2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

10 hours ago, kingzoso said:

As much as I hope the Cardinals win a game or two against the Yankees (for your sake), it really will not make a difference for the Cardinals in the standings.  My faith in the Cardinals still has not wavered, however, with each loss, my faith in the Cardinals this year is waning.  Regardless of any future outcome(s) this season, I continue to support the Saint Louis Cardinals, in victory or defeat.

I had years of bad seasons.  Small market plus terrible owner equals failure.  The Cardinals do not go through this often to their credit.  As the old saying goes, you cant win them all.   So its likely a rebuild now for St Louis. .  I think they may re examine their pitching starting with Wainright.  Is he just having a bad year?  Could he be injured?  Or is it time to move on to a younger staff?  Much to look at I guess.  Houston takes no damn prisoners.  We have not played them yet and if we do not get out of this short funk, we will get killed by them.  We cant get Means back in the lineup fast enough and what the hell is Mountcastle still doing in Norfolk?  Get his ass back at 1st base and sit the guy filling in. We have a damn good lineup and can get it going right now. Still 17 games above 500 but this is the first 3 game skid of the season.  Losing to the Twins again is not an option. As for your Cardinals, your just going to have to chalk this season up as a bad season.  Cincinnati has waited decades to be relevant again.  They finally are.  I believe the Reds are going to beat out the Milwaukee but the Cubs cant be counted out.  I suppose neither can the Pirates who I cant figure out.  Keller is easily their best starter.   Good pitcher.  But they are not as good as Cincy.  

On 7/1/2023 at 6:42 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I had years of bad seasons.  Small market plus terrible owner equals failure.  The Cardinals do not go through this often to their credit.  As the old saying goes, you cant win them all.   So its likely a rebuild now for St Louis. .  I think they may re examine their pitching starting with Wainright.  Is he just having a bad year?  Could he be injured?  Or is it time to move on to a younger staff?  Much to look at I guess.  Houston takes no damn prisoners.  We have not played them yet and if we do not get out of this short funk, we will get killed by them.  We cant get Means back in the lineup fast enough and what the hell is Mountcastle still doing in Norfolk?  Get his ass back at 1st base and sit the guy filling in. We have a damn good lineup and can get it going right now. Still 17 games above 500 but this is the first 3 game skid of the season.  Losing to the Twins again is not an option. As for your Cardinals, your just going to have to chalk this season up as a bad season.  Cincinnati has waited decades to be relevant again.  They finally are.  I believe the Reds are going to beat out the Milwaukee but the Cubs cant be counted out.  I suppose neither can the Pirates who I cant figure out.  Keller is easily their best starter.   Good pitcher.  But they are not as good as Cincy.  

It's funny that you say that about your Orioles.  It's funny because the Saint Louis Cardinals having a bad season is almost like a foreign concept to me.  15 consecutive years with winning record over .500.  This is the worst start to a season for the Cardinals in over 100 years (or something like that).  Like you mentioned, to their credit this doesn't happen very often.  Wainwright is having a very bad year.  Not going out the way he had hoped.  It sucks because Adam Wainwright has been a beloved Cardinal for 19 years/seasons.  I think the only reason he did not retire last year with Molina and Pujols is because he wants to reach 200 wins which at the moment he is 2 shy of that feat.  That, and the fact that he is being paid $17 million this year.  The only rebuild the Cardinals need is in pitching, both starting and relief.  The core offense of the Cardinals is pretty solid, led by Goldschmidt and Arenado.  They have the capacity to score a lot of runs like they did yesterday against the Yankees.  11-4.

As for your Orioles, is this just a fluke year for them?  As far as I know, nobody expected them to be this good, this year.  Same goes for the Texas Rangers who I am rooting for in the American League.  All-Star game coming up real soon, then the second half of the season.  

Edited by kingzoso

On 7/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, kingzoso said:

It's funny that you say that about your Orioles.  It's funny because the Saint Louis Cardinals having a bad season is almost like a foreign concept to me.  15 consecutive years with winning record over .500.  This is the worst start to a season for the Cardinals in over 100 years (or something like that).  Like you mentioned, to their credit this doesn't happen very often.  Wainwright is having a very bad year.  Not going out the way he had hoped.  It sucks because Adam Wainwright has been a beloved Cardinal for 19 years/seasons.  I think the only reason he did not retire last year with Molina and Pujols is because he wants to reach 200 wins which at the moment he is 2 shy of that feat.  That, and the fact that he is being paid $17 million this year.  The only rebuild the Cardinals need is in pitching, both starting and relief.  The core offense of the Cardinals is pretty solid, led by Goldschmidt and Arenado.  They have the capacity to score a lot of runs like they did yesterday against the Yankees.  11-4.

As for your Orioles, is this just a fluke year for them?  As far as I know, nobody expected them to be this good, this year.  Same goes for the Texas Rangers who I am rooting for in the American League.  All-Star game coming up real soon, then the second half of the season.  

You are mistaken to think the Orioles are a fluke.  They are young and loaded, and look at Norfolks record.  Best in minors.  More on the way.  Westburg just called up.  Kjerstad and Holiday are coming later.  Mountcastle coming back from rehab.  Won again tonight and cut division lead to only 3.  Third best record in baseball.  17 games over 500.  Austin Hayes , Raushman, Mullins, Frazier, Santander, O’Hearn and Gunner Henderson.  Some names for you to remember.  When Means is ready in August he will make this pitching staff solid with Kremer, Wells, Bradish all pitching well.  Cano is on all star team as best set up man and our closer Bautista is in too.  They are set up to be good for years.  Ask the Yankees after last nights 14-1 pounding at the Bronx.  And you are dead wrong about them not expected to be good.  You mus  TV only see news in Missouri

So GO LOOK AT THE STANDINGS AND MY ORIOLES RECORD!!!!!  It speaks for itself.  Only Atlanta and Tampa have a better record and lets see how long that lasts.  We can win the toughest division in baseball.  Its easily  the toughest.  And I think Cincy, the revived Reds have a big shot in the Central of the NL.  Your division.  Its been a long time since the Reds were good.  The Brewers will fight them for it no doubt.  Both can get in. 

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Angels should trade Shohei Ohtani. If they don't, Ohtani will walk after this season and the Angels won't get anything in return.

Trout is sliding into useless contract albatross at this point.

However, Arte Moreno will continue to be the biggest albatross around the Angels neck. It's been bad karma ever since he bought the team.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Angels should trade Shohei Ohtani. If they don't, Ohtani will walk after this season and the Angels won't get anything in return.

Trout is sliding into useless contract albatross at this point.

However, Arte Moreno will continue to be the biggest albatross around the Angels neck. It's been bad karma ever since he bought the team.

It looks like your Angels are now pretty much on the outs in the WC race.  Sorry.  Cant overcome injuries without depth.  i wish I knew why the Orioles have not yet recalled Mountcastle from the Norfolk Tides where he was sent for a rehab assignment.  I like him alot.  And he is too damn good to remain there.  I wonder how long until Holiday climbs the ladder to the big leagues?  I doubt this year. The Orioles have plenty of depth.  Only 2 games back  in the tough AL  East.  I figured Atlanta would help us.  As for the disgruntled Mets fans here, I think you have a bit of hope.  They have started to win.  And no shame in losing a game to Blake Snell

On 7/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, paul carruthers said:

You know you're watching a bad team when you cringe whenever they load the bases, basically knowing they will fail in that situation 99.7% of the time...

:(

Not sure but if you are talking about the Mets they have started to win lately.  Other than losing to Blake Snell which there is no shame in.  Maybe they keep it going?  Not easy getting the Dodgers to start.  The Orioles get the Marlins, Dodgers and at Tampa to start the second half.  Kremer is clearly considered the ace of the staff right now.  He goes tonight vs the Marlins.  I am really hoping Means comes back ok. He should be close to rehab?  Tampa gets KC so I expect no help there.  But then they go to Texas

^^ Yes, I was talking about the Mets. Hitting with runners on base is just one of the myriad of problems facing my team. I don't know if they are going to be sellers at the trade deadline, but some kind of shake-up must be in order for this team. And you're right, things don't come any easier with the Dodgers coming to Citi Field Friday....

The Angels should murder the Yankees tonight.  Severino has major issues.  We rocked his ass but good last time.  Canning is a good pitcher for Angels.  My boys have won 8 in a row and the big bad Dodgers come in tonight.  And Hyde is sending G Rodriguez back to the mound, up from Norfolk after a month and a half rehab assignment.  He has been good in AAA.  Tonight he faces the Dodgers.  8 game win streak on the line.  I like our chances with Wells tomorrow.  Tonight?  Could be tough.  I hope the kid is ready.  Only 1 game out of first in the toughest damn division in baseball and maybe sports.  I think Boston may have tied the Yankees again.  Winning record for every team in the division.  In the AL Central all you need is a .500 record to be in first.  I see the Mets get the White Sox who may have woken up a bit?  Two wins at Atlanta qualifies.

I heard this a few minutes ago while watching High Heat, the last time the Reds play the Brewers this year is a series that starts on July 24, then they don't play each other again. Just more reason to bring back the "unbalanced schedule" and stop this nonsense about how every NL team has to play everyone from the AL in an interleague series.

It just doesn't seem right that the NL Central race may come down to 13 games, plus whoever had the better record playing the Guardians or the Angels....

Orioles kickin' ass so far tonight. I guess the only thing I have to look forward to with my team is what pieces will they sell off before the deadline, because they sure as heck ain't getting back in the Wild Card race.

I guess the Padres will have that same dilemma coming up--the worst teams money could buy...  :(