Robert Plant Really, Really Wants to Work With Jack White

Virginia

Seems like a natural for the two of them to get together. Maybe Robert will rock out a little more. Even if they went with the blues/country sound Jack has mastered on his last two solo discs, I'd buy it for sure. Love Jack White! :yesnod:

I have always thought Robert Plant and Jack White should get together and it seems like such an obvious and natural path for Plant to choose that it does give me pause as to whether it will actually ever occur. For if there is one thing Plant has shown over the years, it is to never expect the expected with him. He has a mischievous sense of humour and likes to cross people up by doing the least likely thing.

I would love for a Plant/White collaboration to happen, but sooooo many people are clamoring for one now, that he may decide to throw everyone a curve ball again and go off into something else entirely.

I have always thought Robert Plant and Jack White should get together and it seems like such an obvious and natural path for Plant to choose that it does give me pause as to whether it will actually ever occur. For if there is one thing Plant has shown over the years, it is to never expect the expected with him. He has a mischievous sense of humour and likes to cross people up by doing the least likely thing.

I would love for a Plant/White collaboration to happen, but sooooo many people are clamoring for one now, that he may decide to throw everyone a curve ball again and go off into something else entirely.

Jack White is a revelation and I like his work from The Raconteurs to The White Stripes and also his solo stuff.

It's no coincidence that my greatest musical influences have been associated with him in one form or another.

The most recent being with Neil Young on A Letter Home and previously with Jimmy Page on It Might Get Loud.

I read an article a little while ago where Page was asked if there was a riff he wished he'd written and he said, Seven Nation Army.

I'd like to see a Plant/Young collaboration too but that is as likely as he and White getting together, at least for the moment.

It would help the cause if White were in Nashville at the same time as Plant and not playing a gig hundreds of miles away.

• 6 months later...

Yeah and one of the few Texans to use the term "wanker" - although we do have another one around here.....

He wanks people around...couldn't think of a better word for him. I am extremely tired of his antics.

Jack...lead the wanker on...maybe he will know how it feels to really want something and not get it!

He wanks people around...couldn't think of a better word for him. I am extremely tired of his antics.

Move along...nothing to see here.

Am I the only one that thinks a collaboration between these two would be a bad idea. For all Robert's espousals of wanting to keep moving forward this has the distinct smell of a back step. I've liked Jack White in the past but he's gone off the boil in the past few years. His music is nowhere near as urgent as it was on those early White Stripes albums. He's become something akin to the American Noel Gallagher, resting on his laurels and churning out dull, safe and unchallenging music.

Robert on the other hand at least attempted to keep pushing the envelope. I know his music and choices are not popular with everybody on this forum, but I for one have respected his decision not to stand still.

Am I the only one that thinks a collaboration between these two would be a bad idea. For all Robert's espousals of wanting to keep moving forward this has the distinct smell of a back step. I've liked Jack White in the past but he's gone off the boil in the past few years. His music is nowhere near as urgent as it was on those early White Stripes albums. He's become something akin to the American Noel Gallagher, resting on his laurels and churning out dull, safe and unchallenging music.

Robert on the other hand at least attempted to keep pushing the envelope. I know his music and choices are not popular with everybody on this forum, but I for one have respected his decision not to stand still.

Lets just say I'm up in the air with you on wether this collab would work. However, saying that Jack Whites music is playing it and that his music is dull and boring compared to what RP is playing? This i dont agree on...Not that i dont like what RP is doing now i just think on the "dull, boring" front one could sleep much easier to his album than Jack White... Plus look at JW... He had hits with the White Stripes, the Raconteurs, as a drummer with the Dead Weather, he was in a documentary with ... Ummm ... Let me see ... Oh JIMMY PAGE... He has had a successful solo career... His most recent album was nominated for a grammy, not to mention all the interesting work with vinyl records he's done with HIS PRIVATE LABEL Third Man Records... His work as producer alone makes him a hot commodity these days between working with iconic artist to resurrecting obscur artists. Not to mention Third Man also takes an historical approach with some of the vinyls cut so JW helps keep old music alive. And if these are examples of resting on your laurels then maybe I'm with RP and I want to rest on JW's laurels too. I'm mean as the dust settles on their careers and its a while before JW's career is over I think JW will have more output wether solo, in a band or as a producer.

This sounds pretty urgent to me

https://youtu.be/qI-95cTMeLM

I think it's a bit harsh to say White is the American Noel Gallagher! Now I'm a big fan of Noel but Jack White's a far more interesting musician. Personally, I'm loving Jack's solo career, his live shows seem to be really energetic and I've loved his last two records. Yeah, he doesn't sound as raw as he did on the early White Stripes stuff but that happens to all musicians as they age.

I agree though that it could be seen as a step back though in the sense that White is really like a young Page playing wise - so I imagine a collaboration may sound quite old school with a Zeppelin I/II vibe. If the clip of them playing The Lemon Song is anything to go by I have high hopes if a collaboration happens.

Lets just say I'm up in the air with you on wether this collab would work. However, saying that Jack Whites music is playing it and that his music is dull and boring compared to what RP is playing? This i dont agree on...Not that i dont like what RP is doing now i just think on the "dull, boring" front one could sleep much easier to his album than Jack White... Plus look at JW... He had hits with the White Stripes, the Raconteurs, as a drummer with the Dead Weather, he was in a documentary with ... Ummm ... Let me see ... Oh JIMMY PAGE... He has had a successful solo career... His most recent album was nominated for a grammy, not to mention all the interesting work with vinyl records he's done with HIS PRIVATE LABEL Third Man Records... His work as producer alone makes him a hot commodity these days between working with iconic artist to resurrecting obscur artists. Not to mention Third Man also takes an historical approach with some of the vinyls cut so JW helps keep old music alive. And if these are examples of resting on your laurels then maybe I'm with RP and I want to rest on JW's laurels too. I'm mean as the dust settles on their careers and its a while before JW's career is over I think JW will have more output wether solo, in a band or as a producer.

This sounds pretty urgent to mehttps://youtu.be/qI-95cTMeLM

I am aware of much of the stuff Jack White has been doing, some I've liked, some I've really liked. I have all the White Stripes albums (even one of the 300 promo only Get Behind Me Satan lps), both the Raconteurs lps, his 2 solo lps but I'm afraid I passed on The Dead Weather. And I accept that he's a very busy man. When I refered to him as resting on his laurels I meant musically. I think his output is a bit more quantity over quality these days. If he'd spent a bit more time on the music from his last lp rather than holograms, dual grooves and hidden tracks on the vinyl version I might have enjoyed it more.

As for Roberts music, I'm not a huge fan of some of his stuff but I do respect him for always wanting to try something new.

I should also say that I'm very aware of a lot of the good Jack White does with Third Man doing all the things mentioned in your above post.

I also do appreciate your opinion, it might not be the same as mine but wouldn't the world be boring if we all agreed.

I am aware of much of the stuff Jack White has been doing, some I've liked, some I've really liked. I have all the White Stripes albums (even one of the 300 promo only Get Behind Me Satan lps), both the Raconteurs lps, his 2 solo lps but I'm afraid I passed on The Dead Weather. And I accept that he's a very busy man. When I refered to him as resting on his laurels I meant musically. I think his output is a bit more quantity over quality these days. If he'd spent a bit more time on the music from his last lp rather than holograms, dual grooves and hidden tracks on the vinyl version I might have enjoyed it more.

As for Roberts music, I'm not a huge fan of some of his stuff but I do respect him for always wanting to try something new.

I should also say that I'm very aware of a lot of the good Jack White does with Third Man doing all the things mentioned in your above post.

I also do appreciate your opinion, it might not be the same as mine but wouldn't the world be boring if we all agreed.

Reading lespaulplayers post made me think that the collab could be kind of a been there done that for Robert... I respect your opinion as well... Perspectives are always changing... From my angle I'm in awe of the music JW puts out because its new but classic at the same time. Other artist who attempt this just dont come off authentic or genuine...

Reading lespaulplayers post made me think that the collab could be kind of a been there done that for Robert... I respect your opinion as well... Perspectives are always changing... From my angle I'm in awe of the music JW puts out because its new but classic at the same time. Other artist who attempt this just dont come off authentic or genuine...

Really agree with the new but classic comment. It's the reason I prefer The White Stripes/Jack White over The Black Keys. White took the old blues stuff and did something original with it whilst keeping the vibe like Jimmy did in the '60s. Having said that I loved the Dr. John record that Dan Auerbach did. And yeah, I agree that Robert may think it's a 'been there, done that' kind of deal. I think it would be incredible though, Jack White's my favourite of the young blues-rockers precisely because it doesn't seem like he's retreading old ground. But yeah, as I imagine it would sound quite Zeppelin-esque as lots of White's stuff does maybe Robert would see it as a step back. The one guy I'd love to see White collaborate with is JPJ, as it seems Them Crooked Vultures aren't going to come back would be great to see JPJ rocking out again.

Jack White being called new, but classic, is perfect. Jack White is fusing so many musical influences, when the current climate doesn't really allow for that kind of expression. Robert Plant would be honored to work with JW and has said such as recent as 2014. I don't think anyone who admires another musicians' "buccaneer spirit" is thinking, "been there, done that". Jack's most recent disc is truly genius.

Mmmm......, I haven't really been into Jack White as of yet. Seems I should give his music a chance (I did like him in the It might get loud doc.).

It might just be a matter of personal taste/preference, but I'd rather see Robert work with Jack than with a dj like Diplo (dance just isn't my thing.......)

You know....., I've also been think about people Jimmy could possibly work with (I know it likely won't happen, but still.........).

I'd also like it if Jack were to work with Jimmy, them actually creating music together. How about a blues-talent like Joe Bonamassa?

Archived