Led Zeppelin No. 8 (my version)

I honestly don't get the hate for ITTOD. Is it their best album? No, but that doesn't mean it's their worst. At least, I don't think it is. The only alteration to I'd make is to shorten Carouselambra. I don't like the disco ending either. It's like the coda at the end of Layla in the sense that I will fast-forward to the end of the track when it gets to that point.

I would take ITTOD any day over Back in Black pt. 9.

Diversity and experimentation are the Lifesource of all true writers & musicians. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much but that's the creative process. I sure did not want to hear LZIV pt.2 or even PG pt.2 as those albums were already made. 

Rather someone try and wind up coming short vs. rehashing the same old formula over and over and over again.

To each their own though

28 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

I would take ITTOD any day over Back in Black pt. 9.

Diversity and experimentation are the Lifesource of all true writers & musicians. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much but that's the creative process. I sure did not want to hear LZIV pt.2 or even PG pt.2 as those albums were already made. 

Rather someone try and wind up coming short vs. rehashing the same old formula over and over and over again.

To each their own though

Yeah, I can respect a band venturing out, trying something different, rather than doing the same album for the umpteenth time. Sure, you do that one thing really well, but what else can you do? Not everything on ITTOD is my cup of tea, but Zeppelin could have coasted by doing LZ IV over and over again, but they didn't.

56 minutes ago, Hackenbush said:

I always look at their last album as the "Robert Plant & John Paul Jones" Album.  Its solid but different.

Pretty much but it's also the Bonzo show. This record has some of Bonzo's best drumming. He has really matured as a drummer and is utilizing complex jazz shuffle patterns, Latin & New Orleans style beats. Fool in the Rain is itself a master class in complex shuffle technique, poly-rhythms, and ghost note placement.

The main and glaring absence is Jimmy. IMO he comes across more as a session player than a composer. He has some very good solos (I'm Gonna Crawl, ITE, & FITR) throughout but it's very obvious who the writers and arrangers were.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:21 AM, BobDobbs said:

IMO he comes across more as a session player than a composer. He has some very good solos (I'm Gonna Crawl, ITE, & FITR) throughout but it's very obvious who the writers and arrangers were.

That exactly how I see it. With what the others were able to craft (the usual level of excellence in developing their ideas in the studio), Jimmy contributed his solo which matched what he had to work with. Enhanced it in exactly the way you'd expect. The four of them together - unmatched musical genius.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 6:17 AM, rm2551 said:

That exactly how I see it. With what the others were able to craft (the usual level of excellence in developing their ideas in the studio), Jimmy contributed his solo which matched what he had to work with. Enhanced it in exactly the way you'd expect. The four of them together - unmatched musical genius.

Thats the BEST Ive ever heard it put!!!

& I like to add that I LOVE in through the outdoor!  It still had the Superior majesticness, magic HAMMER POWER that no band could say their own music was better than!!!

This album also contains

“in the evening”

for god sake !!!! Like you said “unmatched musical genius!!!”

ZEP’s ITOD was “still” sO far ahead of whoever was #2!!

On 12/5/2021 at 12:31 PM, Electrophile said:

Yeah, I can respect a band venturing out, trying something different, rather than doing the same album for the umpteenth time. Sure, you do that one thing really well, but what else can you do? Not everything on ITTOD is my cup of tea, but Zeppelin could have coasted by doing LZ IV over and over again, but they didn't.

Agreed, I liked this album after the first few listens to today. Zep never coasted. It's why with each new album fans and critics were all "what's this? Where's the Zep from last album"...and then eventually "wow, this album is great". And then repeat for like every album. It would be hard for me to rank all of their albums, best to worst, when all of their albums are just so solid.

On 12/5/2021 at 4:20 PM, Hackenbush said:

I always look at their last album as the "Robert Plant & John Paul Jones" Album.  Its solid but different.

Yes, I do believe Jonesy was the first one to the studio everyday for this one, followed quickly by Plant. The others were, umm, sleeping it off still. Definitely why this song is so strongly JPJ.

1 hour ago, Mattius said:

Carouselambra is EPIC. Any Zepp fan that dislikes the track needs to take a good long hard look at themselves to see if they fall into that category any more! It's bloody fantastic!!

The only issue I have with ITTOD, and Carouselambra in particular is the mix. The production on parts of this album is just off, vocals too low in the mix, guitar too low in the mix, but keys are waaaay up there and super-bright. The ITTOD companion disc with the pre-mixed final version of Carouselambra (The Epic) is far, far superior to what was released on the album. The keys are slightly lower, the guitar is considerably more pronounced as is the bass, and you can finally hear & understand most of Robert's amazing vocals. I honestly don't even listen to Carouselambra in it's official released form anymore as I much prefer The Epic. I can only imagine what this tune would have sounded like live on the 80-81' NA tour had Jimmy gotten clean and Bonzo not passed away. I can guarantee the guitar would have been front and center along with Robert's vocals.

Anyway, I love ITTOD and think it an overall brilliant album which just suffers from poor production in certain parts. BTW, those production issues are almost exclusively in ITE & Carouselambra as SBS, FITR, HD, & IGC have excellent production. AML is really interesting as the production is not bad, it just needed more guitar and they should have left in the original Jimmy guitar coda and not cut it off.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 12/3/2021 at 10:53 PM, BrunotheMagnificent said:

side one (approx 27 mins)

In the Evening

South Bound Suarez

I'm Gonna Crawl

Ribs and Carrot pod pod

Hot Dog

side two (approx 27 mins)

Bron-Yr-Aur

Carouselambra (7:06 edit)

Wearing and Tearing

Fool in the Rain

All My Love

What’s Bron-Yr-Aur doing here? It’s already been on PG

On 1/6/2022 at 10:34 AM, Mattius said:

Carouselambra is EPIC. Any Zepp fan that dislikes the track needs to take a good long hard look at themselves to see if they fall into that category any more! It's bloody fantastic!!

I intensely dislike this argument. Gatekeeping the fandom by saying you have to like X song or if you don't like X song you're not a fan is so tedious. Let people like or dislike what they want. 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:43 AM, BobDobbs said:

The only issue I have with ITTOD, and Carouselambra in particular is the mix. The production on parts of this album is just off, vocals too low in the mix, guitar too low in the mix, but keys are waaaay up there and super-bright. The ITTOD companion disc with the pre-mixed final version of Carouselambra (The Epic) is far, far superior to what was released on the album. The keys are slightly lower, the guitar is considerably more pronounced as is the bass, and you can finally hear & understand most of Robert's amazing vocals. I honestly don't even listen to Carouselambra in it's official released form anymore as I much prefer The Epic. I can only imagine what this tune would have sounded like live on the 80-81' NA tour had Jimmy gotten clean and Bonzo not passed away. I can guarantee the guitar would have been front and center along with Robert's vocals.

Anyway, I love ITTOD and think it an overall brilliant album which just suffers from poor production in certain parts. BTW, those production issues are almost exclusively in ITE & Carouselambra as SBS, FITR, HD, & IGC have excellent production. AML is really interesting as the production is not bad, it just needed more guitar and they should have left in the original Jimmy guitar coda and not cut it off.

^ This. Also, I think Carouselambra has some of Robert's best lyrics ever. Robert guarded his privacy and liked to sing in more general terms (for the most part) during his time with Zep. But starting with Presence, he got more real, and this track specifically is as real as it gets. You can hear it in his voice as well ... powerful stuff. I sometimes wonder if his vocals weren't low in the original mix for the song as a decision made by him - keeping the mystery. He sings about some painful stuff directly related to the band, but doesn't want it clear and in your face (which he may have also considered to be a bit lame/cheesy). Keeping those dark lyrics low in the mix, in a way, is very Zep-like and suits the dark mysterious vibe of the song and album in general, A rare glimpse of the inner feelings of a band member (and through that glimpse a snapshot of the inner dynamic of the world's most mysterious band in 1978) are provided here, which the album cover also hints at. We're on the outside looking in through a very dirty window. Some of the dirt is wiped off, and we see the lone figure at the bar a bit more clearly. Still mysterious, and I'm sure clues abound if one were to look. No one played with mystery quite like Zep.

Having said all that, love "The Epic" as well, and it's also my go-to for the song.

Edited by 1975NQ

On 1/6/2022 at 9:43 AM, BobDobbs said:

I can only imagine what this tune would have sounded like live on the 80-81' NA tour had Jimmy gotten clean and Bonzo not passed away. I can guarantee the guitar would have been front and center along with Robert's vocals.

The brings to mind a question. Who was the guy or team responsible for their live sound during their tours. Was it just a steady crew of Showco guys or did they use somebody regularly like Eddie Kramer or something? I honestly don't know who was behind the board during the gigs. 

3 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

The brings to mind a question. Who was the guy or team responsible for their live sound during their tours. Was it just a steady crew of Showco guys or did they use somebody regularly like Eddie Kramer or something? I honestly don't know who was behind the board during the gigs. 

Good question, no idea. One of the true experts on here likely knows so I am sure the answer is soon to come. However, I know they used Showco from 73' on for all their production, but not sure if they had a sound engineer employed directly by the band to mix the board. That I have no clue.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:42 PM, z1inspector said:

Thats the BEST Ive ever heard it put!!!

& I like to add that I LOVE in through the outdoor!  It still had the Superior majesticness, magic HAMMER POWER that no band could say their own music was better than!!!

This album also contains

“in the evening”

for god sake !!!! Like you said “unmatched musical genius!!!”

ZEP’s ITOD was “still” sO far ahead of whoever was #2!!

That is also very well put. ITTOD was and is far superior to what was being put out at the time. There are some brilliant moments on that album which have all been mentioned. There are certain tracks which upon first listen I was not really into. But like a lot of things, as I listened  more, read lyrics, listening  to each instrument I started to appreciate those specific tracks much more. It truly is a shame that was all we got, if anything it showed their diversity, and musical genius that they possessed. 

I had ITTOD as my second or third album I purchased and was blown away at the difference between their first album and that album. They were constantly changing, growing, moving. As I got older, purchased all of their catalog, and dove into their live work on bootlegs and the live music they made available, I looked at ITTOD as the album that would have been the music playing at the end of their movie while the credits were being rolled out. Coda would have been in the deleted scenes. And I love that album as well. I also think ITTOD has some of Robert’s best lyrics. It’s a deep album lyrically. Bonham was crushing it, and some his best playing, Jimmy’s solo in I’m going to crawl is possible my favorite ever. It’s also one of my favorite vocal performances by Robert. And Jonesy was just doing what he always did, which was being possibly the best musician in the band. That man is simply amazing at every instrument, and is a brilliant arranger. 

On 1/8/2022 at 4:43 PM, Plant77 said:

That is also very well put. ITTOD was and is far superior to what was being put out at the time. There are some brilliant moments on that album which have all been mentioned. There are certain tracks which upon first listen I was not really into. But like a lot of things, as I listened  more, read lyrics, listening  to each instrument I started to appreciate those specific tracks much more. It truly is a shame that was all we got, if anything it showed their diversity, and musical genius that they possessed. 

I had ITTOD as my second or third album I purchased and was blown away at the difference between their first album and that album. They were constantly changing, growing, moving. As I got older, purchased all of their catalog, and dove into their live work on bootlegs and the live music they made available, I looked at ITTOD as the album that would have been the music playing at the end of their movie while the credits were being rolled out. Coda would have been in the deleted scenes. And I love that album as well. I also think ITTOD has some of Robert’s best lyrics. It’s a deep album lyrically. Bonham was crushing it, and some his best playing, Jimmy’s solo in I’m going to crawl is possible my favorite ever. It’s also one of my favorite vocal performances by Robert. And Jonesy was just doing what he always did, which was being possibly the best musician in the band. That man is simply amazing at every instrument, and is a brilliant arranger. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, BobDobbs said:

After comparing BOTH “In the evenings”  

in my opinion the original mix with the harder to hear or Less  understandable lyrics helps elavate that song to somthing far more than just “waiting on a no show “ to >

something POUNDING DOWN from above to us mere mortals!!! like a Kashmir or  maybey more like a

“futuristic immigrant song” battle cry!

Am I in the minority in saying that I've never had an issue understanding Robert's lyrics in Carouselambra? Granted, I'm judging by my own ears listening to just the 1993 CD remaster I purchased on Amazon many moons ago. Maybe the mix was better in 1993 as opposed to the original vinyl from 1979. Anyway, I know from the first moment I popped in the old CD, Robert's vocals came through to me as being amazingly clear & I understood everything, as the song faded into Jonesy going nuts on the keyboards & Jimmy giving some fine double-neck electric strikes & of course, Bonzo doing his usual great work on the skins.

Maybe it's just me...

Edited by paul carruthers