football

craigled

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

The Matalans 4 v The Catalans 0

What a result !! Take that Messi. Didn't see it myself but have seen the goals this morning. @JTM  This is not a dream ! :thumbsup:

Oh yes, unfunkingbelievable what a result, totally unexpected. To draw level at 3 - 3 was one thing but that cheeky corner from Trent AA to Origi for the fourth goal was pure genius, Barca were asleep, serves 'em right.  The other good thing, the traitorous Courtinio and cheat Suarez were in the losing side. Bring on number six.

Not sure it was totally unexpected. I think Barca thought that they just had to turn up? Not the case. Klopp deserves all the plaudits 

Sends a message  that Spanish football is all about money. No success for them. I truly believe that the Premier League is the best, bar none, in the world when it comes to passion and the never give up attitude. I bet Las Ramblas is in a state of shock this morning. You know me man, but hats off to the lads to pull off that win. Truly great.

8 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

:hurrah:

Football, bloody hell. I cannot believe it. I'd never ever thought Liverpool are able to beat the 3:0 against Barcelona. Making 4 goals against Barca is incredible but preventing them from shooting a single goal is epic.

KLOPPO!!!! 2 consecutive years in CL final is a fantastic achievement. And there will be no Sergio Ramos in Madrid 

Come on Ajax - they played so very well, they deserved the final, too

Wow.  It was in England but its huge. Did they have their full unit?  Beating Barcelona is a big deal

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Not sure it was totally unexpected. I think Barca thought that they just had to turn up? Not the case. Klopp deserves all the plaudits 

Sends a message  that Spanish football is all about money. No success for them. I truly believe that the Premier League is the best, bar none, in the world when it comes to passion and the never give up attitude. I bet Las Ramblas is in a state of shock this morning. You know me man, but hats off to the lads to pull off that win. Truly great.

The Premier League is likely the best for sure. Its by far the biggest as far as player salaries right?  To the other poster, I did not know Harry Kane was injure. That is big.  What about Delle Ally?  Does he not play for Tottenham?  I see that Leicester has played decent of late. 

Wow...the English Premier League, Kings Of Europe!

Not only are both Champions League finalists Premier League teams, both Europa League finalists are as well! (Trivial fact as a result - the UEFA Super Cup game in August will also be an all-Premier League affair; a fact, if I remember correctly, that is unprecedented.)

Well done to Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, and Chelsea!

16 hours ago, Strider said:

REDS! REDS! REDS! REDS!

Good to hear, particularly since I’m an Anfield boy. I went to Anfield Primary and Anfield Comprehensive Secondary Schools :) 

This is on my living room wall

E98F7CCC-945E-42F4-85B0-5ED393B1650D.jpeg

6 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Good to hear, particularly since I’m an Anfield boy. I went to Anfield Primary and Anfield Comprehensive Secondary Schools :) 

This is on my living room wall

E98F7CCC-945E-42F4-85B0-5ED393B1650D.jpeg

Pity hardly anyone will be watching the final. It's on BT Sport which no one has got access to unless you hand over a tenner a month

Of course I will be supporting Spurs and Manchester City at the weekend. Nothing personal man ;) :D

8 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Not only are both Champions League finalists Premier League teams, both Europa League finalists are as well! (Trivial fact as a result - the UEFA Super Cup game in August will also be an all-Premier League affair; a fact, if I remember correctly, that is unprecedented.)

All-Premier League affair is correct. But there are a couple of all-League matches. Mostly Primera División of course, los reyes de europa ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Super_Cup_matches

1993 Parma : Milan
2006 Sevilla : Barcelona
2014 Real Madrid : Sevilla
2015 Barcelona : Sevilla
2016 Real Madrid : Sevilla
2018 Atletico : Real Madrid

Very very very well done Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, and Chelsea :thumbsup:
And Pep Guardiola will shed a tear or two in Manchester :D

35 minutes ago, LedZed66 said:

Very very very well done Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, and Chelsea :thumbsup:
And Pep Guardiola will shed a tear or two in Manchester :D

Well, if you ignore the fact that Man City are still on-target for, and will most probably get, a domestic quadruple (Community Shield, League Cup, EPL title, and FA Cup all during the same season - if memory serves, I think this is also unprecedented, at least in recent years) - so, I don’t think he’ll be crying too much. 😉

Thank you for the list above too; my original comment was specifically in reference to the EPL. I had suspected (and in fact knew, from the more recent years) that it had happened with other leagues. Still, a great accomplishment.

19 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

Well, if you ignore the fact that Man City are still on-target for, and will most probably get, a domestic quadruple (Community Shield, League Cup, EPL title, and FA Cup all during the same season - if memory serves, I think this is also unprecedented, at least in recent years) - so, I don’t think he’ll be crying too much. 😉

Thank you for the list above too; my original comment was specifically in reference to the EPL. I had suspected (and in fact knew, from the more recent years) that it had happened with other leagues. Still, a great accomplishment.

The one thing that still gets my goat is that all (4)  managers are Foreign. Come to think of it so are most of the players. No wonder we never win any big country tournaments?

1 hour ago, ForEvermore said:

Proof that you can buy anything (except a European trophy) when your team is state sponsored with billions of £ at their disposal, a bottomless pit of money, it's a mockery, thoroughly  undeserved. I don't care how entertaining Citeh have been for the tourists that fill the otherwise empty seats in their rented stadium. I'm sorry Forevermore but  great accomplishment my backside. 

Edited by JTM

11 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Good post, thank feck Citeh are not one of those four teams.

47 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

The one thing that still gets my goat is that all (4)  managers are Foreign. Come to think of it so are most of the players. No wonder we never win any big country tournaments?

Yup,  Man Utd  and Liverpool  have had their greatest success's under foreign management, well Scottish is slightly foreign isn't it 😉.

23 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Thank you for the list above too; my original comment was specifically in reference to the EPL. I had suspected (and in fact knew, from the more recent years) that it had happened with other leagues. Still, a great accomplishment

I must admit winning the domestic Grand Slam in a strong league like the PL is an accomplishment, yes.
But City's Sheiks didn't spend a Billion last summer for the Caribou Cup. They expect the Champions League title.
It's Guardiola's 3rd season with City and he didn't deliver the CL title yet. I am pretty sure that's very disappointing for the Sheiks and Pep himself.

Let's agree we are happy with both finals :)
It's spectacular and speaks for the strong league.

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

All of the top games this week are on Sunday?

Yes, it’s the last day of the premier league season.

Edited by JTM

On 5/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, JTM said:

Yes, it’s the last day of the premier league season.

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

:console:

BUT, be consoled!

We all have three more games to watch, and all six teams left are EPL teams!

So, we still have just about two more weeks of football before withdrawal symptoms set in.

(And then the Women's World Cup will take over...)

7 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

BUT, be consoled!

We all have three more games to watch, and all six teams left are EPL teams!

So, we still have just about two more weeks of football before withdrawal symptoms set in.

(And then the Women's World Cup will take over...)

Not me as I can't get BT Sport

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Not me as I can't get BT Sport

When do they start the next season?  Is there a playoff? If so how many teams qualified?  I would imagine Liverpool and MC are in and maybe 4 others?  The way the other poster said there are 6 games?  

Also, over here after a season and playoff, there is what is called Free agency and a draft.  Do you have that?  Or just a reshuffling of players if you will?  I would think changes would be made especially with teams that did not do well?  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

56 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

When do they start the next season?  Is there a playoff? If so how many teams qualified?  I would imagine Liverpool and MC are in and maybe 4 others?  The way the other poster said there are 6 games?  

Also, over here after a season and playoff, there is what is called Free agency and a draft.  Do you have that?  Or just a reshuffling of players if you will?  I would think changes would be made especially with teams that did not do well?  

1. Sometime near the end of August

2. No, no play off. Basically the Premier league has Champions (Man City) then 3 go down to The championship. Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham. Then 3 come up from The Championship. They have a play off. Straight into the Premier League go Norwich & Sheffield United. Then Leeds, West Brom, Aston villa and Derby play off for the one remaining spot

3. It's the same for the other divisions

4. No we don't have a "draft" . That stopped in the 1960's i believe ;)

5. Don't really understand "reshuffling of players". Each player belongs to their respective clubs.

6. Best not read too much into it Rick. You'll only get confused. Remember though, the ball is round not oval :huh:

Dear Robert Plant,

Sorry the Reds blanked your Wolves like that. Please don't hold it against us. The match had to be played...they couldn't not compete, after all. Better luck next year.

We look forward to your next tour.

Ta,

City of Liverpool

22 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

1. Sometime near the end of August

2. No, no play off. Basically the Premier league has Champions (Man City) then 3 go down to The championship. Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham. Then 3 come up from The Championship. They have a play off. Straight into the Premier League go Norwich & Sheffield United. Then Leeds, West Brom, Aston villa and Derby play off for the one remaining spot

3. It's the same for the other divisions

4. No we don't have a "draft" . That stopped in the 1960's i believe ;)

5. Don't really understand "reshuffling of players". Each player belongs to their respective clubs.

6. Best not read too much into it Rick. You'll only get confused. Remember though, the ball is round not oval :huh:

Well there has to be change on teams of some sort.  Trades must happen?  And contracts run out so players are signed to different teams I would imagine.  And there are many players that are not from England.  Players from all over the world.  So August it starts again?  Wow.  I thought baseball and hockey were long here.  they are but so is the Premier league.  I guess you do not have to suffer for too long.  So do you think its going to be between MC and Livverpool again next year?  If the squads do not change much, why would one expect much different of an outcome given the talent on those two teams?  I know Leicester City played well down the stretch.  So 3 teams get knocked out of the Premier league and 3 get a chance to play in the bigger league?  Strange way to go about things IMO.  Norwich and Sheffield I will be bettering against on a regular basis.