England

leddy

Why do you support them then?

On another note it is a very sombre day for English football today, with the 20th anniversary of the terrible Hillsborough disaster.

Most folk I know will be stopping to remember.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998713.stm

Yes, that was such a tragic event. There's going to be a silent memorial in Nottingham today, as well. I think, whilst it were the Liverpool fans that were injured or killed, no one seems to think of the Forest fans. I knew a fair few who were completely devastated by it because they saw it all happen. All they could do was sit and watch.

Very sad.

The city I live in is actually a pretty good soccer town. Rochester, NY. We used to have a team called the Lancers back when Pele played us when he played for the NY Cosmos. back in the 1970s. We had this guy called Carlos Meditieri. Great player. Pele would know who he was. We have a team called the Rhino's in the league that isnt quite as known as the MLS. We were supposed to get an MLS team but still havent. I do like to watch the World Cup. But our style of football will always be number one here. One of the bigger complaints about your football or soccer, is the lack of scoring. I think when a defender is straddling or about even with a player breaking in, they should let it go. But its always blown offsides. This would create more scoring.

Yeah, you're right - I know why the game doesn't take off over there. But we like it that way - we like that we have our sport - and you have yours. Nothing cuter than your "World Series" :D;)

One of the bigger complaints about your football or soccer, is the lack of scoring. I think when a defender is straddling or about even with a player breaking in, they should let it go. But its always blown offsides. This would create more scoring.

Hi Yukon

We very rarely have games that get to 5-5, thats because your right hand is for counting your teams goals, and the left hand is for the other teams goals. If we had scores like you guys do then we would need to take the whole family just to keep score. :lol:

We also like to have many drawn game's so both sides can go home feeling not so bad, as its shit when you loose, and my team gives me the runs most of the time mate. :console2:

Regards, Danny

Why do you support them then?

On another note it is a very sombre day for English football today, with the 20th anniversary of the terrible Hillsborough disaster.

Most folk I know will be stopping to remember.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998713.stm

I'm a sports fan at heart.

I wonder if the improvements in facilities will prevent any further tragedies.

buzzle.com/editorials/4-12-2004-52823

I'm a sports fan at heart.

I wonder if the improvements in facilities will prevent any further tragedies.

buzzle.com/editorials/4-12-2004-52823

That article seems to focus more on Liverpool and Everton's rivalry than the actual tragedy.

The fact is, after Hillsborough, improvements were made, but the tragedy wasn't down to poor facilities - it was down to poor police control and too many fans. As awful as the tragedy was, the blame is on human error - police let in too many Liverpool fans when there wasn't enough room, and thousands more arrived without tickets. Forest fans were given the bigger allocation, despite being outnumbered by Liverpool fans, and, as a consequence there wasn't enough room for Liverpool.

The fact is, after Hillsborough, improvements were made, but the tragedy wasn't down to poor facilities - it was down to poor police control and too many fans. As awful as the tragedy was, the blame is on human error - police let in too many Liverpool fans when there wasn't enough room, and thousands more arrived without tickets. Forest fans were given the bigger allocation, despite being outnumbered by Liverpool fans, and, as a consequence there wasn't enough room for Liverpool.

This is a fact that is all too often forgotten.

Liverpool had nearly TWICE the average home attendance as Forest that 1989 season..........and yet Forest fans got MORE tickets allocated to them for the semi final. Absolutely ridiculous.

Another point that is forgotten now is that the previous season the two clubs met at the same venue for the 1988 semi final. There were crushes there too and Liverpool lodged a complaint to the F.A...........who ignored them.

This is a fact that is all too often forgotten.

Liverpool had nearly TWICE the average home attendance as Forest that 1989 season..........and yet Forest fans got MORE tickets allocated to them for the semi final. Absolutely ridiculous.

Another point that is forgotten now is that the previous season the two clubs met at the same venue for the 1988 semi final. There were crushes there too and Liverpool lodged a complaint to the F.A...........who ignored them.

I never knew that. That's interesting.

Forest has a big fan base, but it's nothing compared to the scale of Liverpool's. If ticket allocation had been the other way around, Hillsborough would be synonymous with just Sheffield United.

I never knew that. That's interesting.

Forest has a big fan base, but it's nothing compared to the scale of Liverpool's. If ticket allocation had been the other way around, Hillsborough would be synonymous with just Sheffield United.

Hi LDW,

Could you please explain the bit in red, i'm confuser?

Regards, Danny

Hi LDW,

Regards, Danny

well its confusing cos Hillsborough is the home of Sheffield Wednesday not United, thats Bramhall Lane across the city:blink:

well its confusing cos Hillsborough is the home of Sheffield Wednesday not United, thats Bramhall Lane across the city:blink:

Hi 'ledded1'

Thats what i was thinking, but LDW doesnt usually make mistakes so i thought she knew somethink i didnt, so we must wait and see.

Regards, Danny

Hi LDW,

Regards, Danny

I made a booboo and said the wrong team. I simply meant that if the fans had switched stands, there's a good chance that the tragedy may not have occured. Now, when we think of Hillsborough, it's not just because it's home to Sheffield Wednesday. Sorry for the confusion.

You're right. I wasn't thinking when I made that mistake - I was too busy thinking how I could blag your JP autographs :D

Sorry about that :blush:

I made a booboo and said the wrong team. I simply meant that if the fans had switched stands, there's a good chance that the tragedy may not have occured. Now, when we think of Hillsborough, it's not just because it's home to Sheffield Wednesday. Sorry for the confusion.

You're right. I wasn't thinking when I made that mistake - I was too busy thinking how I could blag JP your autographs :D

Will have to decline your blagging attempts :D

Hi LDW,

Your forgiven, easily done.

Regards, Danny

Someone please advise me on the (anticipated) temperature ranges in London, Bath, Cotswolds area and (possibly) eastern Wales between 27 April and 4 May.

We are in the mid 80/90 F range in South Texas. A cooler climate would be a welcome change now. B)

Someone please advise me on the (anticipated) temperature ranges in London, Bath, Cotswolds area and (possibly) eastern Wales between 27 April and 4 May.

We are in the mid 80/90 F range in South Texas. A cooler climate would be a welcome change now. B)

I see nobody has answered you yet. I can only help you with southern England. You should be fine. LOL, it's not as sweltering as South Texas, but neither should it be chilly.

The weather in England can be very unpredictable. In March, for example, we mostly had warm and sunny weather. Right now it is also warm and sunny but it could all change by the end of April. You likely won't need heavy clothing or even a coat when you are in London. But keep a check over the internet for any weird weather changes in the days leading up to your trip.

PS) Where I live it has hardly rained the last month and when it has rained it has been at night.

Right now, the weather's nice and sunny, but I live further north. It's pretty much safe to say, though, that the weather's fairly pleasant all over. There's no rain, at least.

London

Sunny

Temp: 17°C (63°F)

Wind: W 6mph

Hum: 44%

Press: 1026mB, falling

Vis: Good

Like Mangani said, don't take heavy clothing - especially if you're walking places - but do take something lightweight and waterproof. Last Friday it rained when I went to London, but it didn't bother me because I can go there whenever I want - I felt so sorry for the tourists, especially if that had been their only chance to visit the capital.

This might help:

BBC weather

Archived