"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

On 7/27/2019 at 2:55 AM, Strider said:

20190726_162627.thumb.jpg.7d890397faec65c41cbdde932a167916.jpg20190726_162744.thumb.jpg.9b94a586385de5bd2adcf9aa43c3c5a5.jpg

^ This beautiful baby needs a car maintenance.
The Karmann Ghia is such an elegant car. They were quite common when I was child. I remember the sound very well:

I just saw this at the ArcLight in Hollywood. I loved it, classic Tarantino fairy tale/comic strip type imagining of the end of the old Hollywood film era. I think it's less about hippies than it is about the end if the old school Hollywood film era. It's a nostalgic fantasy about the sunset on the old studio system, and the feelings of inadequacy and irrelevance of DiCaprio's character.  A friend of mine worked on the film and said don't see the 70mm , 35 mm is the way to go. He said the 70 is a transfer from the 35 neg and because it's enlarged , it loses some of its sharpness. Also, the color balance is too blue. .apparently it wasn't dialed in as precisely as the 35mm print or the digital master. 

12 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

...I know I'll get slammed, but what a waste of two and a half hours. 

I disagree. I rarely go to new movies, but this one, to me, was worth it. I was also ticked off that the photo booth in the lobby wouldn't take my Visa card.

4 hours ago, redrum said:

I disagree. I rarely go to new movies, but this one, to me, was worth it. I was also ticked off that the photo booth in the lobby wouldn't take my Visa card.

I knew I'd be in the minority...considering the ratings the movie is getting on IMDB.  This was the first movie I was looking forward to seeing in months (I don't do "comic book movies"), and just feel so let down.  The only decent scenes in my opinion were Pitt at Spahn Ranch and of course the climax.  LOVED the scenery, the music and the dialogue - perfect for 1969 - but IMHO, the only ones to stand out are Pitt and the pit bull terrier. 

On 7/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, Stryder1978 said:

...I know I'll get slammed, but what a waste of two and a half hours. 

Naw...don't worry about it. This is QT's ninth movie. By now, you either dig his movies or you don't and his new one isn't going to change anyone's mind about him. I get why some people like his movies but I also understand why other people don't.

There are basically two movies that I was most looking forward to in 2019: "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and Scorsese's "The Irishman". 

Hopefully, Scorsese's won't be a letdown for you, Stryder1978.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Naw...don't worry about it. This is QT's ninth movie. By now, you either dig his movies or you don't and his new one isn't going to change anyone's mind about him. I get why some people like his movies but I also understand why other people don't.

There are basically two movies that I was most looking forward to in 2019: "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and Scorsese's "The Irishman". 

Hopefully, Scorsese's won't be a letdown for you, Stryder1978.

I love Tarantino movies because I love good dialogue and interaction between the characters. The way he assembles a scene pulls you in, makes you feel part of the conversation. I like Mamet's movies as well for the same reason except Mamet gives his characters and dialogue more space and more depth of meaning.

Tarantino movies are like hanging out with really messed up friends; Mamet's movies are philosophy on film.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, porgie66 said:

I just saw this at the ArcLight in Hollywood. I loved it, classic Tarantino fairy tale/comic strip type imagining of the end of the old Hollywood film era. I think it's less about hippies than it is about the end if the old school Hollywood film era. It's a nostalgic fantasy about the sunset on the old studio system, and the feelings of inadequacy and irrelevance of DiCaprio's character.  A friend of mine worked on the film and said don't see the 70mm , 35 mm is the way to go. He said the 70 is a transfer from the 35 neg and because it's enlarged , it loses some of its sharpness. Also, the color balance is too blue. .apparently it wasn't dialed in as precisely as the 35mm print or the digital master. 

I just saw the film today at the ArcLight / Cinerama Dome and was very happy with the quality of the print. To me it was well worth it to see it in 70mm as it will probably be one of the last films you will be able to see in this format. Years ago a 70mm print would only cost a theater about $1500 back when Technicolor and Deluxe were still cranking out their respective film labs here locally in Hollywood. Today I would guess that a single 70mm print probably costs around $20-30k.  This movie was shot on Kodak 35mm color negative film and I believe Fotokem in Burbank did the negative processing. For those who see it in 70mm it is bright, steady, and although slightly more grainy than a 35mm print, I would say the far better viewing experience. 

Once-Upon-a-Time-in-Hollywood-BTS-182.jp

Seems alot of moviegoers are hung up on the feet thing...

"The only thing I didn't like about the film was all the feet. It seemed he was either embracing his foot fetish to the most extreme levels, or making fun of himself. Still didn't need so many shots of it."

I didn't notice any gratuitous feet in my first viewing. I'm sure they're there. Funny how it's an issue for some.

2 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

"The only thing I didn't like about the film was all the feet. It seemed he was either embracing his foot fetish to the most extreme levels, or making fun of himself. Still didn't need so many shots of it."

I didn't notice any gratuitous feet in my first viewing. I'm sure they're there. Funny how it's an issue for some.

I really noticed it when Leo picked up the hitchhiker and they focused on her feet on the dashboard.

6 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Close-up of Margot Robbie's feet while she sleeps in bed. Another shot of Margot's feet while she is watching her movie "The Wrecking Crew" in the Bruin Theatre. Margaret Qualley (Brad's hitchhiker) puts her bare feet smack dab in the middle of the windshield (and in the middle of the screen). When Brad goes to Spahn Ranch there are multiple Manson girls with bare feet including Squeaky Fromme's (Dakota Fanning). Plus, all the shots of people walking with close-ups of their boots, shoes, sandals, whatever.

There are a lot of feet in this movie, hehe. It's almost like QT is trolling those who criticize his fetish.

3 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I really noticed it when Leo picked up the hitchhiker and they focused on her feet on the dashboard.

Brad picks up the hitchhiker. 😏 Leo doesn't do any driving in the movie because his license has been suspended after a DUI accident in front of the Frolic Room.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:23 AM, redrum said:

What was the photo booth for?

On 7/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, porgie66 said:

I have seen it three times. 35mm film at the Arclight last Monday. 70mm film at the Cinerama Dome last Friday and 35mm film at the New Beverly last Saturday at midnight.

Every print looked fine to me. I had heard some of the early 70mm screenings at the Dome had issues but whatever those issues were had been fixed by the time I saw it there. The curvature of the screen sometimes makes the image a little fuzzy on the edges, especially 70mm blowups from 35mm, and there was a little of that...it also depends on where in the Dome you are sitting.

But, without question, the film sounded the best in the Dome. Deep Purple's "Hush" has never sounded so good.

Had a meta experience at the New Beverly screening. Beforehand, we had dinner at the El Coyote and they sat us at Sharon Tate's table.

12 minutes ago, Strider said:

Close-up of Margot Robbie's feet while she sleeps in bed. Another shot of Margot's feet while she is watching her movie "The Wrecking Crew" in the Bruin Theatre. Margaret Qualley (Brad's hitchhiker) puts her bare feet smack dab in the middle of the windshield (and in the middle of the screen). When Brad goes to Spahn Ranch there are multiple Manson girls with bare feet including Squeaky Fromme's (Dakota Fanning). Plus, all the shots of people walking with close-ups of their boots, shoes, sandals, whatever.

There are a lot of feet in this movie, hehe. It's almost like QT is trolling those who criticize his fetish.

Brad picks up the hitchhiker. 😏 Leo doesn't do any driving in the movie because his license has been suspended after a DUI accident in front of the Frolic Room.

QT totally fetishes out. Grubby little hippy feet. 👣

34 minutes ago, Strider said:

My bad, you are correct sir!

55 minutes ago, Strider said:

I have seen it three times. 35mm film at the Arclight last Monday. 70mm film at the Cinerama Dome last Friday and 35mm film at the New Beverly last Saturday at midnight.

Every print looked fine to me. I had heard some of the early 70mm screenings at the Dome had issues but whatever those issues were had been fixed by the time I saw it there. The curvature of the screen sometimes makes the image a little fuzzy on the edges, especially 70mm blowups from 35mm, and there was a little of that...it also depends on where in the Dome you are sitting.

But, without question, the film sounded the best in the Dome. Deep Purple's "Hush" has never sounded so good.

Had a meta experience at the New Beverly screening. Beforehand, we had dinner at the El Coyote and they sat us at Sharon Tate's table.

I had forgotten about the Cinerama screen curvature, last film I saw there was "Quest For Fire" how long ago was that?  I had wanted to see Hateful Eight there... well, we all know how QT got screwed by that gawd awful Disney company on that deal.  Yeah, if you are seated more center the soft images on the corners of the curved screen aren't that noticeable. I saw no big problems with the quality of the 70mm print other than a few flecks of negative dirt which are common on release prints, but this one seemed pretty clean. And I happen to enjoy that slight "jump" you see at the splice points that you no longer see on digital projections.  To me it all has an aesthetic quality which digital never has; same as vinyl records over mp3.

Yes Strider, the sound in the dome was the other reason I wanted to see it there. QT's choices of music as we all know are about 25% of the creation in his films. QT always knows exactly the right song for the right moment. As he writes his screenplays he hears the songs and sees the images.... and often knows which actors he wants long before pre-production or any story boarding. I always enjoyed his story of how he acquired  for Reservoir Dogs  the song 'Stuck in the Middle" (Stealers Wheel) by pretty much begging the publisher to help him out even as he was a virtual unknown at the time. He basically spent most of his music budget on that song, but it was the best song for that scene and he knew it.

Strider, I'm surprised you went to El Coyote given the owner's politics.... hehehe!  Personally I've never liked the food there all that much. After the film I considered a dog and a beer over at Carney's but instead ended up having a Philly cheesesteak at Boo's on the corner of Fountain and Virgil. Ain't it too bad we still don't have Tiny Naylors? That was always the place to go after seeing a movie in Hollywood--- so much has changed.  Today the ridiculous numbers of street vendors taking up every inch of the sidewalk out in front of The Chinese is an absolute CRIME.  It's just too much.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:13 PM, luvlz2 said:

Deep Purple, Vanilla Fudge, Bob Seger Featured On 'Once Upon A Time,,, In Hollywood' Soundtrack: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/deep-purple-vanilla-fudge-featured-on-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-soundtrack/

onceuponatimeinhollywoodsoundtrack.jpg.586d63e98e99f2bd4270faf235868400.jpg

*******SPOILER ALERT***********

(soundtrack below)

Well since you already posted the link to the song list I'll go ahead post the soundtrack as found on youtube. If you haven't seen the film and enjoy being surprised by the music as it appears in a film don't listen. For those of us who lived in SoCal 50 years ago the songs and the radio advertisements will take you back to that time as if you are traveling in a time machine listening to KHJ 'Boss Radio' on your AM radio during that fateful summer in '69 while riding your Schwinn Sting Ray bike, skateboarding to local market to buy a ice cream, cruising down the blvd in a convertible, laying on the beach or whatever.  As odd as it seems Los Angeles was a much smaller place 50 years ago even as it was still a huge city... just so many fewer people.  If you didn't live here back then you won't appreciate this film the way some of us do.  Tarantino effectively turns back the clock for 2 hours and 39 minutes and puts us right back where we were a few weeks after we had put a man on the moon and before a band of depraved evil hippies stole any innocence that was still left in the City of Angels.

Los+Angeles+freeway%252C+1969.jpg

18 minutes ago, kipper said:

*******SPOILER ALERT***********

(soundtrack below)

Well since you already posted the link to the song list I'll go ahead post the soundtrack as found on youtube. If you haven't seen the film and enjoy being surprised by the music as it appears in a film don't listen. For those of us who lived in SoCal 50 years ago the songs and the radio advertisements will take you back to that time as if you are traveling in a time machine listening to KHJ 'Boss Radio' on your AM radio during that fateful summer in '69 while riding your Schwinn Sting Ray bike, skateboarding to local market to buy a ice cream, cruising down the blvd in a convertible, laying on the beach or whatever.  As odd as it seems Los Angeles was a much smaller place 50 years ago even as it was still a huge city... just so many fewer people.  If you didn't live here back then you won't appreciate this film the way some of us do.  Tarantino effectively turns back the clock for 2 hours and 39 minutes and puts us right back where we were a few weeks after we had put a man on the moon and before a band of depraved evil hippies stole any innocence that was still left in the City of Angels.

Los+Angeles+freeway%252C+1969.jpg

Ill watch it for sure.  I lived in LA, Rodando Beach in 1961.  Only problem was, I was only 4 years old.  1 year.  Then my wicked late grandmother somehow talked my mother and late step father to come back here.  I returned there in 2015 and met up with Sean.  I really want to go back soon.