1977 Noise Solo

Paulus

Some of those noise solos were a real mess, literally the mind of an addict on display. A bunch of non-cohesive ideas strung together. However, when he could pull it together some of those noise solos were pure brilliance. After all, EVH's tune Cathedral was inspired by the toggle switch technique he used in his noise solo, so much so there are a few that sound amazingly similar to what EVH would later do himself.

When you listen to the solos now, you're missing the visuals that would have made them a lot more interesting. I've seen descriptions of how amazing the spinning pyramid was (especially for that time when lasers were still relatively new), and how the transition from that into the blinding white lights at the start of Achilles Last Stand was just magical.  

4 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

When you listen to the solos now, you're missing the visuals that would have made them a lot more interesting. I've seen descriptions of how amazing the spinning pyramid was (especially for that time when lasers were still relatively new), and how the transition from that into the blinding white lights at the start of Achilles Last Stand was just magical.  

Steve you captured it perfectly.  I was at only one show and the whole 3 hours was overwhelming, including every minute of the solo.  The sound ricocheted all over Madison Square Garden, and the lasers and lights were over the top.  Nothing like listening to it on a recording out of context.  I know they seem long on the recordings, but it was what, 10 minutes out of 3 hours?   And remember, the movie had just been released the prior fall and younger fans were still reeling from seeing the bow segment for the first time.  At the show I attended the fans went nuts during the bow part especially.  But even the rest they enjoyed.  And that transition to Achilles - mindblowing !  And lest we forget, this was all after the incredible transition from WS/BMS to Kashmir.   In its full context the solo was something special. 

Edited by John M

On 12/4/2020 at 6:54 PM, Paulus said:

Did the audience of that time find it cool and enjoyable?  The Star Wars movie had just come out on May 25th.

I imagine the Noise Solos were kind of a "You had to be there" kind of thing (as eyewitnesses like Strider have said). Something definitely gets lost in translation when listening back on an audience tape fourty odd years after the fact.

And yeah, "Star Wars" must have been huge in '77, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson both started liberally throwing in "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters" quotes in some of their keyboard solos in that period.

Just listened to Jimmy's Noise solo / ALS from LTTE and it is 26 minutes of pure bliss (Noise solo was about 16:40 min). It was cohesive and well executed and at the 8 minute mark you hear Page playing what EVH would record as Cathedral four years later. So a good, cohesive, well executed noise solo, with the visuals would have been stunning and mesmerizing in a live setting.

Edited by BobDobbs

15 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I imagine the Noise Solos were kind of a "You had to be there" kind of thing (as eyewitnesses like Strider have said). Something definitely gets lost in translation when listening back on an audience tape fourty odd years after the fact.

And yeah, "Star Wars" must have been huge in '77, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson both started liberally throwing in "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters" quotes in some of their keyboard solos in that period.

You had to be there…not just visually but sonically, too. Because no tape will ever give you the full visceral auditory sensation of hearing the theremin and the bow solo vibrate the foundations of the Forum in person. The full spectrum of tones and harmonic overtones could not be captured on tape. It was otherworldly.

Anyway, I have said all this before at length…the "Star Wars" effect, the influence on Eddie Van Halen's "Cathedral", the visual effect of the lasers and smoke combined with the demon sounds of hell coming from Jimmy's bow. And the chance for those not so inclined to take a piss break and grab another beer or coke. I mean, if you are drinking a lot during a three hour concert, then at some point you are probably going to need to take a piss. Would you rather miss "Kashmir" or take a piss during the drum/guitar solos?

Plus, it allowed Plant to rest his leg and voice for the last half-hour or so finale of the show.

Adding a snippet of "Dixie" at the onset played damn well in the land of cotton. 
Who had ever heard the sonic orgasms and seen the visual magnitude of this artistry on this scale, prior to 1977?

And then to blast off into another dimension with Achilles... I wish everyone here could have experienced this live.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

THERE IT IS, the anti-EVH bias that explains those ridiculous posts.

Stating a fact is not anti-anyone, its fact. Or at least its my opinion. I am not anti-Eddie, un less I like wasting my money and time buying the albums and going to their concerts. 

Your comment is rather odd considering this is a LZ forum. Maybe you are mixed up?

2 hours ago, jabe said:

Adding a snippet of "Dixie" at the onset played damn well in the land of cotton. 
Who had ever heard the sonic orgasms and seen the visual magnitude of this artistry on this scale, prior to 1977?

And then to blast off into another dimension with Achilles... I wish everyone here could have experienced this live.

Nope, wrong, don't know what you're talking about. According to certain people it just sounded like this game designed to train monkeys back in the 80's:

Simon (game) - Wikipedia

I haven't listened to Diver Down in years, but after listening to Cathedral and then this noise solo, I can kind of hear it.  Probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me, but then again I never listen to '77 shows anyway.  However, I'm skeptical it had any particular influence on EVH, he'd probably be one of the hecklers during the noise solo.

Those that do get something out of the noise solo's - what are the better ones? (good delivery, but more importantly, good quality sounding SB or GRREAT audience source?) I want to give one a go, but one that is known to be one of the better ones. LTTE???

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Those that do get something out of the noise solo's - what are the better ones? (good delivery, but more importantly, good quality sounding SB or GRREAT audience source?) I want to give one a go, but one that is known to be one of the better ones. LTTE???

Soundboards actually aren't ideal for the noise solos IMO -- the dry tone and lack of ambiance doesn't do them any favours.  Purely performance-wise, my three favourites are, going chronologically, June 13, June 22 & June 26.  June 13 has my favourite theremin section -- really controlled and haunting.  June 22 has the best sound quality of those three, and it helps that it flows into the GOAT Achilles IMO.

9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Going off the top of my head since I don't have my Led Zeppelin notebook handy, these are some of the better ones...

April 30 Pontiac Silverdome

May 18 Birmingham, Alabama

June 13 Madison Square Garden

June 22, 23, 26 L.A. Forum

I think the Louisville, Kentucky one was one I liked, too.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:00 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

Soundboards actually aren't ideal for the noise solos IMO -- the dry tone and lack of ambiance doesn't do them any favours.  Purely performance-wise, my three favourites are, going chronologically, June 13, June 22 & June 26.  June 13 has my favourite theremin section -- really controlled and haunting.  June 22 has the best sound quality of those three, and it helps that it flows into the GOAT Achilles IMO.

I appreciate that Bonzo_fan - thanks, :thumbsup: I'll probably dive into the June 22 since it goes into such a strong Achilles. I hope the aud is not too "bootleggy"... If I'm suitably impressed, might do another couple, like what Strider has mentioned.

Cheers all....

ok so I made the mistake of going into the noise solo with the set up song - OTHAFA. My God. Must be equal to their best ever. That solo. :ohmy: I can't imagine one got better than that from all 3 but especially Jimmy. He backs himself in and goes for it. Nuts. And Bonzo and Jones are equal to the task. it just goes OFF. The noise solo was interesting and strong in places, but I understand how you really did have to be there. This recording delivers a really good idea of what it might have been like sonically, knowing what you're missing visually. And I imagine as Strider has said elsewhere a lot of people would have been glad for the piss/drinks break. But thats not to say it's to be skipped, although it does stretch. Achilles sounded fast to me, but devastating by Bonzo.

I need to go from the start of the show now, but I imagine if this is somewhere on soundboard it would be worth a fucking fortune. Imagine the remasters that could be done from this show with a clean soundboard?!?!?!

I get how a lot of you say '77 was not their best in your view, and ok, but OTHAFA. That solo was not possible in '75 or earlier. Not possible. So '77 still does hold some of (a lot of) their best. As does 1980 for that matter. But I digress, that is a different topic, and I'm rambling. 😁

On 12/11/2020 at 3:08 AM, rm2551 said:

ok so I made the mistake of going into the noise solo with the set up song - OTHAFA. My God. Must be equal to their best ever. That solo. :ohmy: I can't imagine one got better than that from all 3 but especially Jimmy. He backs himself in and goes for it. Nuts. And Bonzo and Jones are equal to the task. it just goes OFF. The noise solo was interesting and strong in places, but I understand how you really did have to be there. This recording delivers a really good idea of what it might have been like sonically, knowing what you're missing visually. And I imagine as Strider has said elsewhere a lot of people would have been glad for the piss/drinks break. But thats not to say it's to be skipped, although it does stretch. Achilles sounded fast to me, but devastating by Bonzo.

I need to go from the start of the show now, but I imagine if this is somewhere on soundboard it would be worth a fucking fortune. Imagine the remasters that could be done from this show with a clean soundboard?!?!?!

I get how a lot of you say '77 was not their best in your view, and ok, but OTHAFA. That solo was not possible in '75 or earlier. Not possible. So '77 still does hold some of (a lot of) their best. As does 1980 for that matter. But I digress, that is a different topic, and I'm rambling. 😁

Damn. You just got around to hearing the 1977 OTHAFA solos? They were definitely one of the highlights of the 1977 tour. Unfortunately, they did not add the song to the setlist until New York on the second leg. So no OTHAFA on that killer stretch of shows at the end of April. But all of the LA Forum OTHAFA solos are choice…with June 22 being the peak of the mountaintop.

Now, back to the Noise solo. Add April 28, 1977 Cleveland to the list of good ones. The audience tape has great atmosphere. Go to the 2:14:58 mark of the video.