1971.09.29 Remastered Soundboard

SteveZ98

Great re mixing job ,but calling it stereo is incorrect,there is practically no separation between channels.

This is a typical mono board tape from the monitor mix,only if a show was meant for broadcast or possible release would it be stereo

Edited by poundinpatrick

48 minutes ago, poundinpatrick said:

only if a show was meant for broadcast or possible release would it be stereo

Your understanding of what's possible is out of date. Here's a mono soundboard recording remixed to stereo with extreme channel separation.

Edited by SteveZ98

On 8/1/2020 at 8:46 AM, SteveZ98 said:

I'm still figuring out what to work on next. Current candidates are 5/26/73, 7/28/73, 3/21/75, and 4/27/77. What I normally do is make some trial runs on each one and then keep going on whichever one is working out best.

You'll notice there are no 1980 shows in that list. I've tried to remaster multiple shows from that tour and I can't make them sound any better, no matter what I do. They don't respond to the things that work for the other tours, so I'm not sure I'll ever get one to the point where I'd consider it worthy of release. 

Would love to see you remaster 03/04/1975 just because I don't think anyone has remastered that show yet.

35 minutes ago, Page Les Paul said:

Would love to see you remaster 03/04/1975 just because I don't think anyone has remastered that show yet.

I worked on it a long time ago. I'll take a listen to it to see if it's any good. It was before I was able to remix shows into stereo, so it will need some fixing up even if it sounds decent. For now, the 3/21/75 show is the next one I'm doing from '75. I spent some time on it today and it's going pretty well.

What you've done with these releases is amazing and, to my mind, makes the lack of new soundboard releases not so painful. Being able to generate new life to average recordings opens up Zeppelin's live music like never before. Please send me a link too. Much appreciated Steve.

1 hour ago, Jukkin said:

What you've done with these releases is amazing and, to my mind, makes the lack of new soundboard releases not so painful. Being able to generate new life to average recordings opens up Zeppelin's live music like never before. Please send me a link too. Much appreciated Steve.

Check your messages for the link. I'm not sure turning soundboards into stereo recordings will ever create something that's good enough for Jimmy to consider releasing. However, it could be sufficient for some of the stuff that was officially released in mono (BBC sessions, etc.) Those recordings already sound good and stereo versions could be worthy of a new release. I also think other bands who are less picky about sound quality will jump on the opportunity to turn their soundboards into commercial releases, so once the technology becomes more widespread they may take  advantage of it. 

On 8/26/2020 at 8:56 PM, SteveZ98 said:

I worked on it a long time ago. I'll take a listen to it to see if it's any good. It was before I was able to remix shows into stereo, so it will need some fixing up even if it sounds decent. For now, the 3/21/75 show is the next one I'm doing from '75. I spent some time on it today and it's going pretty well.

Okay. I hope either you or someone remasters it in the future.

if it’s not any trouble, could you PM me the link to the 09/29/1971 show? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 7:46 AM, SteveZ98 said:

I'm still figuring out what to work on next. Current candidates are 5/26/73, 7/28/73, 3/21/75, and 4/27/77. What I normally do is make some trial runs on each one and then keep going on whichever one is working out best.

You'll notice there are no 1980 shows in that list. I've tried to remaster multiple shows from that tour and I can't make them sound any better, no matter what I do. They don't respond to the things that work for the other tours, so I'm not sure I'll ever get one to the point where I'd consider it worthy of release. 

Hoping for Offenburg 73 remix. Your 71 snippet was great.

13 minutes ago, Mr_K said:

Hoping for Offenburg 73 remix. Your 71 snippet was great.

Thanks. I sent you a link for the show. I did some preliminary tests on a few of the '73 German shows. Sometimes things work out immediately and I can tell I can finish a show relatively easily. That didn't happen for any of those shows. I'll definitely revisit them because they're such good performances, although I'm not sure when I'll get to them. I've got a bunch of stuff about 85% done. Unfortunately, the last 15% is where the magic happens, but it's also the part that takes the most time. 

1 hour ago, SteveZ98 said:

Thanks. I sent you a link for the show. I did some preliminary tests on a few of the '73 German shows. Sometimes things work out immediately and I can tell I can finish a show relatively easily. That didn't happen for any of those shows. I'll definitely revisit them because they're such good performances, although I'm not sure when I'll get to them. I've got a bunch of stuff about 85% done. Unfortunately, the last 15% is where the magic happens, but it's also the part that takes the most time. 

Bless you, sir! 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, SteveZ98 said:

Howdy.

The 3/21/75 has recently been released in a pretty good version. Any reason you choose to work on this one? 

Also, any chance we get the remainder of the 9/29/71 show, like the full WLL. I'm listening to it as I write and appreciate your work. Darn, it's so... well... professional! I like it.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Mr_K said:

Howdy.

The 3/21/75 has recently been released in a pretty good version. Any reason you choose to work on this one? 

Also, any chance we get the remainder of the 9/29/71 show, like the full WLL. I'm listening to it as I write and appreciate your work. Darn, it's so... well... professional! I like it.

Thanks.

I'm glad your enjoying the 9/29/71 remaster. The performance is just amazing. I'm not sure if or when the rest of it will come out. I'd prefer for Jimmy to release it officially, but if that doesn't happen I'll settle for EV or another boot label putting out the rest so we get to hear all of it from the soundboard.

Regarding 3/21/75, I'd only release a show if I thought my version was different enough from what's already been released to be worth my time to work on it and other people's to listen to it. As far as I know, no one else is doing the type of stereo remixes that I am so my version of 3/21/75 will be unique in that regard. Whether anyone likes it better than other versions is up to each person, which is why I provide samples of the remasters so everyone can hear them first to see if they like them enough to download them. And even if someone else released a stereo version of a show right before I released mine and it was better than what I was going to release, I'd happily shelve mine. The only reason I do the remasters is to hear Zep in the best possible sound quality, so if someone else puts out a version that's better than mine then I'll gladly listen to theirs instead.  Winston's "The Great Love Affair" is still my go to for the 9/4/70 show even though I've done my own remaster of it, and Liriodendren's matrix of the 7/7/80 show is my favorite version of the last show with Bonzo.

Edited by SteveZ98