2021 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

21 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Nice sweep of the D-Backs to keep us in 1st place or at least, tied with the Phillies (hope they get pounded tonight). Hope the roll keeps going when the O's come to Citi Field Tuesday...

Unfortunately, I don't think you have anything to worry about...

On 5/9/2021 at 7:03 PM, ebk said:

Unfortunately, I don't think you have anything to worry about...

Oh come on Esther.  He has plenty to worry about.  John Means.  I have my shirt coming.  Coming off no hitter, which should have been perfect game.  We will beat them

10 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

A great pitcher's duel tonight--I expected nothing less, especially since Stroman has the same affliction as deGrom, in that the Mets score next to nothing when they pitch...

😔

You guys were blessed to win that game  Hyde should have pulled that sack of shit Valdez and left Means in.  I get why they pulled him.  For the run which was big at the time but, pulling Means is never good when he is cruising.  Ruiz is doing us no favors. That muffed ball lead off batter in the 9th killed us. Should have been scored an error.  The Mets center fielder really put himself in harms way.  He should be told its not worth it for one play.  Running into the wall like that. I hope he is ok.  Luckily it looks padded unlike some parks. i cant believe that ball that came back on the wild pitch.  Thrown over the catchers head and it comes back in a split second to the catcher.  WTF?  Who built that fucking place?  

We need Santanders bat back and fast.  And Cody Bellinger is killing my fantasy team.  Every time the Orioles get a good team they get fucked by the big market teams.  Machado class example. Iglesias now an Angel.  More like a Devil.  

Means and Stroman pitched great yes.  National league rules killed us last night.  Useless fucking stupid shit is what it is.  Pitchers still forced to bat.  What a dumb ass rule.  Back in the 70s they should have just made the entire sport the same. DH.  I wish the Orioles would get rid of Scott.  Useless fucking relief pitcher that also fucked us last night. Early game with Harvey vs his old team today.  I think the first pitch is around noon. We had that game.  Especially after the bunt by Galvis.  Then that sack of shit Hyde has designated our closer. He is no Zach Britton.  The Bills are my only team that is not rebuilding.  We  will get you back in football.

Oh, I wonder how much the Mets paid that home plate umpire to call every fucking ball off the plate on the low outside corner a strike.  Mancini got fucked on a bunch of pitch's.  That guy is blind or bought and paid for. 

Ruiz is a BUSH BIRD

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

That was a hell of a game last night, but if you want to be a real contender come late in the season, sometimes you have to pull of those comeback wins late in the game. 

I haven't heard any updates on Albert Almora, but there's no way he didn't concuss himself after running into the wall as hard as he did. It's a good sign he was able to walk back to the dugout under his own power.

A reminder of what a funny game baseball is--Patrick Mazeika still officially has no hits, but his bat has been responsible for 2 walk-off wins....

Not surprising that the Chicago White Sox have the best record in baseball!  A team on the rise and they should take the central with the Twins sputtering.

Santander and Bellinger can not return soon enough to help their teams.

Still waiting for my John Means t shirt

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I just hope my Mets can continue to feast on the bottom dwellers from the AL East--especially since we have to play three games in that dump in Tampa & without deGrom....

Did you get a new Mets jersey this year, PC? Home or away or one of those crazy alternate jerseys?

By the way, I hate those alternate jerseys. Too many weird colour combos and names (The Land, The Town, Los blah blah blah) by sports teams now trying to gouge the fan. I DON'T need a black Angels jersey, thank you very much. The Angels colors are red, blue, and white…black is not part of their colour scheme.

I got the Jacob  deGrom royal blue:

New_York_Mets_172543.jpg

Btw, I wouldn't mind if the Mets brought back the old black jerseys they used to wear during the Piazza era. I think some of the current players were advocating for it, too. Black works for the Mets....  👍

On 5/14/2021 at 3:04 PM, paul carruthers said:

I got the Jacob  deGrom royal blue:

New_York_Mets_172543.jpg

Btw, I wouldn't mind if the Mets brought back the old black jerseys they used to wear during the Piazza era. I think some of the current players were advocating for it, too. Black works for the Mets....  👍

It breaks tradition. Blue is their color with the white and orange. Hey bongman, how is it being a Tiger fan?  As bad as being an Oriole fan I see.  

Hey bongman, how is it being a Tiger fan?  As bad as being an Oriole fan I see.  

I would say our 10 year rebuild is right on schedule.  :)  Some of the younger pitchers are just starting to make an appearance.  The outlook for position players still looks bleak.  It's pretty sad when Cabrera can't stay healthy for 4 years, and not one guy steps up from the organization to take over first base and knock him to DH.  It wouldn't take much. 

I think the saddest part of today's Major Leagues is the inability of young players to field the ball.  I'm willing to watch a 21 year old kid struggle to hit.200 for a couple years if he can field his position.  Younger players sometimes learn to hit, but they rarely learn to field.  

Everyone’s been asking me about the Yankees and I keep saying I don’t even look at the standings until June, traditionally. So I took a peek today and 2 games back isn’t bad, so far. I’ll look again after Memorial Day. 

There are some who would argue all these "no hitters" are bad for baseball, but I'm not one of them. After home runs and steroids took over for so long, it's nice to the pendulum switch to pitching dominating again. 

There are also those who say the approach of most hitters these days absolutely suck when they are at the plate--especially with the rate of strikeouts over the last several years. Maybe the modern day record for no-no's will be shattered before July...

On 5/19/2021 at 10:17 AM, paul carruthers said:

There are some who would argue all these "no hitters" are bad for baseball, but I'm not one of them. After home runs and steroids took over for so long, it's nice to the pendulum switch to pitching dominating again. 

There are also those who say the approach of most hitters these days absolutely suck when they are at the plate--especially with the rate of strikeouts over the last several years. Maybe the modern day record for no-no's will be shattered before July...

And its tough to throw a no hitter now compared to 30 plus years ago.  Back then they got away with "doctoring" the baseball and they did it often.  Lots of hair gel and foreign chemicals. And then you had guys like Wilbur Wood.  Remember him?  The knuckle baller.  You just do not see knuckle ballers any more.  Its not easy to hit a knuckle ball.  In little league and as a kid I have tried it. Its a dead ball.  The game has changed for the hitter.  So its even tougher to blow a ball by guys.  You do not see guys like Palmer or Seaver or Vida Blue that often. Or Maddox.  Maybe your boy DeGrom is the closest thing to that now.  It wont last.   Soon the ball will be in the seats often.

Going to a game today!  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And the weather is lovely!  Too bad the team isn't :D 

Still, I'm going somewhere other than the office and I'm seeing a friend who I haven't seen since the Before Times.  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!