounds massive and it really sounds like the band is crushing San Francisco at the end.

Four years later...lmao!

• 2 years later...