Plant's Best Show

William Austin

Plant's Best Show  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What in your opinion was Robert Plant's best live performance?

• October 10, 1969 - Paris
    • June 28, 1970 - Bath Festival
    • August 31, 1970 - Milwaukee
    • September 19, 1970 - New York
    • March 5, 1971 - Belfast
    • May 3, 1971 - Copenhagen
    • Other (specify)

14 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

How about his best performance post-1973??? I would say 6-13-77.

I would switch that discussion to post-72. Baltimore and LA were fantastic, but other than that I can't think of many overall great shows.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:34 PM, June72 said:

I would switch that discussion to post-72. Baltimore and LA were fantastic, but other than that I can't think of many overall great shows.

I guess you are very particular as Plant sounded great for most of 77' - 80'. He was no longer sounding like his dick was caught in a coffee grinder (thank god) as he did 68'-72' but if that is what you like, more power to ya. Sure, Plant had better range in the pre-73' days but even by his own admission he was doing less actual signing and just going for the histrionics. After his throat surgery and post-75' he sounded better IMO than he did in the early days but then again, I never went for that screaming banshee shit unless a particular passage in a tune really required it.

It's all subjective

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I guess you are very particular as Plant sounded great for most of 77' - 80'. He was no longer sounding like his dick was caught in a coffee grinder (thank god) as he did 68'-72' but if that is what you like, more power to ya. Sure, Plant had better range in the pre-73' days but even by his own admission he was doing less actual signing and just going for the histrionics. After his throat surgery and post-75' he sounded better IMO than he did in the early days but then again, I never went for that screaming banshee shit unless a particular passage in a tune really required it.

It's all subjective

Sorry, I was referring to specifically '73. I love his voice from '77-'80. I find 73 to generally be one of his weakest years. You think his voice was better in '77-'80? That's fine, I'd definitely disagree. I think your evaluation of '68-'72 is rather unfair, it was all about power in those days. That's what the band was.

I realize it's all subjective, I don't think I implied otherwise (?)

On 9/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, June72 said:

Sorry, I was referring to specifically '73. I love his voice from '77-'80. I find 73 to generally be one of his weakest years. You think his voice was better in '77-'80? That's fine, I'd definitely disagree. I think your evaluation of '68-'72 is rather unfair, it was all about power in those days. That's what the band was.

I realize it's all subjective, I don't think I implied otherwise (?)

It's all good, we each have our own preferences. No worries.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, pluribus said:

Belfast 1971. One night only. By the next night in Dublin he was already singing some parts of Black Dog lower.

Sad part is, we may never know how he sounded for the rest of the tour. If he sounded as good as he did in Copenhagen after that Paris show, I'm sure he could've pulled off the full high range Black Dog some other nights on the tour. I'd kill for some soundboards of the era, but that seems unlikely. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 4:05 AM, pluribus said:

Belfast 1971. One night only. By the next night in Dublin he was already singing some parts of Black Dog lower.

I agree, that is a great night - probably the best pre-74. 

I’ve always loved his singing at the LTTE 6/21/77 show. Power, high and low range, emotional. My favorite, overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I think his voice sounded a tad stronger, in terms of timbre, in 70 vs early 71, but as far as overall performance, I'd go with Belfast. It's one of my fav shows, and hearing him sing the material from the fourth album so close to the original album versions is the kicker for me. "Rock and Roll" from this show is just ferocious.   

i guess you guys will count this? 

Im only speaking of the singing on 3songs , not the whole show etc....

2007 live @ the 02 during KASHMIR

&

2007 rehersal recording of FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!! 

ONE MORE I FORGOT

1972? Not sure of the year for sure  however,

the live video supposedly doesnt match or is a separate show mashed up to the live performance , anyway Im referring to the great Plant vocal performance of:

Immigrant Song on the Australian  live video footage!

Edited by z1inspector
Ima big dummy