Eric Clapton

JethroTull

Thanks for the response!! As previously mentioned Tull's guitar player has been Martin Barre since 1969. Now for some Tull/Zep trivia. Did you know that Jimmy Page was watching (and cheering him on) Martin play the Aqualung solo in the studio during the recording session? Zep was recording Zofo and Tull was recording the Aqualung LP in the same studio.

All of you who like Derek and the Dominoes, you know that Duane Allman played about half the solos on that album, right? I just mention it because before I knew the ABB very well, I had no idea Duane played that much of it . . .

Most of the songs are in about the same order that they recorded them in. On "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad", the two of them are duelling; and after that, Duane plays almost every lead for the rest of the album!

Please,i know all your meager trivia,now the master has his useless facts to say...

1.Did you know Eric Clapton is unable to play rhythm guitar?

2.Did you know that after the YB Eric recorded many songs with Jimmy Page including the ultra-rare Draggin' My Tail instrumental jam?This stuff is worth finding,believe me.

3.Jimmy Page advanced past his guitar teachers level in one week on average,after that he had to teach himself.

4.It is estimated that Page played on 50~90% of all records in England from 1963~1965?

5.Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath once played with Jethro Tull

I've got tickets to see EC with me and my friends this summer! :yay: great guitarist,shitty person,shitty guitarist,nice person,this is how EC works unfortunately,currently he's great though (In terms of guitar,the bio sounded quite grandiose)

2.Did you know that after the YB Eric recorded many songs with Jimmy Page including the ultra-rare Draggin' My Tail instrumental jam?This stuff is worth finding,believe me.

I'm not sure how rare this is as I've seen it on several budget priced packages boasting the presence of Page, Beck and Clapton, one of which was labeled White Boy Blues.

5.Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath once played with Jethro Tull

A portion of his brief tenure with Tull can be seen during the Stones movie Rock n' Roll Circus.

To me, he's had the most distinguished career of any musician. So much great blues and the stuff with Cream was beyond words! The supposed low points in the 80's -90's were nowhere near the uninspired nonsense that many others put out - and that was just a dead period for music anyway (in my opinion, as to not hurt anyone's feelings). I never understood why he changed bands so much, but I guess that's an indication of his (reportedly) poor personality. I only saw him once, with Roger Waters pros and cons. He did nothing that night - it was disappointing, but didn't change how I felt about his past acheivements.

Eric is an amazing guitar player,but the idea that h's a "bluesman' is just crazy,he doesn't play "the blues",Zeppelin play the blues but almost none of Eric's original's follow the 12-bar pattern,Cream=Psychedelic and D&D=Blues Rock,Solo=Rock,he never played straight up blues,but he thinks he does,i've heard him do it,it's spectacular,but he doesn't write straight up blues :huh:

I held the box set edition of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs in my hands the other day but somehow I think I'd enjoy the actual album much better than a box full of alternate takes.

Oh, and for those that haven't seen Derek and the Dominoes on The Best of the Johnny Cash Show DVD, you owe it to yourselves to check it out. Not only is Derek on it but it also includes CCR, Dylan, Ray Charles, Neil Young, James Taylor and many, many others.

I like Eric .he's another person who has had his ups and downs, he spent 7 million of his own money on building a rehab, and does fund raisers to help people that can't aford it. I think other musicians do like him. I do enjoy his playing also, you can't mistake it.

• 1 month later...

Regarding my previous comment, I've come to appreciate Blind Faith as one of the greatest things to ever have happen. Short lived, yeah, but it's the same as Derek and The Dominoes. I finally got the album on CD and it left me exhausted. I just sorta wish that Clapton was lead on most of the songs, but hey, at least Skydog was in on it!

Eric is an amazing guitar player,but the idea that h's a "bluesman' is just crazy,he doesn't play "the blues",Zeppelin play the blues but almost none of Eric's original's follow the 12-bar pattern,Cream=Psychedelic and D&D=Blues Rock,Solo=Rock,he never played straight up blues,but he thinks he does,i've heard him do it,it's spectacular,but he doesn't write straight up blues :huh:

The blues ain't just a pattern.

I'm not a big fan, but I like some of his albums. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs and Slowhand are definitely my favourites. I'm not too much into Cream though, except for a few songs, I like Clapton's guitar playing but I don't dig the songs.

Was always a Fan of Clapton but not a Megafan until a couple of years ago .I believe 2004 in New Orleans .I had seen him live once before in 75 but i was proably really stoned so maybe i didn't get it but the 2004 show He was outstanding He had Doyle Branhall II and Jimmie Vaughn with him.Jimmy was alright Doyle was excellent and Eric was Amazing.Just purchased Derek and the Dominoes live at the Fillmore plan to listen to it tommorow on a short trip to Mississippi to visit some Friend's and Family.

Al, Derek and The Dominoes Live At Fillmore East is incredible. It takes a lot out of ya too! It's up there on best live albums ever.

Thanks Me and My Grandson will be jamming to it tommorow am. Hope my music doesn't warp him to badly.

I like him but he seems to play the same licks on a lot of songs. Sometimes I find his tone is so much the same on every song too.

The sound I"m taking about is the sound that he seemed to start using when he got his signature Strat.

Maybe that means I'm just not that into him.

I am a big fan of Cream. I Liked his earlier stuff better than his newer stuff. I have the Derek and the Dominoes Layla on superaudio CD with 5.1 sound. It sounds great.

I do have most of his DVDs also.

I find his tone is so much the same on every song too

Is His style...

I always thought Clapton was/is a great guitar player but I never really understood where he got such a high reputation until I really sat down & listened to the "Bluesbreakers" album this past year. My God, if all he ever recorded was "All Your Love" & "Steppin' Out" & nothing else he would still be considered one of the guitar greats. Forget his solo work & his "superstar" bands, his reputation & best work really is in that "Bluesbreakers" album.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone else here was at the Clapton concert on Saturday night. My husband and I attended and here is a brief recap:

To give you an idea of the sort of exceptional concert this was, I can say that I was moving to the music and singing along (quietly) all night (as were the other “older” fans seated near us) – that doesn’t happen at every concert I attend - when it does happen, it is a really great concert.

I am often biased when I write about certain concerts because I have a heart for British rock gods legends. My husband and I grew up with their music – and loving their music - and know how blessed we are to be able to see them live at this stage in our lives.

We loved this Clapton show because it was (at least to us) pure rock blues guitar – our favorite. After I leave a concert a good as this one was, the music is still playing inside my head - and it still is today - several days after the show.

As with last year’s show that we attended, when Clapton first takes the stage (in addition to the audience going wild - we were surrounded by several older "Clapton is God" fans and they were very cool), the thought crossed my mind that he is now old – and looks old - and I find myself wondering if he would be up for a two hour show. The moment Clapton began playing, opening the show with Derek and the Dominoes’ “Tell the Truth” , the years were erased – it could have been a night from decades ago – there is something very surreal about watching him now and realizing how many years have elapsed. In any case, Slowhand’s playing was powerful and beautiful.

I thought Clapton’s choice of songs and the order in which he played them were excellent – he played blues all night and, only at the end of the show, played the “hits” – songs that most people know him for because they have been played endlessly on “classic rock” radio stations. I can’t say if there were some people who came expecting Clapton to play his commercially successful songs all night or if, like us, they were ecstatic that he chose to play primarily blues songs. I really like that it didn't seem as if he felt obligated to play his “hits” for us.

Clapton, is an incredible blues guitarist – a master bluesman- and I hope that he is around to give us many more years of great music – rock and blues. I really like the chemistry between Doyle Bramhall and Clapton – this is the third time that we have seen them perform live together and each time the partnership seems to get better and closer.

Some of my favorites of the night: Little Wing, Outside Woman Blues, Motherless Children, Don’t Knock My Love, Crossroads (an incredible encore jam).

By the time I was first able to get to a Clapton concert in the mid-70’s, he was playing more of his commercial hits (I was too young to have attended his concerts in the late 60’s and, during the early 70’s, I seem to remember that he wasn’t touring the U.S.) so last year’s show and this weekend’s show were special treats for me because of the heavy emphasis on the blues numbers.

Glad to hear he's still delivering! We'll be seeing him next month, and are really looking forward to it. I know my wife will want to hear the "hits" that everyone else criticizes him over, and I'd love to hear more than one Cream song. Tales of Brave Ulysses would make my night, assuming he can sing it.

Glad to hear he's still delivering! We'll be seeing him next month, and are really looking forward to it. I know my wife will want to hear the "hits" that everyone else criticizes him over, and I'd love to hear more than one Cream song. Tales of Brave Ulysses would make my night, assuming he can sing it.

If you love to hear Clapton play the blues, you will really enjoy the show! We're still buzzed. Clapton did bring out the "hits" at the end: Wonderful Tonight, Layla, Cocaine, and the great Crossroads encore - so your wife should be happy too. Unfortunately, no Tales of Brave Ulysses on Saturday night - I would have loved that too! I thought Clapton's voice was in fine form. :)

Archived