^^ Hey, I never said I was "rooting" for the Cavs--truth be told, I would actually like to see Golden State close it out tonight & solidify their status as one of the all-time greats.

What I said was, I would not be mad if LeBron and the Cavs did win--it's no sweat off my balls either way...  :D

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I see Cleveland is a 2-point favourite tonight. Are you taking those points Rick?

Sath, I think you and PC are the only two people here rooting for Cleveland...unless there are more lurking silently?

n64-o.gif

Gonna be a great game 7, hopefully Lebron can keep this form for one more game. Can't help but wonder how last years series would have gone if the Cavs had Irving and Love. 

Should be a game for the ages tomorrow.  I will cheer for GS.  Containing Lebron is going to be a key and either Thomson or Curry will have to be on their game. If not both.  I just am not a believer in the supporting cast Lebron has.  Sure they have come through in the last two.  But I will be shocked if a team that won 73 games, the record, loses 3 in a row.

Lets go Warriors!!!!!  You guys have to be at your best.  Hit your 3s.  Set up picks.  Guard Lebron down low and give him nothing free.  Cover him and Irving and let the rest shoot all day.  If GS can set up some quick pass plays in the paint, and get the shots off before one Lebron comes barreling down to reject the shots, they can catch the Cavs who will be playing perimiter D all night.  They are going to be hell bent on stopping Thomson and Curry at the perimeter.  Easier said than done.  Green and Inguadalia will be big parts of the puzzle and especially on D.   I hope Curry shoots the fucking lights out.

Well, that was exciting--I don't know where I would rank the whole series as far as all-time great NBA Finals, but game 7 lived up to the hype, in my eyes.

As I've said a few times on this thread, I had no real rooting interest & I'm actually happy to see LeBron get another ring...

And I know there are a few who might disagree, but now the Warriors will join that somewhat dubious group, with the 2001 Seattle Mariners and the 18-1 Patriots--a mere footnote in sports history...

Cleveland was just better and grittier when it mattered most. And I have to eat my words and even worse, watch Kevin Love get a championship ring. Ugh.

Lebron James became only the third player to post a triple-double in a Game 7 of the Championship series...Lakers Jerry West and James Worthy are the other two. Lebron also becomes the fifth player to win 3 or more NBA Finals MVP awards, joining Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, and Tim Duncan. Sheesh...think you could win a few games with that lineup?!? Magic at PG, Jordan at the 2, Lebron small forward, Tim Duncan power forward and Shaq at center.

Well...at least long-suffering Cleveland fans can at last celebrate a championship. In this century, the Boston Red Sox ends their drought...Cleveland...can Chicago be next?

Draymond Green is the goat..and needs to grow up. All of a sudden, the shots stopped falling for the Warriors. Sorry chef free and the chase...I did not see Golden State collapsing like that and choking away a 3-1 lead. I hope you did not lose too much money, chef free. Lot of soul-searching in Oakland...the team chokes away the championship and the Oakland police lose THREE police chiefs in a week! :o

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, that was exciting--I don't know where I would rank the whole series as far as all-time great NBA Finals, but game 7 lived up to the hype, in my eyes.

As I've said a few times on this thread, I had no real rooting interest & I'm actually happy to see LeBron get another ring...

And I know there are a few who might disagree, but now the Warriors will join that somewhat dubious group, with the 2001 Seattle Mariners and the 18-1 Patriots--a mere footnote in sports history...

Not a great series...and as a whole, the 2016 playoffs were underwhelming with terrible refereeing. As to your last point, my only quibble is that at least the Patriots and the Warriors made it to the championship game and lost to incredible, once-in-a-lifetime efforts by the other team. Seattle is definitely a footnote because they never won and did not even get close again. But the Patriots have championships and Golden State did win last year.  If they continue their run and pick up another title or two, their rep is stilll assured.

Put it this way...just because they lost, the NBA is not going to void their season. The 73-9 record is still etched in the history books. A team will have to win 74 games if they want to break the record. Only one team can win a championship. There has to be a loser. But 73-9 is still a great season.

^^^ Yes Sath, a case could be made for Kyrie for MVP. Everyone expected Lebron to go off in Game 5 with Green suspended. But nobody thought Kyrie would explode for 41 points! Curry's defensive liabilities were exposed in this series.

So...237 days...7 months and 24 days later the season is over. I think most preseason picks had Cleveland meeting Golden State in the Finals, with some scattered support for San Antonio and Oklahoma City...and a few delusionals picking the Clippers.

But I don't think many had Cleveland winning.

Can there be a rubber match...a third consecutive Cleveland-Golden State Finals? The East is so weak the Cavs will be prohibitive favourites to return. Unless Lebron decides to take his talents elsewhere again.

Golden State might look different after the off-season. They have to decide what to do about Varejoke and Draymond Green, who is now branded a dirty player, an idiot, a disgrace, and a goat that cost the Warriors what should have been an easy 5-game series.

Even so, Golden State will be strong again next season. OKC will be back and so should an improved Portland team.

My only question is San Antonio. Are they losing all of their Big 3? Or just Duncan? Even if Tony and Manu come back they are far from what they once were. Even if Popovich gives them reduced regular season minutes, I don't see them being effective in the playoffs.

Is there a saviour for any team in the draft? The Simmons kid or one of the Kentucky crew? I don't see any transcendent talent out there.

A local radio host that I often talk to was talking about the best  teams and players of all time.  His own all time team and all.  Well, Jerry West is on my team and the 70 Lakers to me are the best ever.  Not the Bulls.  Big deal, they won 70 and the Lakers won 69.  The Lakers won 33 in a row.  A record I do not think will ever fall.  Even the Warriors with their record 73 wins, could not do that.   Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West.  That is all you need to know  And on his first or second team he had Tim Duncan.   no Dr J????  Dr J is better than Tim Duncan all day.    I think he had Chamberlain on his first team and Jabbaar on this second?  I agree with that.  Guards were Jordan and either Magic or someone else I cant think of.  He did not have West on either team.  West holds the record for most 40 pt plus finals games at 10.  Lebron has 4.  And West had no 3 pt line.  His miracle shot at the Garden was a winning shot, and not a tying shot in the games rules of today.  He was a monster of a player and thus his image is on the NBA logo

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

A local radio host that I often talk to was talking about the best  teams and players of all time.  His own all time team and all.  Well, Jerry West is on my team and the 70 Lakers to me are the best ever.  Not the Bulls.  Big deal, they won 70 and the Lakers won 69.  The Lakers won 33 in a row.  A record I do not think will ever fall.  Even the Warriors with their record 73 wins, could not do that.   Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West.  That is all you need to know  And on his first or second team he had Tim Duncan.   no Dr J????  Dr J is better than Tim Duncan all day.    I think he had Chamberlain on his first team and Jabbaar on this second?  I agree with that.  Guards were Jordan and either Magic or someone else I cant think of.  He did not have West on either team.  West holds the record for most 40 pt plus finals games at 10.  Lebron has 4.  And West had no 3 pt line.  His miracle shot at the Garden was a winning shot, and not a tying shot in the games rules of today.  He was a monster of a player and thus his image is on the NBA logo

Rick, it's great you are a Jerry West fan but we go thru this every time...it was the 1972 team that won 33 in a row on the way to a record 69 and won the championship. The 1970 team LOST to the Knicks in the Finals. That was the famous Willis Reed limping out for Game 7 series.

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Rick, it's great you are a Jerry West fan but we go thru this every time...it was the 1972 team that won 33 in a row on the way to a record 69 and won the championship. The 1970 team LOST to the Knicks in the Finals. That was the famous Willis Reed limping out for Game 7 series.

Well shoot me for getting the year wrong.  Its tough to be exact unless its Pearl Harbor or Kennedy's assassination.  But thank you for letting me know.  The merits I present I stand by

46 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well shoot me for getting the year wrong.  Its tough to be exact unless its Pearl Harbor or Kennedy's assassination.  But thank you for letting me know.  The merits I present I stand by

I know every year the Lakers won a championship. Hell, I even remember the painful years they lost. I remember every year the Raiders, USC, LA Kings, Angels, and Dodgers won a championship. Just as I am sure you remember all the Buffalo team championships...which was when, exactly? ;):P

I bet Walter can name every Yankee championship and Kingzoso every Cardinals championship year.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I know every year the Lakers won a championship. Hell, I even remember the painful years they lost. I remember every year the Raiders, USC, LA Kings, Angels, and Dodgers won a championship. Just as I am sure you remember all the Buffalo team championships...which was when, exactly? ;):P

I bet Walter can name every Yankee championship and Kingzoso every Cardinals championship year.

Not every Yankees championship.  Too many... ;) 

I do remember them all in my lifetime span and the losses too - ouch!

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Wide right

59 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This is the NBA thread.  You want to go there Walter?  Go check the AL East standings and tell me where your team is?

Resting on their 27 World Championships, that's where they are!  When are the O's actually gonna do something - other than sniff the playoffs and never even get out of the AL? :hysterical: 

Btw, Strider brought me into the other sports commentary in this thread.  Not that there's anything more to say about the NBA - except get historical dates wrong! ;) 

Wow, LZFan77...now I need to go look up the team that won 33 straight games!!!   I mean, WTF, has anyone come close since??  Talk about an accomplishment.

I come hear to learn LZ, and I learn a whole lot more!!

Thanks for the great thread.  Game 7 was nice, that whole 3 or 4 minute stretch, back and forth, where no one could score...that was nerve wracking!!  Congrats to Cleveland and their fans.

Archived