England

leddy

Pardon my ignorance again but can you explain what chavs and hen parties are? Thanks :)

Sure.

These are chavs:

The fact that they are from Manchester is irrelevant. They're in pretty much every town. If you're lucky you won't have to deal with them often - like me. Look pleasant, don't they?

Hen parties are basically as Lilith mentioned, hen nights - bride-to-be's partying. Though, nowadays, they're no longer just for the evening.

Sure.

These are chavs:

The fact that they are from Manchester is irrelevant. They're in pretty much every town. If you're lucky you won't have to deal with them often - like me. Look pleasant, don't they?

Hen parties are basically as Lilith mentioned, hen nights - bride-to-be's partying. Though, nowadays, they're no longer just for the evening.

Thanks LDW. We have chavs in the states - gangs we generally refer to them as. Our bride-to-be parties are called bachelorette parties and grooms have bachelor parties.

A lot of people think of England as 'quaint' - and then you come here and see some chav lurking on a street corner, knocking back Stella.

Oh no, Stella Artois is a chav brand?! I'll have to switch then. :D

I really liked the John Smith's when I was in the UK last time, hopefully that's not a disreputable brew.

Gee, I wonder what you would catch over there? I wonder what happend to that guy gotdashakes? I almost wet myself laughing when he posted about fishing off that hotel balcomy overlooking the Thames on the night of the Zeppelin reunion. :o

Are there any fish in the Thames?

:mellow:

Oh no, Stella Artois is a chav brand?! I'll have to switch then. :D

I really liked the John Smith's when I was in the UK last time, hopefully that's not a disreputable brew.

Stella isn't a chav drink, per se, though it does have the wonderful distinction of being known as 'wife beater' where I'm from. Nice.

:unsure:

John Smith's is a good brew - no bad connotations as far as I know. You may carry on drinking it :D

Last time I was over in Blighty I was amazed to discover that these days they can last a whole weekend or even a week! :o

People tend to book the local B&B's in Nottingham for that purpose. Does wonders for the local tourism board, but it's a nightmare in town at night. Though, apparently the Eastern Bloc in Europe has become increasingly popular for stag dos.

These are chavs:

Typical jackasses with pitbulls, just like the morons over here. <_<

I used to live among the 'A Street Northside' gang of doofuses. I'm surprised they even knew they were on the north side. :lol: Those were the 'good ol days' with shootouts, hostage situations, constant helicopter flyovers, drug busts right in front of my house, etc. I say let 'em all kill each other and save us on court costs. :D

Typical jackasses with pitbulls, just like the morons over here. <_<

I used to live among the 'A Street Northside' gang of doofuses. I'm surprised they even knew they were on the north side. :lol: Those were the 'good ol days' with shootouts, hostage situations, constant helicopter flyovers, drug busts right in front of my house, etc. I say let 'em all kill each other and save us on court costs. :D

Whilst I would more than love to have them fight amongst themselves, the thing is, they don't. They target the public. A 20 year girl was kicked to death for being a 'goth'. Her boyfriend barely managed to survive. We hear of people all the time getting beaten up simple because they look 'emo'. And, if you try and stand up to these kids - because that's what they still are - you better be prepared for them to set upon you.

Sophie Lancaster

I don't know about you, but I'd rather walk through a park at night with goths, than with chavs.

Sure.

These are chavs:

Is it anything like the good old days?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_Rockers

Though, apparently the Eastern Bloc in Europe has become increasingly popular for stag dos.

I hear Prague is a hot spot for both stag and hen dos. Hate to think of what happens if the two groups run into each other. :blink:

Mod and rockers were pretty tame compared to what goes on today, from what I hear anyway. Not to mention, they did actually stand for a particular style/lifestyle, etc.--chavs just seem to be all-purpose hooligans.

Not quite.

Chavs don't care if you're the opposite of them - they'll still set upon you, if they want to.

They seem to be young, impressionable, impulsive, easy to influence, and eager to impress their peers without fully considering the consequences or the right and wrong of things.

Mod and rockers were pretty tame compared to what goes on today, from what I hear anyway. Not to mention, they did actually stand for a particular style/lifestyle, etc.--chavs just seem to be all-purpose hooligans.

Mods and rockers appear to have had their moments of adventure.

bbc report -

1964: Mods and Rockers jailed after seaside riots

Scores of youths have been given prison sentences following a Whitsun weekend of violent clashes between gangs of Mods and Rockers at a number of resorts on the south coast of England.

Yesterday two youths were taken to hospital with knife wounds and 51 were arrested in Margate after hundreds of teenagers converged on the town for the holiday weekend.

Dr George Simpson, chairman of Margate magistrates, jailed four young men and imposed fines totalling £1,900 on 36 people.

Three offenders were jailed for three months each and five more sent to detention centres for up to six months.

Obscenities

In Brighton, two youths were jailed for three months and others were fined.

More than 1,000 teenagers were involved in skirmishes on the beach and the promenade last night.

They threw deckchairs around, broke them up to make bonfires, shouted obscenities at each other and at passers-by, jostled holidaymakers and terrified elderly residents.

At about 1300 BST Mods and Rockers gathered at the Palace Pier chanting and jeering at each other and threw stones when police tried to disperse them.

The teenagers staged a mass sit-down on the promenade when police, using horses and dogs, tried to move them on.

In Margate, there were running battles between police and up to 400 youths on the beach early yesterday morning. Bottles were thrown and two officers were slightly hurt.

Later, on the high street, around 40 young men smashed council flat windows and vandalised a pub and a hardware shop.

Last night, hundreds of young men and girls were still wandering around the resort long after the last train had left.

Police stepped in to prevent further violence and dispersed about 30 youths in leather jackets who marched up the promenade shouting "Up the Rockers!"

There were further clashes at Bournemouth and Clacton.

I hear Prague is a hot spot for both stag and hen dos. Hate to think of what happens if the two groups run into each other. :blink:

:yesnod:

Prague is a popular one - the beer is very cheap. I can't imagine that having anything to do with it's popularity...

Hi everyone,

Interesting conversation going on here.

I will add a few comments and observations.

I had never heard of hen's parties/weekends until I visited Ireland in 2007. I witnessed one at our hotel's bar one weekend and I was amazed at how wild it got. I think that alot of guys went to this particular establishment knowing that there were frequent hen parties on weekends and they took advantage of the situation (lots of drunk women, LOL). The whooping and singing and merriment went on until after 4AM. I didn't get a wink of sleep all night and we had to leave the hotel at 6AM for our flight home. I imagine that this goes on every weekend at this bar. I have never witnessed a bacholorette party like this one before.

Also, about the teen gangs. Funny that they wear hoodies. In the US, almost all college and high school kids wear hoodies. At Ohio State, it is just part of the college attire, wearing a hoodie with your college logo on it. Both guys and girls wear them. Jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, and flip flops is the typical college outfit. My youngest son spent two months in Dublin, Ireland last summer and he did comment that only the punks (trouble-making teens) wore hoodies. He noted that it was usually with Adidas logos on the hoodies. He said the kid with the most Adidas insignia stuff on was usually the leader of the gang. He and his friends from Ohio State usually stayed clear of these guys. But they did have a confrontation with one on a bus. The punk was mouthing off about Americans drinking coffee, of all things. But since there were 5 Ohio State guys vs. the one Adidas clad punk, they told him to shut up and he backed off and shut up.

The same son is going to study in London at Greenwich University this summer. My husband and I are going to visit him while he is there. We are going to take a tour of England and Scottland and visit the quaint areas that you are referring to. Any suggestions as to must see sites, as I am picking out the tour and am having a difficult time deciding which one to choose. The oldest son has been to England twice and the youngest one has been there once already. Both took classes at Ohio State that involved trips to London and England. They liked York and of course, London. They were dissappointed with Stonehenge. They visited Oxford and Cambridge and had positive compliments. They also liked Bath. Alot of the tours go to Stratford-Upon-Avon, the Lake Distirct, Cardiff, Wales, Chester, Leeds, Cornwall, a few go to Liverpool.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

Interesting conversation going on here.

I will add a few comments and observations.

I had never heard of hen's parties/weekends until I visited Ireland in 2007. I witnessed one at our hotel's bar one weekend and I was amazed at how wild it got. I think that alot of guys went to this particular establishment knowing that there were frequent hen parties on weekends and they took advantage of the situation (lots of drunk women, LOL). The whooping and singing and merriment went on until after 4AM. I didn't get a wink of sleep all night and we had to leave the hotel at 6AM for our flight home. I imagine that this goes on every weekend at this bar. I have never witnessed a bacholorette party like this one before.

Also, about the teen gangs. Funny that they wear hoodies. In the US, almost all college and high school kids wear hoodies. At Ohio State, it is just part of the college attire, wearing a hoodie with your college logo on it. Both guys and girls wear them. Jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, and flip flops is the typical college outfit. My youngest son spent two months in Dublin, Ireland last summer and he did comment that only the punks (trouble-making teens) wore hoodies. He noted that it was usually with Adidas logos on the hoodies. He said the kid with the most Adidas insignia stuff on was usually the leader of the gang. He and his friends from Ohio State usually stayed clear of these guys. But they did have a confrontation with one on a bus. The punk was mouthing off about Americans drinking coffee, of all things. But since there were 5 Ohio State guys vs. the one Adidas clad punk, they told him to shut up and he backed off and shut up.

The same son is going to study in London at Greenwich University this summer. My husband and I are going to visit him while he is there. We are going to take a tour of England and Scottland and visit the quaint areas that you are referring to. Any suggestions as to must see sites, as I am picking out the tour and am having a difficult time deciding which one to choose. The oldest son has been to England twice and the youngest one has been there once already. Both took classes at Ohio State that involved trips to London and England. They liked York and of course, London. They were dissappointed with Stonehenge. They visited Oxford and Caimbridge and had positive compliments. They also liked Bath. Alot of the tours go to Stratford-Upon-Avon, the Lake Distirct, Cardiff, Wales, Chester, Leeds, Cornwall, a few go to Liverpool.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

How long are you planning on visiting your son? Cornwall is a really beautiful place, but it may require a few days. I'd recommend you go there, pretty much most places are guaranteed 'quaint'. Fishing ports like Looe and Polperro are lovely. Truro is a nice city to go to, as well.

Go to York, if you've not been already. Bath is also similar, since they're both Roman towns. The Lake District is a must, a place called Keswick is very popular.

Keswick

Snowdonia in North Wales is lovely to go to.

Snowdonia

There's also the Brecon Beacons in South Wales.

Brecon Beacons

The Peak District in Derbyshire.

Peak District

Chatsworth House is wonderful to visit. It's in the Peaks, but tours can take you there. A lovely American couple asked me to take a picture for them last Christmas.

Chatsworth House

City-wise, I'd recommend Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham. Edinburgh is a lovely place to visit.

Mods and rockers appear to have had their moments of adventure.

Yes, I remember the Margate incident as I lived near there. As the article points out--two people with knife wounds. Plus a lot of obscenities and setting deck-chairs on fire. Not quite the same scale as today. :D

How long are you planning on visiting your son? Cornwall is a really beautiful place, but it may require a few days. I'd recommend you go there, pretty much most places are guaranteed 'quaint'. Fishing ports like Looe and Polperro are lovely. Truro is a nice city to go to, as well.

Go to York, if you've not been already. Bath is also similar, since they're both Roman towns. The Lake District is a must, a place called Keswick is very popular.

Keswick

Snowdonia in North Wales is lovely to go to.

Snowdonia

There's also the Brecon Beacons in South Wales.

Brecon Beacons

The Peak District in Derbyshire.

Peak District

Chatsworth House is wonderful to visit. It's in the Peaks, but tours can take you there. A lovely American couple asked me to take a picture for them last Christmas.

Chatsworth House

City-wise, I'd recommend Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham. Edinburgh is a lovely place to visit.

Thank you for the info, longdistancewinner. :)

I have gotten my husband, the work-a-holic, to agree to go for up to two weeks in August. We will come home with my son when his classes are done in August.

I remember seeing Snowdonia in the No Quarter Unleded video and it is beautiful. Not too many tours go there, though, I don't know why.

Also, Chatsworth House looks alot like Mr. Darcy's estate in the BBC's movie version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth.

We are also planning on touring Scotland, including Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Highlands and Lochs.

edited to say:

I just finished reading the Wiki link on Chatsworth House and it said that it was used in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley. I knew that it looked familiar in the picture. I had the right movie, wrong version.

Thank you for the info, longdistancewinner. :)

I have gotten my husband, the work-a-holic, to agree to go for up to two weeks in August. We will come home with my son when his classes are done in August.

I remember seeing Snowdonia in the No Quarter Unleded video and it is beautiful. Not too many tours go there, though, I don't know why.

Also, Chatsworth House looks alot like Mr. Darcy's estate in the BBC's movie version of Pride and Predjudice with Colin Firth.

We are also planning on touring Scottland, including Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Highlands and Lochs.

Chatsworth has featured on many TV shows, so it's likely that it appeared on the BBC version. I know it's in the film version.

If you hired a car out you could drive to Wales. Same with the places that are a little out of reach. You could probably stay a night or two in a local B&B - they're everywhere. If you're going with a tour, you may have have a little more trouble. I've never been with a tour before, so I can't give you much advice there. I'm sorry.

I'm assuming you've visited London. If so, I'd recommend that you prioritize where you'd like to go, and for how long. I'd recommend that London be somewhere you end with. It can take the best part of a day travelling from one end of the country to the next, so you may have to be careful that you may not have as much time to do it all.

I hope you have a nice trip. Sounds lovely. Do your boys like England, then? How is your son finding uni in London? I hope we've made him feel welcome to our country.

...............and watered down. When I was in Prague I thought the beer almost everywhere was weak and obviously watered down. Found the people miserable on the whole. Of course, I had just come into the Czech Republic by train from Bavaria where the beer is ten times better and the people far more friendlier so maybe it was an unfair comparison.

I really like the look of Prague but it's a tourist trap and totally overrated. There's really not much to it apart from about a square mile in the old town.

Surprised to hear this as everyone I know who's been to Prague has absolutely raved about it.

Archived