Whatever happenend to the 2007 Page Record?

Wolfgang

Well he always dodges the question i mean what is Jimmy doing right now?!!

In interviews he always says yeah theyres some demos , and other things i hav ein my mind. But nothing ever materializes. Maybe he should just stick with Zep projects :D

To be fair... I think he's had other things on his mind this year... TSRTS Reissue/Small matter of a Zep Reunion... :whistling:

I think the Zep reunion happened and the solo project was "back burnered". This is from his new interview in MOJO:

So what happens next?

I have enough material for a solo record, but I haven't recorded anything. The music has many facets to it, and a lot of character. There are some bits where you'd say, "That's definitely Jimmy", and some of it is really intense and dense. But I'm going to wait until the new year until I make any decision.

He then goes on to say that when the reunion came up he wanted to direct all of his energies towards that.

Another possibility (which probably won't happen, but very well could be true) is that Page is hoping to put the material he's written towards a future work with Plant and/or Jones. This almost certainly won't happen as Robert won't want to, but Page seems completely into reforming Zeppelin for these kinds of things.

Another possibility (which probably won't happen, but very well could be true) is that Page is hoping to put the material he's written towards a future work with Plant and/or Jones. This almost certainly won't happen as Robert won't want to, but Page seems completely into reforming Zeppelin for these kinds of things.

Agreed. Either way it sounds like we'll be hearing some new Page music fairly soon. The only question is whether it will be solo or collaborative...

I remember an interview where he said that he he was working on an instrumental album. He mentioned that it would have a theme and said something like:

I wanted to make it about the seasons, but we'd already done that with Houses of the Holy so maybe this one would be about the elements.

I'm paraphrasing here. Anyone else remember this interview? He also mentioned Stravinski in this interview.

Page is the one who seems to be wanting Zeppelin to continue the most and I guess soon after the gig a decision will made to continue or not and so in my opinion Page is seeing if any of his material can be used at the moment. A continuation seems unlikely given Plant's feelings towards it. Well have to wait and see.

IMO, the last time I heard Page play great guitar on a record or CD was on "Presence"

"Outrider" was certainly not his best work, and "Walking into Clarksdale did not have any good guitar solos at all.

It's a matter of taste, but I could not disagree more. There is great playing on all of his post Zep stuff if you listen. Even people who abhor Coverdale Page would have to admit that his playing was great.

And as far as the solos on WIC, I would count Upon a Golden Horse and Blue Train as classic Jimmy Page solos.

I think I traded WIC for some good smoke. B)

I hope it was worth it!

Seriously, I enjoy WIC, but I was a bit disappointed in it for the following reasons:

1) It seemed like "Robert music" with Jimmy on guitar. John Paul Jones's reaction to WIC was "where's Jimmy?", and I can see why he'd say that.

2) I love robert's voice to this day but some of the vocals on that CD are painful, I can't believe he was okay with them. Particularly "Upon a Golden Horse", which sounds painful to my ears.

However, having said that, Jimmy's playing is not disappointing at all. The fact that it doesn't sound "Zeppy" enough for me is the the only letdown. The other side of the coin is that you could give them credit for taking that approach. But I kind of felt like they chickened out just a tad.

I remember an interview where he said that he he was working on an instrumental album. He mentioned that it would have a theme and said something like:

I wanted to make it about the seasons, but we'd already done that with Houses of the Holy so maybe this one would be about the elements.

I'm paraphrasing here. Anyone else remember this interview? He also mentioned Stravinski in this interview.

That is what I like to see Page talking like. He hasn't got his freak on in so long! I say, bring on the weird and wonderful projects. Zeppelin is how he got his fame. Have you seen some of the quotes from him during that period? He was really out there.

Mstork, I agree about the Page as guitarist-for-Plant's-music idea. It seems that anything those 2 do together will be largely dictated by Plant. Page is usually so eager to work with him, that it seems Plant knows he has the advantage. I also agree about Plant's vocals. I think what he has done with Krauss is a good move for him, he can't belt it out anymore without people hearing the struggle. Did you hear him at the Queen tribute in the early 90's? Man, he was having a rough time.

IMO, the last time I heard Page play great guitar on a record or CD was on "Presence"

"Outrider" was certainly not his best work, and "Walking into Clarksdale did not have any good guitar solos at all.

I guess I'm the only one who liked Outrider...Emerald Eyes in one his best!!!

I hope it was worth it!

Seriously, I enjoy WIC, but I was a bit disappointed in it for the following reasons:

1) It seemed like "Robert music" with Jimmy on guitar. John Paul Jones's reaction to WIC was "where's Jimmy?", and I can see why he'd say that.

2) I love robert's voice to this day but some of the vocals on that CD are painful, I can't believe he was okay with them. Particularly "Upon a Golden Horse", which sounds painful to my ears.

However, having said that, Jimmy's playing is not disappointing at all. The fact that it doesn't sound "Zeppy" enough for me is the the only letdown. The other side of the coin is that you could give them credit for taking that approach. But I kind of felt like they chickened out just a tad.

Robert lost his mother during the sessions for WIC, which disrupted whatever momentum they had attained. He seemed to employ a "mush-mouth" vocal technique to cover gaps in the lyrics; the full on-set of writer's block took hold soonafter.

As for Jimmy, he elected to take a Dick Dale-playing approach to at least one track.

I think he seemed bored during promotional duties, looking forward to just playing live.

Robert lost his mother during the sessions for WIC, which disrupted whatever momentum they had attained. He seemed to employ a "mush-mouth" vocal technique to cover gaps in the lyrics; the full on-set of writer's block took hold soonafter.

As for Jimmy, he elected to take a Dick Dale-playing approach to at least one track.

I think he seemed bored during promotional duties, looking forward to just playing live.

Interesting about Robert, I had no idea!

Yeah, the Dick Dale sound surprised me. And don't get me wrong, I liked a lot of it, like Heart in Your Hand, but it seemed too far from Zep for my liking...

Interesting about Robert, I had no idea!

Yeah, the Dick Dale sound surprised me. And don't get me wrong, I liked a lot of it, like Heart in Your Hand, but it seemed too far from Zep for my liking...

One of the best songs on the album. On tour Robert would sing this song with more power and emotion.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, (not to mention the 2006 solo album) until I heard about the reunion and so forth.

Wasn't he also writing a book?

I can see how both of these projects would get side-tracked by a Led Zeppelin reunion.

Page hurt his finger so he had to stop recording it
:o

Hey! Be careful what you say!

I was joking around after Jimmy fractured his finger last month about this or that,

needing more practice or whatever, but

two or three days later I inexplicably slipped on a wood floor and jammed my left foot into the door sill... fracturing my little toe!

Don't take the Black Magick Curse of Led Zeppelin lightly!!!!! ..... :lol::ph34r:

Ignoring that bit about the Coverdale project mstork sums up my feelings pretty well :)

And as far as the solos on WIC, I would count Upon a Golden Horse and Blue Train as classic Jimmy Page solos.

The only part of the album which has ever bothered me is the first song.

In fact, the intro to the first song.

Is is just me, or is the acoustic guitar suddenly EQed or turned down or something as soon as the band enters? That being the first impression of the album kind of starts it off on the wrong foot, but the I found the intensity and tension of the rest to come back and give me a slap to cause me to recover from that first 'wtf' moment in the first 30 seconds of the album.

I think I traded WIC for some good smoke. B)

I hope some one will pass it on to you next time so you don't have to part company with more JP/RP music. I guess you can say that Jimmy and Robert were there and didn't let you down when you needed them. :lol:

I guess I'm the only one who liked Outrider...Emerald Eyes in one his best!!!
I like the three instrumentals:

Emerald Eyes

Rights of Winter

Liquid Mercury

Add Hummingbird to that list and you've got my vote!

:)

What do you mean by

Dick Dale-playing approach
?

Do you mean the slap-back echo and relatively clean sound he was using?

or

his playing technique?

I'm glad they didn't try to make LZII part 2. I think it showed them as mature adult musicians, rather than young rock'n'roll hooligans. :):ph34r:

Archived