Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Same here. Decades later, I find there is always something new to discover and learn about my favorite band.

"Intelligent and aware" - I like that description. :D Seriously, though, I absorbed a lot back then - probably/possibly more than I should have. :shifty:I have said it before: the band opened the world to me - not just musically but also where and how they traveled, what they read, etc. I quickly realized that I would never be content with a "small" or "narrow" life.

This is so true of my experience as well, MSG! I was too young to absorb anything directly, but when I started listening seriously to Zep again about five years ago, I felt exactly the same way--the band's intellectual and cultural openness made me see a host of different and engaging worlds. I really love them for that.

What an incredible quote! Not only do I agree with Jerry about Kerouac's books opening doors (as they did for me), it also applies to my experiences with Led Zeppelin. Thanks for that.

Yeah me too. The spirit, energy, notion of travel and sense of adventure. When art can stimulate these things in people its a good thing and -kerouac definately inspired alot of great rock music.

• 3 weeks later...
Unsolved Mystery for New Yorkers

Robert Plant Live at The Hard Rock Cafe

New York, New York

Approximately two months ago, Led Zeppelin.com Forum member Heaven Knows contacted me concerning this gig she attended in 1985 prior to Led Zeppelin's reunion at Live Aid in July 1985. This gig does not appear in any book or website, and as such remains a bonafide mystery.

Since then, several prominent New York City radio djs from that era have been contacted, with at least one distinctly recalling this event did occur, but he could not provide a date more specific than "1985".

Based on performances, public appearances and media activity I have already confirmed for Robert Plant in 1985, I believe this Hard Rock Cafe gig almost certainly occured in May and most probably during the last week of the month (over the Memorial Day Weekend).

I would welcome a confirmation of the actual date via a ticket stub, promotional item, press review or news clipping, etc. Anyone who can provide one or also attended please PM me to discuss further.

UPDATE: Solved

The Sep/Oct 1985 issue of the very obscure Plant Seeds / Firm Fans International

newsletter reports Robert Plant appeared at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City

as a special guest for Paul Schaeffer's radio show on July 28th 1985. This was in

the final days of his 1985 North American tour. Paul Rodgers of The Firm appeared

on Schaeffer's radio show the following year (April 6th 1986) during their tour.

UPDATE: Solved

The Sep/Oct 1985 issue of the very obscure Plant Seeds / Firm Fans International

newsletter reports Robert Plant appeared at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City

as a special guest for Paul Schaeffer's radio show on July 28th 1985. This was in

the final days of his 1985 North American tour. Paul Rodgers of The Firm appeared

on Schaeffer's radio show the following year (April 6th 1986) during their tour.

Nice find. But I'm a bit confused -- did Plant do a live concert for Shaffer's radio program? Or was it an interview only?

Nice find. But I'm a bit confused -- did Plant do a live concert for Shaffer's radio program? Or was it an interview only?

As I recall, she said Robert actually performed as a special guest. I'm still researching Schaeffer's program to confirm what the format was and if it aired live. I'd love to get ahold of the mastertape, if it still exists. I'm hoping Heaven Knows will post her anecdote here lest I be compelled to sift thru a 1,000 emails to find her original input.

I'm still researching Schaeffer's program to confirm what the format was and if it aired live.

Paul Schaeffer's program was apparently not broadcast live in it's entirety. For example,

a 1986 interview he conducted with Paul Rodgers was pre-recorded backstage at the

Brendan Byrne Arena. This would mean July 28th 1985 could simply be the original air

date of a performance with Robert Plant recorded earlier as opposed to a live. However, given that Robert was touring the east coast that week it's quite possible it aired live.

Rockabilly Robert: The Tall Cool One Mystery

It's fairly well-known the track 'Billy's Revenge' on the 'Now & Zen' album was a deliberate attempt at rockabilly. I note the keyboards on the track 'Tall Cool One' seem to be inspired by a sturdy, driving riff from Johnny Burnett's 1956 rockabilly classic 'The Train Kept' A Rollin' and the lyrics seem to make a passing reference to the Charlie Feathers tune "One Hand Loose" of similar vintage. If 'Tall Cool One' was in fact inspired by Robert's affinity for rockabilly it would seem to refute speculation it was merely written with the infamous Coke commercial in mind.

Paul Schaeffer's program was apparently not broadcast live in it's entirety. For example,

a 1986 interview he conducted with Paul Rodgers was pre-recorded backstage at the

Brendan Byrne Arena. This would mean July 28th 1985 could simply be the original air

date of a performance with Robert Plant recorded earlier as opposed to a live. However, given that Robert was touring the east coast that week it's quite possible it aired live.

Not sure if this is relevant or around the same time, but I do remember there being a radio broadcast where Robert was talking to Paul Schaeffer via his limo because he was stuck in traffic. I don't know if I still have it on cassette but if memory serves me (it was definitely 1985 though), he didn't make it in time. Again, I could be thinking of something else but I do know it was Paul he was speaking to via phone.

Not sure if this is relevant or around the same time, but I do remember there being a radio broadcast where Robert was talking to Paul Schaeffer via his limo because he was stuck in traffic. I don't know if I still have it on cassette but if memory serves me (it was definitely 1985 though), he didn't make it in time. Again, I could be thinking of something else but I do know it was Paul he was speaking to via phone.

Many thanks for that; it certainly sounds relevant and if accurate further substantiates the story: forum member Heaven Knows (the event attendee) said Robert made an appearance at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York and performed with Paul Schaefer. Your

anecdote suggests the show in question aired live but calls into question if the jam ever aired or only the interview, on account of his being stuck in traffic (July 28 1985). I'd

sure like to get ahold of the tapes.

Excuse me for 'bursting into this conversation', I have read all 35 pages of it with great interest! I just want add...to the topic of EVH dissing Jimmy...I knew that...but 'somehow' I also knew that EVH eventually said "I was drunk when I said that" I'm sorry I can't post any sources, I looked high and low but couldn't find anything on the internet...but I think most of us would be willing to accept that as EVH's 'excuse' and form of 'apology'....

Great discussion everyone, this is a very interesting and educational thread!! Just want to extend my thanks to all who've participated here even at the risk of being a bit of a 'target'.... :)

Excuse me for 'bursting into this conversation', I have read all 35 pages of it with great interest! I just want add...to the topic of EVH dissing Jimmy...I knew that...but 'somehow' I also knew that EVH eventually said "I was drunk when I said that" I'm sorry I can't post any sources, I looked high and low but couldn't find anything on the internet...but I think most of us would be willing to accept that as EVH's 'excuse' and form of 'apology'....

Yeah, Eddie and Jimmy are on good terms. They spent some time together in Autumn '91 when they both happened to be in Vancouver. Eddie also inducted Jimmy into the Hollywood Rock Walk in December 1993. Fast forward about ten years and Ross Halfin

says Eddie called their hotel about 50 times trying to catch up to Jimmy when he was back in town for a few days.

Yeah, Eddie and Jimmy are on good terms. They spent some time together in Autumn '91 when they both happened to be in Vancouver. Eddie also inducted Jimmy into the Hollywood Rock Walk in December 1993. Fast forward about ten years and Ross Halfin

says Eddie called their hotel about 50 times trying to catch up to Jimmy when he was back in town for a few days.

It's nice that it's 'not' a mystery that one of our hero's is not petty and unforgiving :)

Many thanks for that; it certainly sounds relevant and if accurate further substantiates the story: forum member Heaven Knows (the event attendee) said Robert made an appearance at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York and performed with Paul Schaefer. Your

anecdote suggests the show in question aired live but calls into question if the jam ever aired or only the interview, on account of his being stuck in traffic (July 28 1985). I'd

sure like to get ahold of the tapes.

If I still have them, they'd be at my parents' house. Next time I visit, I'll see if I have them and moreover, they still work!

Rockabilly Robert: The Tall Cool One Mystery

It's fairly well-known the track 'Billy's Revenge' on the 'Now & Zen' album was a deliberate attempt at rockabilly. I note the keyboards on the track 'Tall Cool One' seem to be inspired by a sturdy, driving riff from Johnny Burnett's 1956 rockabilly classic 'The Train Kept' A Rollin' and the lyrics seem to make a passing reference to the Charlie Feathers tune "One Hand Loose" of similar vintage. If 'Tall Cool One' was in fact inspired by Robert's affinity for rockabilly it would seem to refute speculation it was merely written with the infamous Coke commercial in mind.

This post jogged my memory when Plant performed "Rockin' At Midnight, on SNL back in the 80's.

Brian Setzer on guitar.

Do you have any info in your vaults Steve, about how the two got along,etc.

The stud cat and the stray cat.

I could easily picture a fine album or two from these two collaborating.Just curious.To me it seems it could have been a tight fit.

Apologies again if this horse has been shin kicked and traversed the track adnauseam.

This post jogged my memory when Plant performed "Rockin' At Midnight, on SNL back in the 80's. Brian Setzer on guitar. Do you have any info in your vaults Steve, about how the two got along,etc. The stud cat and the stray cat. I could easily picture a fine album or two from these two collaborating.Just curious.To me it seems it could have been a tight fit. Apologies again if this horse has been shin kicked and traversed the track adnauseam.

They got along famously. Robert name-checked The Stray Cats more than once in his post-Zeppelin era interviews with 'Rumble In Brighton' specifically cited as a favorite.

The Stray Cats were enjoying remarkable singles chart success at the time.

Brian Setzer joined Robert not only on the Saturday Night Live telecast (12/15/84)

but during his next two North American tours: at the Meadowlands Arena (7/23/85)

for a jam session with Paul Schaefer & Bob Mayo on 'Honey Hush' (the same night

Jimmy Page joined during the encore for 'Mean Woman Blues' and 'Treat Her Right')

and at the The Forum in Inglewood (6/14//88) with Robbie Blunt for the encore of 'Money' and 'Gambler's Blues'.

i173274446_95703_3.jpg

i173274445_25197_3.jpg

I got to know recently who a blonde woman holding the child who appeared briefly in John Paul's fantasy scene of TSRS was.

It was my long term mystery.

However why was it not Jimmy's scene but John Paul's ?

Had Jimmy acknowledged it? :unsure:

I know that the first movie director of TSRS and Charlotte were old friends.

Did he take that scene?

I got to know recently who a blonde woman holding the child who appeared briefly in John Paul's fantasy scene of TSRS was. It was my long term mystery. However why was it not Jimmy's scene but John Paul's ? Had Jimmy acknowledged it? :unsure:

I know that the first movie director of TSRS and Charlotte were old friends. Did he take that scene?

All the fantasy sequences and concert reenactments (Shepperton Film Studios, Aug '74)

were filmed by Peter Clifton, who was brought in to finish what Joe Massot had started.

Jimmy's sequence really doesn't lend itself to the depiction of any outsiders. A "double"

was used as necessary for the angles depicting both Page and the lantern-holder within

the same frame.

Scroll back through this thread for John Paul Jones' gracious personal confirmation of exactly where his fantasy sequence was filmed.

*these, not these ones

How about this one:

I saw him in Montreal with Strange sensation. He hit a MONSTER of a note during the opening No Quarter. My jaw dropped and I was stuck between laughter and awe.

If he can pit an effort like that into singing with, in comparison to James Page and James Baldwin, complete stooges, then he can totally get behind the bar with Zeppelin again.

It's always been about evolution. Get an embryonic process going, help the other three finish up the album, tweak it, jump into it and don't be afraid. It's very safe to ride into the sunset with threashing ore.

Hey ROBERT. Dwindlestraws. Don't be scared. Leo's screw things up in life by being overly defensive and relying on too much of a comfort zone. If you actually want to do this, don't expect your friends to beg, they'll just assume you don't wanna do it. 'Zeppelin? Anything is possible at any time.'

If you devote your energies to creating something with three other men wo aren't as afraid as you are to go for it, you'll feel guilty and as if you didn't belong. DON'T BE AFRAID. ROAR. GET IN THERE AND DO THE ALBUM AND THE TOUR. WE LOVE YOU, YOUR SINGING AND WHAT YOU BRING TO ZEP.

Would John want you to do it with his son? No brainer. Yes.

Do we want you to do it? Rhetorical question, still redundantly answered by a yes.

Does Jimmy want you to do it? Yup.

Does Jonesy want you to do it? YAH He said Good Times, Bad Times was his favorite song, boom from the get-go, and you all used it as an opener, cause he brings a very genuine enthusiasm to the table, a balanced one and a healthy one beyond reproach.

Does Jason want to do it? He bowed before you after the show, again, YES.

Do you want us all to start emailing individual petition signatures, signing a petition entitled 'Come hither mighty lion, let us pull the thorn fromyour ear, so you can hear'?

In other words, your solo stuff, will always be crap compared to Zep and therefore anything you do with Jimmu, John Paul and Jason will be better as well. It's like the rosetta stone translator opting to teach English as a Second Language in Japan instead of pursuing breakthrough research on newly found artifacts which could shed much light on ancient cultures. (SAJ edit: whatever the fuck that means)

Why don't you walk your talk and Shine it All Around for us? Remember that elogious speech about Jimmy? Can you say anything like that (remotely profound) about ANYBODY else you have worked with since Zep? HELL NO. Stop wasting your time. You ARE NOT STEVEN SEAGAL, STOP making B-C albums, we want the BEST OF YOU.

You aren't much without Zep and Zep ain't much without you. The understating tautology of the century, DUH AWARD 2008. So please, Robert, go out there and do the obvious, just do it only like you know how to do it. Knock us upside the head with some cool shit, some Robert Plant with Zep backing his talk up. SOME REAL MUSIC. We need it. Even if you don't tour. I WANT AN ALBUM.

93, Agape, Namaste, all the bullshit your pride feels like dismissing. When you're done mauling me, I'm still there asking you to sing with Zep!!!

ok this is about a stones song---he says he went down to the chelsea drug store and is waitin in line with mr Jimmy?

suppose he is talkin bout jimmy page and is the chelsea drugstore the chelsea towers (cloister?) where syd barrett lived? I would imagine it was a drugstore.

ok this is about a stones song---he says he went down to the chelsea drug store and is waitin in line with mr Jimmy?

suppose he is talkin bout jimmy page and is the chelsea drugstore the chelsea towers (cloister?) where syd barrett lived? I would imagine it was a drugstore.

It's a common misconception Mick is referring to Jimmy Page. He's not. He is most likely referring to James "Jimmy" Miller who produced all The Rolling Stones albums from 'Beggars Banquet' through 'Goats Head Soup'.

Mick once talked about how back when Jimmy Miller was producing them they would run a song idea by him and if he didn't like it, he would utter the word "dead". Obviously, that wasn't the response they wanted, thus, YCAGWYW!

The Chelsea Drugstore was in fact The Chelsea Drugstore, and not far from the flat on Edith Grove Mick shared with Keith and Brian.

219287_large.jpg

This pic is backstage at the Knebworth August 4th 1979.

My friend scanned it from the book.

Who is a backward woman in this pic?

Does anybody know who she is? :blink:

The scan is somewhat grainy. From what I can see she's not familiar. Does not seem to be anyone closely connected to the band or a member of the Cobbold family. There were so many acts on the bill that day -- perhaps she was part of another act's entourage. Does the book not identify her?

219287_large.jpg

This pic is backstage at the Knebworth August 4th 1979.

My friend scanned it from the book.

Who is a backward woman in this pic?

Does anybody know who she is? :blink:

Looks like Charlotte to me--she's got the same hair and is wearing the same scarf as in the helicopter photo, plus she looks quite a bit like her daughter (if it is her).