PAUL STANLEY Pays Tribute To Legend JIMMY PAGE

Are you all kidding me? You all are really playing fools if you all think Led Zeppelin were not a money making machine since day one. NO ONE got the largest promotion of all time as they did for the release of their first studio l.p. "Led Zeppelin in 1969 for what if I recall was one hundred thousand U.S. dollars. This is why the music industry is dying off because people really do think it is just about "artistic crediblity" which is not to say that there isn't any for people but it is all about business and has been since human beings could put sound on a physical object and SELL it. Ever since it could be stolen off of the internent it has started to crumble...and fast.

I have far more respect for people who go and make half a billion U.S. dollars such as KISS in just their reuion years alone than the concern

I have for people who sit around and say that making money doesn't matter to them...and the notion of KISS' music being "adapted to match the marketing of derivative products" seems highly intelligent to me than those sitting around saying that they are too good to squeeze as much out of their product as much as possible. In my opinion that devalues their own product...and that is what Led Zeppelin's music and anyone else's is. Otherwise the people won't hear it at the end of the day. It is just some people wish they could be as succesful as KISS but the truth is they can't get the business that they do. People are just jealous and try to be psuedo-intellectual about it.

Edited by AlexKx

Hey AlexKx, I have no problem with capitalism AT ALL. I'm all for it. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent a fortune going to the O2, spending $45 on a t-shirt etc. I just find that when Gene Simmons admits he doesn't care about his own music, his musicianship or his rock and roll band, but only cares about the money he makes from it, it makes his musical legacy far less interesting, that's all.

^ Music is product, yes. All bands sell records, and sell some posters and t-shirts. It's the relentless whoring out that Kiss does that gets on many peoples' nerves. It's the cologne, pinball machines, dolls, bottles of wine, etc. And as far as being "jealous", I really doubt that Zeppelin or anyone else who loves making music is very jealous of Kiss' merchandising prowess. It's like being the "fastest child molester", it's an honor no one is competing with you for...

KISCC001.jpg

playingcards.jpg

carstock4.jpg

blanket.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me??-

condps.gif

Hi all,

Are you all kidding me? You all are really playing fools if you all think Led Zeppelin were not a money making machine since day one. NO ONE got the largest promotion of all time as they did for the release of their first studio l.p. "Led Zeppelin in 1969 for what if I recall was one hundred thousand U.S. dollars. This is why the music industry is dying off because people really do think it is just about "artistic crediblity" which is not to say that there isn't any for people but it is all about business and has been since human beings could put sound on a physical object and SELL it. Ever since it could be stolen off of the internent it has started to crumble...and fast.

I have far more respect for people who go and make half a billion U.S. dollars such as KISS in just their reuion years alone than the concern

I have for people who sit around and say that making money doesn't matter to them...and the notion of KISS' music being "adapted to match the marketing of derivative products" seems highly intelligent to me than those sitting around saying that they are too good to squeeze as much out of their product as much as possible. In my opinion that devalues their own product...and that is what Led Zeppelin's music and anyone else's is. Otherwise the people won't hear it at the end of the day. It is just some people wish they could be as succesful as KISS but the truth is they can't get the business that they do. People are just jealous and try to be psuedo-intellectual about it.

Ask Peter Grant.How artists got ripped off BEFORE,.......then we will talk.

KB

Thanks for the quote Pagemeister! :beer:

KISS was what turned my 8 year-old mind onto rock so many years ago. Zeppelin followed quickly thereafter and I was forever altered. :lol:

I will have to agree with you dude. I was a Kiss fan back in the day. I quit listening to them right after Destroyer. I think they were all about the show and they put on a great one if that was what you were into and they were a great party band. Nobody ever said they were great musicians. But Stanley knew the band's limitations and so did everybody else that had any musical integrity. No reason for any comparison or slamming the old guys just because they are still milking their fans that like them.............hell Zepp is still doing it ,but their music is timeless. At least Stanley has something positive to say versus old Niki Sixx or some Clash member .

Personally, I really like KISS, they are one of my favorite bands, good time fun rock and roll. No, nowhere near the caliber of LZ, but they had a large amount of good songs which is all too rare. Paul is probably my favorite and much of what he said was spot on. Especially the Beck Page comparison about making up for lack of creativity, and Beck's one of my favorites, i still couldnt phrase the difference much better, and that could also apply when comparing many other players to Jimmy.

Uh...Zepyep...I think Zep and some others HAVE made a pretty penny or two off of record sales...and MattMC1973...I think that is AWESOME!!! I DEFINITELY think Led Zeppelin should follow suit. I do not have some sort of psuedo-intellectualism that says somehow the legacy of Led Zeppeiln is deminished in some way because their name is all over the place! I think it henders groups not to follow suit. As a matter of fact I would not be surprised if that is one of the numerous reasons why so much of the music industry has died off because people did not go all out for the public to be aware of them and keep them interested.

I have no respect for Kiss or their opinions. Led Zeppelin combined their intelligence to elevate rock music to new heights in talent, creativity, musicianship, songwriting and intensity.

Kiss used theirs to dumb-down rock music and turn it into a cheap, disposable product of questionable artistic value.

To put Paul Stanley in the same sentence as Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page is like throwing Lyndsay Lohan along with Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.

Very well said.

Krish

If KISS never wore make-up, I guarantee that they would be a lot more respected...have any of you haters actually listen to Ace play...He's GREAT.....amazing solos...very Page-like in his technique...has said himself that LZ (esp. Page) were a big influence....to each their own but in my book, KISS is a really good band (Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, I Stole Your Love, and King Of The Night Time World are pretty good tunes)...BTW, just so you guys know...JOHN PAUL JONES is a big KISS fan...he has a long quote in one their books about how underrated they are...it's a shame they became a kids band in the late 70's.

Edited by Wolfman

I hear you Wolfie! I cut my teeth on Ace's solos from Alive. Unfortunately, after that, Ace got punchdrunk and lost his edge.

To the person who suggested Bob Ezrin wrote their music, no. He produced two out of 20 albums, the first being Destroyer, which was their 4th studio album. All of the songs on Alive were from the first 3 albums, and many were great songs:

Deuce

Strutter

Got to Choose

Hotter Than Hell

Firehouse

Nothin to Lose

C'mon and Love Me

Parasite

She

Watchin' You

100,000 Years

Black Diamond

Rock Bottom

Cold Gin

Rock and Roll All Night

Let Me Go Rock and Roll

But admittedly, after Destroyer their music began to suck exponentially.

I like the way Paul stanley talks.He always sayd everything right.

That brings back a memory (dunno why). KISS were playing in LA a few years back. During Love Gun, Paul would ride a wire out to the middle of the arena. On this occasion, the wire stalled half way out. Paul was stranded over the crowd! He said "I'm tryin Los Angeles! I'm tryin!". Off topic, but a funny moment! :lol:

Then there was the time I was backstage in Fresno. Erin and Gigi were putting the costumes into the road cases after the show, while Aerosmith was taking the stage. I'll never forget the look on Gigi's face when she remarked how foul Gene's leathers stank! :hysterical:

Edited by Evster2012

If KISS never wore make-up, I guarantee that they would be a lot more respected...have any of you haters actually listen to Ace play...He's GREAT.....amazing solos...very Page-like in his technique...has said himself that LZ (esp. Page) were a big influence....to each their own but in my book, KISS is a really good band (Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, I Stole Your Love, and King Of The Night Time World are pretty good tunes)...BTW, just so you guys know...JOHN PAUL JONES is a big KISS fan...he has a long quote in one their books about how underrated they are...it's a shame they became a kids band in the late 70's.

Well I did have an Ace Frehley tape back in the day.... Frehley's Comet??? Used to like it. But not Kiss. Oh wait JPJ likes them????... hmmmm.... I better reconsider! hehe... nah, still don't like them.

O.k. They obviously are not as great as...let's just say certain other people...but what they did not do was become...whatever you want to call "succesful"...by dressing up as cool clowns. They had to have the music to back them up to be good enough. There is in my opinion crediblity...yes...crediblity with their music which has allowed them to have whatever success they have had. I don't see Insane Clown Posse selling out colliseums mere less stadiums. Have Insane Clown Posse even performed outside of the U.S. before? Whatever...they don't even deserved being mentioned twice in a post of mine on the internet.

I also like music from all eras of KISS...and I LOVE "World Without Heroes" from the critically slammed "Elder" if I recall. Phenomenal song! WAY too short! I also lover Cher's version from her 1991 studio l.p. entitled "Love Hurts" released on Geffen Records. Yes...I even like their disco "I Was Made For Loving You". Now that's what we need more of...disco...right? Ahem...maybe not but just the same I think some people dismiss others entirely whereas I don't think that is fair. I guess I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water that's all.

Edited by AlexKx

Capitalism vs pragmatism, whatever. Is that any excuse for Gene Simmons to be a total ass to the people he so conveniently calls "the boss of KISS"?. As someone who's speaking from the standpoint of having been in a casual situation with the guys on multiple occasions, not merely in a crowd of demanding fans, I can say first hand the guy's a dick. I should add that I love the demon, but Gene Klein is an asshole.

So where's the Led Zeppelin pinball machine?

Hi all,

Uh...Zepyep...I think Zep and some others HAVE made a pretty penny or two off of record sales...and MattMC1973...I think that is AWESOME!!! I DEFINITELY think Led Zeppelin should follow suit. I do not have some sort of psuedo-intellectualism that says somehow the legacy of Led Zeppeiln is deminished in some way because their name is all over the place! I think it henders groups not to follow suit. As a matter of fact I would not be surprised if that is one of the numerous reasons why so much of the music industry has died off because people did not go all out for the public to be aware of them and keep them interested.

AlexKx,....sorry, as was a wee bit punch-drunk when I wrote that :D

May 2008 be the best!

KB

Sounds like a good idea to me No Quarter...pounder (love your name...tis' funny)...with that said...are you all aware that there are people in this world whom have no idea who Led Zeppelin are and or don't know much about their music? That's one reason why I think it is also good to go all out selling...uh...whatever you know? Led Zeppelin Rockin' Mac N' Cheese Rolls! Ooozes all the way down! Yum! Oh the possiblities!

Edited by AlexKx

First off, I LOVE KISS and I love Led Zeppelin, for totally different reasons. Zeppelin I love for the sheer musicality of their songs, the complexities of the way their sounds are put together are a big part of what draws mr to them. Kiss, I love cause it's dumb-ass Rock 'n' Roll with an image. And at least i've managed to get to see Kiss a few times (Hint hint, LZ!)

That brings back a memory (dunno why). KISS were playing in LA a few years back. During Love Gun, Paul would ride a wire out to the middle of the arena. On this occasion, the wire stalled half way out. Paul was stranded over the crowd! He said "I'm tryin Los Angeles! I'm tryin!". Off topic, but a funny moment! :lol:

First time I saw PS do the wire stunt was at the last show of the 96/97 reunion tour at Finsbury Park, London. The wire was a bit too saggy and someone managed to catch his (7 inch leather) heel briefly which gave him a bouncy ride to his 2nd mike! :D

Capitalism vs pragmatism, whatever. Is that any excuse for Gene Simmons to be a total ass to the people he so conveniently calls "the boss of KISS"?. As someone who's speaking from the standpoint of having been in a casual situation with the guys on multiple occasions, not merely in a crowd of demanding fans, I can say first hand the guy's a dick. I should add that I love the demon, but Gene Klein is an asshole.

Couldn't have put it better if I tried, Evster!

I wonder if the reactions in this thread would be similar on another site if Jimmy said some nice things about, say, Eric Crapton which were quoted on an EC forum?

I THINK YOU GOT SOME GOOD INSIGHT EVSTER IVE KINDA PICKED UP ON THE FACT THAT GENE IS A DICK HELL ITS KINDA HARD TO MISS AND IVE NVER MET ANY OF THEM. I WILL SAY THEY MAY NOT HAVE THE "DEEPEST" SONGS THEY DO HAVE SOME FUN SONGS AND ROCK IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN !