"contemporary" defined as 'having released an album w/in the past 2 years'

in no order:

1. Arcade Fire

2. the Black Keys

3. Secret Machines

4. radiohead

5. Old Crow Medicine Show

let's hear about yours.

Ah, a fellow Machines fan. I haven't heard much of them since their guitarist left. I was lucky enough to see them live when they had the original group.

For me the best contemporary bands are (in alphabetical order):

- Devendra Banhart

- The Black Keys

- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova

- Incubus

- My Morning Jacket

- Oasis

- Oh My God

- Pearl Jam

- Radiohead

- The Redwalls

- The Secret Machines

- The White Stripes

- Wilco

Under the definition given for "contemporary" I could include artists like Bob Dylan, The Who, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant, and others, but that's not really in the spirit of the question.

In my opinion new mainstream bands just cant cut it, I hate indie can't stand it due to the lack of spellbounding guitar work.

There are some artists who may not have had the most publicity but are simply AMAZING!:

The Answer - saw them supporting Aerosmith in Hyde Park this summer, the singer has a voice which is a cross between Rod Stewart, Robert Plant and Steven Tyler!

Black Stone Cherry - The best gig I've been to all year and it was only £10, they are what I'd call 'blues metal,' bringing southern rock/blues into the 21st Century.

Porcupine Tree - A new(ish) prog band, the drummer is now drumming for King Crimson for a while I believe.

Trivium - I'm not a fan of many of the screamer metal bands but Trivium are simply sublime, influenced by Iron Maiden, Metallica etc.

Joe Bonamassa - Amazing blues guitarist/singer, was apparently supporting BB King at gigs when he was 12! :o

Velvet Revolver - Okay not exactly young musicians but a young band, any band with Slash in is top notch in my opinion.

Heaven and Hell - Dio era Black Sabbath under another name, new songs on their new "Dio Years" complilation and a new album out next year.

And older artists 'having released an album w/in the past 2 years' I'd include are The Who, Robert Plant, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, David Gilmour and Black Label Society.

It seems that itll be a long time till GnR can be added to my list :D.

- Devendra Banhart

- The Black Keys

- Incubus

- My Morning Jacket

- Oasis

- Oh My God

- Pearl Jam

- Radiohead

- The Redwalls

- The Secret Machines

- The White Stripes

- Wilco

Oh yeah? So you liked their stuff? Awesome :)

Ah, a fellow Machines fan. I haven't heard much of them since their guitarist left. I was lucky enough to see them live when they had the original group.

- Devendra Banhart

- The Black Keys

- Incubus

- My Morning Jacket

- Oasis

- Oh My God

- Pearl Jam

- Radiohead

- The Redwalls

- The Secret Machines

- The White Stripes

- Wilco

Under the definition given for "contemporary" I could include artists like Bob Dylan, The Who, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant, and others, but that's not really in the spirit of the question.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how the SM's sound might have changed with the different personnel... I've heard so many great things about My Morning Jacket, yet I just can't get into their music... And didn't the Redwalls have a single a couple years back that sounded almost identical to the Beatles' "Ballad of John and Yoko"?

No Von Bondies? They kick some serious ass!

Soledad Brothers are one of my biggest regrets - did they have to split just when I was getting into them? :(

TWS and The Black Keys are on my list as well. And has anybody mentioned Two Gallants yet? :D

MAN, I feel ya on the Soledad Brothers. I was going to go to their last show! I had a friend with connections who was trying to find some way to get me in, since it was 18+ and I was 17 at the time. But it was not to be, since my mom didn't want me driving all the way up to Covington (I live on the other end of KY). I was SO PISSED at her.

As for the Von Bondies, I really liked their first album, but the rest of their stuff really didn't do it for me. :(

Yeah, I'm curious to see how the SM's sound might have changed with the different personnel...

Yeah, that'll be interesting to see. The early reports were that the drummer left, which I thought was the end of them because the drumming is the best part. But then it was clarified that it was the guitarist, which isn't quite as bad. It'll be the same drums, keyboards and voice with new guitar, so I'm sure we'll notice a difference, good or bad.

I've heard so many great things about My Morning Jacket, yet I just can't get into their music...

I didn't get them right away either. I had to take time to get into their kind of mood music. Wordless Chorus is a great listen if you're driving down the highway at night when there are no other cars around. Just a suggestion.

And didn't the Redwalls have a single a couple years back that sounded almost identical to the Beatles' "Ballad of John and Yoko"?

I don't know but I wouldn't doubt it. Their new album certainly has it's Beatles moments.

Yeah, that'll be interesting to see. The early reports were that the drummer left, which I thought was the end of them because the drumming is the best part. But then it was clarified that it was the guitarist, which isn't quite as bad. It'll be the same drums, keyboards and voice with new guitar, so I'm sure we'll notice a difference, good or bad.

I didn't get them right away either. I had to take time to get into their kind of mood music. Wordless Chorus is a great listen if you're driving down the highway at night when there are no other cars around. Just a suggestion.

I don't know but I wouldn't doubt it. Their new album certainly has it's Beatles moments.

What MMJ album would you recommend?

The Redwalls song I was thinking of is called "Colorful Revolution".

What MMJ album would you recommend?

The Redwalls song I was thinking of is called "Colorful Revolution".

I have It Still Moves and Z. I am a bit more partial to It Still Moves but Z has some good tracks as well.

As far as contemporary bands or artists, I just discovered Scott Matthews. Absolutely fantastic album. Can't stop listening to it. Reminds me a bit of Nick Drake but there's a lot of other things going on.

Not initially, I didn't care so much for them after the first few weeks. Then I got into 10 A.M. Automatic, and the rest came naturally.

I'm actually kinda surprised you liked them. But yeah, most people like "Rubber Factory" or favor it.

The Greenhornes

The Soledad Brothers

The Flaming Lips

The Dirtbombs

The Kills

The White Stripes

The Heartless Bastards

...etc.

You and your "The" bands... :rolleyes:

I don't know if I can separate "best" from "favorite." I always seem to have a hard time with that...

Already mentioned but I'm gonna throw them out there again:

Devendra Banhart--the man can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned

The Flaming Lips

The Black Keys

The White Stripes

And some additions:

Joanna Newsom (*This is a preemptive HUSH for the groan that I know ensues, Tripper ;) * )

Black Mountain

LCD Soundsystem

Panda Bear

Derek Trucks but not necessarily the Derek Trucks Band.........

And some honorable mentions, probably closer to favorites I suppose:

Magnolia Electric Co. for a little twang now and then

The Blow (a very recent obsession, haha)

Oh, you hush. I just don't care for Joanna. I have tried. I'm more of a Chan Marshall kinda girl myself. I love my The bands, leave me alone. hmph.

And OHMYGOD, do I see a "The White Stripes" there? I think I do. Glory glory hallelujah, I have reached you. Or maybe Jack White's slide guitar has. BUT YAY nonetheless.

You know I'll never give up hope for you and Joanna! I was trying to put some stuff on an mp3 player for my dad to take on his flight, and I really had to restrain myself from adding Joanna...

I know you love your The bands, and I was not surprised at all to see that they made up your entire list :lol:

Jack definitely got to me. How could he not. I was wrapping presents before Christmas and I Fought Piranhas came on the radio, I vocally professed my love for him, and then just kind of melted on the spot...

Archived