encore 1

Immigrant Song

Communication Breakdown

Whole Lotta Love

Encore 2

Ramble On

Thank You

Stairway to Heaven

And then the sound of sirens as the ambulances carry away Plant, Page and Jones, who collapsed from fatigue.

Carouselambra is a great song? The only problem with it is the disco feel is has in the last section, the bass guitar part in particular.

I would love to hear Tea for One. I have a recording of Page/Plant doing Tea for One and Achilles Last Stand in Japan from 96' I believe. Not too bad considering they only did it once. could have been tighter though.

And if they do Since I've Been Loving You, I hope they do it Knebworth style with Piano instead of organ, and the gritter guitar sound.

I think Carouselambra could be done, but as an abbreviated song. I think some of their songs could survive some trimming without anyone even noticing the difference. Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine has a little too much repetition in them, for instance. I'm just not sure how purist they should be when they only have 2 hours to play with.

I've tried to stay current on all the O2 gig news. Where did you hear that this is supposed to be an all electric show? Maybe this explains why no one in this thread is considering an acoustic segment. I thought surely the old boys would appreciate the opportunity to sit down for 20 minutes, and no matter your opinion on Jimmy's technique post 1975, he's always ripped on the acoustic. I would welcome a little break from the sonic assault, it will just make that much better when they plug back in!

Arguably, the acoustic stuff was pretty played out in Page/Plant. So it's not an absolute necessity. They obviously want to focus on the higher intensity stuff to show they can still pull it together.

I think Carouselambra could be done, but as an abbreviated song. I think some of their songs could survive some trimming without anyone even noticing the difference. Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine has a little too much repetition in them, for instance. I'm just not sure how purist they should be when they only have 2 hours to play with.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

Some of the riffs in ALS and Carouselambra repeat for like 8 bars or more and could easily be cut in half, saving 2-3 minutes per song to make room for another song. The repetition in those songs verges on Nirvana-like. I mean, good songs, don't get me wrong, but not every bit of them is sacred.

I would love it if they did In the Light. That is my favorite Zep song and being that they never played it live (well together at least) adds to it. The Rover would be great too along with all the classics. I think Rock and Roll is a very appropriate song to open up with.

Jimmy said they're doing a 2 hour set of classic Zeppelin songs but they couldn't do anymore because he doubted they had the energy to do more than 2 hours. When they were first approached they were asked to play for about 40 minutes only and they all agreed that would be too short. :rolleyes:

Everyone is going to the O2 Arena to see Zeppelin, even though there will be other great bands performing.

They kind of rearranged their songs though because Robert Plant can't sing that high anymore. Maybe he should wear tighter pants! Haha...I'm sure it'll be awesome!

If they are rehearsing as much as it's being reported then it all depends on how well they are playing.

It is not far fetched at all to think they could do 3 hrs. IMO.

I would have to agree with that statement. I would not underestimate the difficulty of what they are undertaking. To expect that in a "One Off" performance everything is going to go perfectly would be a stretch. I would love to see Jimmy pull runs off like he did in 73', but I would be wary of how well some of the solo's will be excecuted in certain tracks. I love the possibility of The Rover, You shook me, In the light etc. These are excellent songs and ones that lend themselves to a masterful performance by Page. The bands performance hinges on song selection because given Page's finger injury multiple note solos will be better replaced by tracks with less demand on his facility.

Openers:

1. Immigrant Song (if they can figure out a way to allow Plant to pull it off)

2. We're Gonna Groove

3. Black Dog

Epics:

4. Dazed and Confused (inc. San Francisco, no more than 10 minutes)

5. Since I've Been Loving You (inc. those awesome high-pitched wails by Plant like some of the P&P shows)

Acoustic:

6. The Rain Song

7. Going to California

8. That's the Way

9. Tangerine

10. Black Country Woman / Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

Brilliant latter Zepp:

11. Nobody's Fault But Mine

12. Kashmir

13. In My Time of Dying

Closers:

14. Whole Lotta Love (with long rock and roll medley)

15. Stairway to Heaven

16. Rock and Roll

Encore 1:

The Ocean

Houses of the Holy

Encore 2:

I Can't Quit You Baby (with some good Plant improvs, like in 1969-04-27) / You Shook Me

Encore 3:

Achilles' Last Stand (shorter than album version)

Thank You

Encore 4 (?!):

Good Times Bad Times

Very nice compilation, good choices !

According to Page, Zepp will play only 1 song at the O2 that they never played before. He called the song "really intense." I'd say they'll stay away from long songs to make room for the other favorites. So no Carouslambra. So, what song is "really intense?" How about Living Loving Maid (played only during Plant solo shows) or Wearing and Tearing (played only during Plant solo shows) ? I think it is one of those or Hey Hey What Can I Do (Page/Plant tours). Without giving the surprise away, what song has a distant connection to Ahmet and is a song they never played before? Within lies the answer ;)

g4340

As much as I love these suggestions, here is a down to earth- realistic possibility for a set-list based on past performances, songs they love and are comfortable with- as well as the 2 hour timeframe.

Rock and Roll

Sick Again

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

For Your Life

In The Evening

Kashmir

Encore:

Black Dog

Thank You

Final Encore:

Train Kept a Rollin

Personally I would make a completely different set-list with favorites from Grafitti and Presence, as well as some old favorties like I Can't Quit You or the Lemon Song- but I think this is a realistic snapshot of what we will see (or what we will hear 1 month later on bootleg!)

Hot Dog

Candy Store Rock

Whole Lot Of Love

Im Gonna Crawl

Black Dog

Poor Tom

Boogie With Stu

Gallows Pole

Tea Fro One

South Bound Saurez

Dazed and Confused

Royal Orleans

Carouselambra

No Quarter

For Your Life

Darlene

The Song Remains The Same

I can guarantee that won't be the setlist.

I'll take a crack at it.

Rock and Roll

Celebration Day

No Quarter

Black Dog (with Out on the Tiles intro)

Babe, Im Gonna Leave You

In The Light

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Thank You

Thats The Way

Good Times, Bad Times

The Song Remains The Same

Trampled Underfoot

Misty Mountain Hop

What is and What Should Never Be

Achilles Last Stand

Encore 1:

Stairway to Heaven

Whole Lotta Love

The Ocean (With Jason doing the "We've done four already...")

Encore 2:

Kashmir

First off- I am going by bits and pieces from recent magazines etc.

Jason Bonham said in Guitar World that it would be an electric set- so I am going by this. Remember all 4 could change their minds all the way up until showtime. Case in point-Atlantic 40th Records reunion in 1988. Robert all the way until they hit the stage did not want to perform 'Stairway to Heaven' but relented. They had also been practicing 'I can't Quit you babe' but didn't include it.

Jason also said they would start off with 'Good Times Bad Times' and they would be doing 'Stairway to Heaven', 'Dazed and Confused', and 'Kashmir.'

Then Jimmy said in another Guitar World interview they couldn't do a 30 min 'Dazed and Confused'-a 20 min 'Stairway to heaven'- run off stage and then do 'Rock and Roll' as an encore- it had to be a longer set to do all of what they want.

Jimmy also said one of the first songs rehearsed was ' Houses of the Holy' and then for sure they would be doing 'For Your Life' for the first time.

Then in the recent Rolling Stone article they rehearsed 'No Quarter' and 'Kashmir'

So I am going by what I have read along with what I think would be a realistic set along with what instruments I think Jimmy would use on each tune.

Good Times Bad Times- Jimmy- '58 or '59 Les Paul

Sick Again- " "

Celebration Day- " "

Robert's first words- " Sorry everyone for the delay of live activity...it's Nobodys Fault but Mine" :)

Nobodys Fault but Mine- Jimmy- '58 or '59 Les Paul

For Your Life- -Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster

In My Time of Dying- -Danelectro

Houses of the Holy- -Transperformance Les Paul

Misty Mountain Hop- -Paul Reed Smith

I'm Gonna Crawl- -'58 or '59 Les Paul

The Song Remains the Same -Gibson Doubleneck

No Quarter- -Transperformance Les Paul

Trampled Underfoot - " "

In the Evening- -Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster

How Many More Times- - '58 or '59 Les Paul

Violin Bow Solo-

Dazed and Confused- (fast part till end like Jimmy played on his '88 solo tour)

Achilles Last Stand- -Transperformance Les Paul

Stairway to Heaven- -Gibson Doubleneck

Kashmir- -Transperformance Les Paul

1st Encores:

Rock and Roll- - '58 or '59 Les Paul

Heartbreaker- - " "

Black Dog- - " "

2nd Encores:

Walters Walk- -'58 or '59 Les Paul

Whole Lotta Love- -Transperformance Les Paul

(Knebworth 8-4-79 version-but also including Theremin workout)

I think a realistic set will include the following songs for sure:

1. Good times, bad times

2. Dazed & confused

3. Communication breakdown

4. Whole lotta love

5. Moby Dick

6. Since I've been loving you

7. Black dog

8. Rock & roll

9. Stairway to heaven

10. The song remains the same

11. No quarter

12. Kashmir

Given that For your life has been jettisoned and b/c Page said with the solos in Dazed, No Quarter & Moby will be an hour total, I think there's only room in the above list for maybe 2 or 3 other songs. We shouldn't have our expectations too high.

LED ZEPPELIN frontman ROBERT PLANT wanted the group's upcoming reunion concert to be a song-for-song recreation of their historic 1970 show at London's Royal Albert Hall. The Stairway To Heaven singer felt the supergroup's 9 January 1970 concert was the best they ever played - and he wanted to revisit the show for the band's Ahmet Ertegun tribute gig in London next week (10Dec07). He tells Rolling Stone magazine, "I had an idea initially that we should do our entire Royal Albert Hall set starting with We've Gotta Groove... Just do that!" The 1970 gig he recalls was featured in its entirety on the band's 2002 DVD collection How The West Was Won and featured White Summer, Black Mountain Side, Whole Lotta Love, C'mon Everybody, and Communication Breakdown. Led Zeppelin's 10 December (07) show at London's O2 Arena marks the band's first full concert since their final show with the band's late drummer John Bonham in 1980. The group tells Rolling Stone the show will be 100 minutes long and will include band classics like Whole Lotta Love, No Quarter and Dazed + Confused, as well as selected rarities.

06/12/2007 22:26

It would be a mistake to recreate the set from the 1970 show for two reasons:

1. If Plant remembers that as their best played show ever he's only going to be left disappointed trying to recreate it 37 years later.

2. The fans would miss out on all of the great songs released on albums after 1970.

Archived