The cancelled World Tour August 1975

joeboy

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

They had only performed one night in Pittsburgh in 1975 (Feb 1st).

Still, I think they would've chosen a Philadelphia date over Pittsburgh. Also, the Pittsburgh Civic Arena was very flexible, and could take up to 30,000 people. Knowing Led Zeppelin, they maybe would've performed to 25,000 people. 

I'm gonna play the role of fan fiction and try and come up with a reasonable itinerary for the cancelled North American leg. 

(1) August 23rd - Oakland, CA, USA - Oakland Coliseum (Day On The Green #4)

(2) August 24th - Oakland, CA, USA - Oakland Coliseum (Day On The Green #5)

(3) August 27th - Tempe, AZ, USA - Sun Devil Stadium

(4) August 29th - Kansas City, MO, USA - Arrowhead Stadium

(5) August 31st - Atlanta, GA, USA - Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium

(6) September 1st - Tampa, FL, USA - Tampa Stadium

(7) September 2nd - Louisville, KY, USA - Kentucky Fairgrounds Stadium

(8) September 4th - New Orleans, LA, USA - Louisiana Superdome

(9) September 6th - Pasadena, CA, USA - Rose Bowl

(10) September 8th - Denver, CO, USA - Mile High Stadium

(11) September 9th - Norman, OK, USA - Lloyd Noble Center

(12) September 11th - Birmingham, AL, USA - BJCC Coliseum

(13) September 12th - Jacksonville, FL, USA - Veterans Memorial Arena

(14) September 14th - Baltimore, MD, USA - Baltimore Civic Center

(15) September 15th - Providence, RI, USA - Providence Civic Center (since the band were banned from playing Boston, they organized this gig for everybody who had a ticket to come see them here)

(16) September 16th - New Haven, CT, USA - New Haven Coliseum

(17) September 18th - Buffalo, NY, USA - Buffalo Memorial Auditorium

(18) September 19th - Philadelphia, PA, USA - The Spectrum

(19) September 20th - Philadelphia, PA, USA - The Spectrum

(20) September 22nd - New York City, NY, USA - Shea Stadium

(21) September 24th - Pittsburgh, PA, USA - Three Rivers Stadium

(22) September 25th - Cincinnati, OH, USA - Riverfront Coliseum

(23) September 26th - Columbus, OH, USA - St. John Arena

(24) September 28th - Detroit, MI, USA - Olympia Stadium

(25) September 29th - Toronto, ON, Canada - Maple Leaf Gardens

(26) October 1st - Montreal, QC, Canada - Montreal Forum

(27) October 2nd - Toronto, ON, Canada - Maple Leaf Garden

(28) October 4th - Chicago, IL, USA - Chicago Stadium

(29) October 6th - St. Paul, MN, USA - Saint Paul Civic Center

(30) October 7th - Milwaukee, WI, USA - Milwaukee Arena

(31) October 9th - Salt Lake City, UT, USA - Salt Palace

(32) October 10th - Albuquerque, NM, USA - University Arena

(33) October 13th - Edmonton, AB, Canada - Northlands Coliseum

If you think there should be some dates that should be replaced please tell me

Edited by LedZep123

2 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

I think the setlist might've been something like this

1. Rock And Roll

2. Sick Again

3. Over The Hills And Far Away

4. In My Time Of Dying

5. Since I've Been Loving You

6. The Song Remains The Same

7. The Rain Song

8. The Wanton Song

9. Kashmir

10. No Quarter

11. Ten Years Gone

12. Trampled Under Foot

13. Moby Dick

14. Dazed And Confused (w/ Woodstock/San Francisco)

15. Stairway To Heaven

ENCORE

16. Whole Lotta Love

17. Black Dog

Going To California maybe could've been added for the Oakland/Pasadena shows. Then they would've probably performed Heartbreaker or Communication Breakdown on certain ocassions. Also, it's said that there were supposed to be 33 dates for the intenairy. I think they'd put in some dates for Toronto/Detroit area, maybe some more in the Ohio area, the South maybe. It would've been a really succesful tour in terms of financial gross and attendance.

For the Far East Tour, they inteniary would've been similar to the 1972 Australian shows.... Deep Purple had announced shows in Jakarta for December 1975, so LZ may have opted for shows in Singapore/Indonesia area. 

European Winter Tour - A date in Helsinki probably means dates in Scandinavia and probably Germany. They'd already performed in the Netherlands and Belgium as warm-up gigs for the tour, so they'd probably leave those cities til' last.

Japanese Tour - Probably just big cities like Tokyo and Osaka. 

I've heard that they were also planning on doing a British tour in 1976, along with shows in South America. The British Tour probably would've been in around January, and it wouldn't have been too big. Probably just concert halls in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Cardiff... maybe some other big cities. But I mean, they'd just played Earls Court so....

For South American shows though, not very many bands had come to the region. The Rolling Stones were supposed to perform in Brazil, Mexico and Venezuela, but those were cancelled. If this did go as planned, there would've been many riots. So probably not the safest decision to perform in the region.

After they'd complete the tour, they would've worked on Presence and The Song Remains The Same. Screw that tree. 

Great info, LZ! But I'll say that had all this come off, there's no telling what the next album would have sounded like, when they would've done it or even what it would've been called. And who knows how the film would've come out and when. Jimmy used the hiatus to finish the film. This itinerary would've set back the film process by a long way unless he then chose to accelerate the production to approximate what turned out to be the Fall 76 release date. The Zeppelin story would've had many different chapters.

Edited by Zep Hed

15 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Still, I think they would've chosen a Philadelphia date over Pittsburgh. Also, the Pittsburgh Civic Arena was very flexible, and could take up to 30,000 people. Knowing Led Zeppelin, they maybe would've performed to 25,000 people. 

Naw bro, I grew up in Pittsburgh and the maximum concert attendance indoors there was about 18,000. I think Plant/Page drew about that much in 1995 and that was the max ever held at the civic arena. I was too young in 1975 to see LZ but I’ve seen a lot of shows there and no way could it have seated 25,000 or more people

13 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

One thing is for sure, if that blasted tree hadn't grown, Led Zeppelin would probably still be a band

How's that work then, what has a tree got to do with anything. Would Bonzo still be alive.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

How's that work then, what has a tree got to do with anything. Would Bonzo still be alive.

Probably yes. Because there probably wouldn't have been the Oakland incident the next year...

Edited by LedZep123

2 hours ago, Realperson said:

Naw bro, I grew up in Pittsburgh and the maximum concert attendance indoors there was about 18,000. I think Plant/Page drew about that much in 1995 and that was the max ever held at the civic arena. I was too young in 1975 to see LZ but I’ve seen a lot of shows there and no way could it have seated 25,000 or more people

Oh. I thought a David Bowie concert in '78 drew like 30,000 people. 

2 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Probably yes. Because there probably wouldn't have been the Oakland incident the next year...

Yeah, Ok. One is allowed to dream. The Oakland incident was two years later btw.

Edited by JTM

3 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Oh. I thought a David Bowie concert in '78 drew like 30,000 people. 

This is accurate and taken from the following link...

After the 1993 expansion of the arena's seating capacity Jimmy Page and Robert Plant set the all time Civic Arena concert attendance record drawing 17,764 fans for their appearance on March 25 1995.”

https://sites.google.com/site/pittsburghmusichistory/pittsburgh-music-story/venues/civic-arena

9 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Huh. Probably cause of the incident

Most likely, they just wanted to get outta Dodge. However, the performance on the 24th is very good though the encores are seriously rushed. Seems like the prior day's incident focused Jimmy and, very likely, he performed relatively clean as the band would have most certainly disposed of any party favors due to law enforcement being all over the place.

Apparently this "Zeppelin vs Kiss" was a very common issue in the late 1970s, right? Kiss may have had a huge stage show etc, but personally it seems that for example Alice Cooper's early 70s stage-act seemed even more interesting than Kiss. And I'm not putting Kiss down, but musically Led Zeppelin was in completely different league. Kiss was and has always been more of a one-trick-pony, so...

On 11/27/2020 at 3:03 PM, Mikelangelo said:

Apparently this "Zeppelin vs Kiss" was a very common issue in the late 1970s, right? Kiss may have had a huge stage show etc, but personally it seems that for example Alice Cooper's early 70s stage-act seemed even more interesting than Kiss. And I'm not putting Kiss down, but musically Led Zeppelin was in completely different league. Kiss was and has always been more of a one-trick-pony, so...

:hysterical:

I believe you may be Out on the Tiles 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...