Thanks England

redrum

It fascinates me how the English language came to be the world's most dominant language. It is THE language of many different disciplines and fields of endeavor: Commerce, science, pop/rock music, etc, etc. I understand the process by which this took place: Commerce and Colonization, (the sun never sets on the British Empire, etc.) and the preeminence of British popular culture (Beatles, etc.) but it's still remarkable that a small island country perched high up in the North Atlantic produced the world's most dominant language. (much to the annoyance of the French).

The English accent is VERY sexy when spoken by a beautiful girl. The English speak with such precision and perfect enunciation. (I'm thinking primarily of the London accent, I suppose. I happened to catch a Vivian Leigh/Laurence Olivier film a few nights ago--Wow!)

The English accent is VERY sexy when spoken by a beautiful girl. The English speak with such precision and perfect enunciation. (I'm thinking primarily of the London accent, I suppose. I happened to catch a Vivian Leigh/Laurence Olivier film a few nights ago--Wow!)

Sorry, but a "London Accent" is cockney - think Michael Caine in The Italian Job. To speak with precision and perfect enunciation you generally have to be schooled to speak like that or be corrected by your parents at an early age. I worked for a family who spoke, as you put it, the perfect English accent. They were schooled privately, no doubt at great expense, and lived 10 miles from me. Where as I speak with a Northern English accent, they spoke like the queen !!

There really isn't an English accent, we have far too many dialects for there to be one. Slave put a great example of that previously

It fascinates me how the English language came to be the world's most dominant language. It is THE language of many different disciplines and fields of endeavor: Commerce, science, pop/rock music, etc, etc. I understand the process by which this took place: Commerce and Colonization, (the sun never sets on the British Empire, etc.) and the preeminence of British popular culture (Beatles, etc.) but it's still remarkable that a small island country perched high up in the North Atlantic produced the world's most dominant language. (much to the annoyance of the French).

England was the greatest country that this ever been or ever will be

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, kipper said:

Thank you England for all the laughs from your great comedy teams:

Monty  Python

Benny Hill

Mr Bean

...and of course the Royal Family

LOL

Mr. Bean is our fave. :)