Real Claim Or ...?

apantherfrommd

I've been reading this with bended ear the past few days.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/led-zeppelin-and-grand-funk-railroad-10-18-69-olympia-stadium-the-shut-down.1632839/page-3

It would be great to know if a full show video of Detroit 69 Olympia is out there.

Jesus Christ...I remember reading about this show (Hammer Of The Gods, maybe?). Damn, if film of this exists it makes the Detroit '77 video seem like a pile of puke! :lol: 

You hear a lot of sea stories in trading circles from time to time, but this doesn't seem like one of 'em...the fuckin' broad is actually describing the damn film, and in great gory detail too. I'm not even done reading the whole discussion yet and I'm just about 100% convinced this could be the real deal. Like Strider said, we'll wait and see.

I'm confused as it's about grand Funk Railroad or Zep?  I always hated that GFR thought they were in the same arena as Zeppelin… Which they clearly weren't… They sold out a couple shows here and there  but Zeppelin sold out every show. .

I'm confused as it's about grand Funk Railroad or Zep?  I always hated that GFR thought they were in the same arena as Zeppelin… Which they clearly weren't… They sold out a couple shows here and there  but Zeppelin sold out every show. .

Talk about missing the forest for the trees. It's not that difficult to figure out...he/she is describing the Lee Michaels/MC5/GFR/Led Zeppelin show that went down at the Olympic Stadium in Detroit October 18, 1969. The story is being teased out bit by bit, so you'll have to wait for the Zeppelin part, as they played last.

Just read the last of the story posted and nice to see the truth has finally been revealed. GKR manager was the dick, NOT Peter Grant. Detroit had a curfew, the show was already running late, and Zeps contract specifically stated that if they played for less than 50 minutes they would not get paid. GFR manager knew all of this yet told the band to keep playing...even the MC knew this and blew up at their manager when he pulled this crap.

GFR IMO was really not at fault, they were three young guys doing what their manager told them to do. The fault lies 100% on GFR manager Terry Knight.

I have to admit I'm new to forums and didn't realize that the Detroit show thread was pages and pages long… I was expecting Actual live footage or audio… That might come soon I guess… And you're right it seems that this was just a manager trying to get his band some undo credit but like somebody said in the thread Zep ruled the 70s can't you be happy with that? Absolutely :-)

Right off the bat, the person posting this story posts an image purported to be from Detroit 10-18-69 when in fact, its from a music store in California in May of 1969. It doesn't make or break his legitimacy regarding the existence of the Zep audio and/or video. But at the very least, it seems as if he's misinformed.

Just read the last of the story posted and nice to see the truth has finally been revealed. GKR manager was the dick, NOT Peter Grant. Detroit had a curfew, the show was already running late, and Zeps contract specifically stated that if they played for less than 50 minutes they would not get paid. GFR manager knew all of this yet told the band to keep playing...even the MC knew this and blew up at their manager when he pulled this crap.

GFR IMO was really not at fault, they were three young guys doing what their manager told them to do. The fault lies 100% on GFR manager Terry Knight.

Terry Knight was a piece of work all right...a real jerk. Stories abounded in the 1970s about his shenanigans. He fucked GFR royally...there was a real good article in either Crawdaddy or Rolling Stone in the early '70s that laid bare what a sham huckster Terry Knight had been.

I find this story very hard to believe. Did Sam no post a contract from May 69 regarding recording/filming Zeppelin? If that was the same sort of contract for this show then surely someone from Zeppelin's camp would have spotted filming prior to the band going on stage? Also one of the posters asked the film hoarder to take a picture to authenticate it, but alas none has ever surfaced. "Can't upload it to youtube for - ahem contractual reasons"

Also one of the posters asked the film hoarder to take a picture to authenticate it, but alas none has ever surfaced. "Can't upload it to youtube for - ahem contractual reasons"

Well, we've seen that kinda thing happen before -even with members of this very forum: they claim to have or have access to this or that hitherto uncirculating goodie, but when they're really pressed to put up or shut up, that's when the lame ass "I was told not to share it" or some other variation of the usual trader buck passing/bullshit excuses happens.

I find this story very hard to believe. Did Sam no post a contract from May 69 regarding recording/filming Zeppelin? If that was the same sort of contract for this show then surely someone from Zeppelin's camp would have spotted filming prior to the band going on stage? Also one of the posters asked the film hoarder to take a picture to authenticate it, but alas none has ever surfaced. "Can't upload it to youtube for - ahem contractual reasons"

I suppose it would depend on whether the filming was taking place on or to the side of the stage, or from the audience?

I suppose it would depend on whether the filming was taking place on or to the side of the stage, or from the audience?

Even so Sean, Peter Grant would have surely seen it from the side of the stage and from what has been described, filming from the audience would have been a tough ask. This story should be taken the same way as the guy who reckoned he had the film of Zeppelin at Central Park that same year. If I recall the last I heard was that he was synching the audio to the video footage. Never materialised

Nothing to see here. The Poster of that thread on thegearpage has already posted multiple threads about other topics (including another one about GFR), and proceeded to troll them all. He was posting in another thread about "the best album of the 1980s" and he was rubbing people the wrong way because they didn't agree with his choice. His grand funk/zeppelin "stories" read like fan fiction.  He was asked very early on in the thread for proof, back before any of the animosity against him popped up, and he proceeded to post pictures from unrelated dates, a 4 year old clip of the MC5 from youtube, and a photo from a bootleg cover. He offered to post clips, and then he posted photos from Getty images. 

I'm getting flashbacks of the 90s when people used to do this kind of sh*t alllll the time. This has nothing to do with people being too pushy or not being respectful of the guy. He was just waiting for someone to get annoyed so he could say "Thanks to you, now nobody gets to have it". 

There is no video, there is no audio. There are people who get off toying with people about this kind of thing.  

Do. Not. Feed.The.Troll.

Nothing to see here. The Poster of that thread on thegearpage has already posted multiple threads about other topics (including another one about GFR), and proceeded to troll them all. He was posting in another thread about "the best album of the 1980s" and he was rubbing people the wrong way because they didn't agree with his choice. His grand funk/zeppelin "stories" read like fan fiction.  He was asked very early on in the thread for proof, back before any of the animosity against him popped up, and he proceeded to post pictures from unrelated dates, a 4 year old clip of the MC5 from youtube, and a photo from a bootleg cover. He offered to post clips, and then he posted photos from Getty images. 

I'm getting flashbacks of the 90s when people used to do this kind of sh*t alllll the time. This has nothing to do with people being too pushy or not being respectful of the guy. He was just waiting for someone to get annoyed so he could say "Thanks to you, now nobody gets to have it". 

There is no video, there is no audio. There are people who get off toying with people about this kind of thing.  

Do. Not. Feed.The.Troll.

Exactly. Early on, sounded like it was a chance of being legit - but not backed up by anything, and worse, those unrelated images posted? - almost certainly trolling. (99.9%)

Pity really, the post has some good writing that although may well be entirely just his/her imagination, was a good read. It would be great for someone in the inner circle to actually pen some nice anecdotal stories. Even better if someone was to show/share some private video they had from the side/back of stage or whatever. You just never know if there remains gems in old boxes as of yet unknown to us.

Last I read, some of the other participants in the discussion were beginning to call out the OP on their bullshit. So I will happily begin chowing down on my Chuck Taylors now for thinking earlier in this discussion that there might have been something to the claims.

Jesus...at my age I should fucking know better: "Fool me once" etc etc etc :lol:

Archived