Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Does anyone really know the extent of the "note" or "letter" that Manson family member, Squeaky Fromme, wrote to Jimmy Page before a Led Zeppelin concert in Los Angeles? She asked to speak directly to Jimmy at the hotel, but was told that He was unavailable and was told to write down what she intended to say to him. From what I have read, the "letter" was thrown out before she even left the building.

She was brushed off by Led Zeppelin's publicist, Danny Goldberg. I don't recall if he specifically mentions that encounter in his book, Bumping Into Geniuses, but it's alluded to in Stephen Davis' book The Hammer of the Gods...something to the effect of the next time Goldberg saw her she was on tv after having attempted to assassinate President Ford.

Squeaky Fromme in Forum Discussion:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/11534-jimmy-page-stalker-manson-girl-to-be-released-from-jail/?hl=fromme

Danny Goldberg Interviews:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/dannygoldberg.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/music/interviews/goldberg.html

Not for certain, but it always seemed to me she was simply having her own personal "They are so far out, man!" moment as she then nods her head to the beat of the song. Then again, since they were filming with hand-held cameras she may have realized she was being filmed and it flattered her to laughter.If memory serves correct whenever an individual audience member is shown they are definitely aware they are being filmed. In any event, for me it is she among them all who epitomizes the connection Led Zeppelin made with it's audiences.

Thanks for your insight Steve!

At around 1:41 - 1:43 on Babe I'm Gonna Leave you I keep faintly hearing what sounds like a child playing - is it just me hearing things or has anyone else heard this?

Robert overdub the vocals and the voices you hear in the track when he's not singing is just Robert when they were recording the song all together singing with them.

I've covered this topic elsewhere, if not in this thread then in others. Suffice to say Robert sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of Led Zeppelin's back catalog (the original ten albums) during the New Wave of British Heavy Metal era (early 1980s). Who knew something called the compact disc would come along to compel baby boomers to replace their original vinyl again and (remastered) again? LOL. It's my understanding he still retains his publishing rights, and it's my understanding that he does receive royalties on sales of the non-back catalog Led Zeppelin albums released since 1983.

Here's an insightful feature on this topic that also discusses Jackson's purchase of The Beatles back catalog:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-hilburn-michael-jackson-sep22,0,452154.story?page=3

Thanks Steve. Robert might be kicking himself for selling his royalty rights coming from the 10 albums. LOL JPJ and JP have gotten quite rich from these royalties I would guess. Robert probably get a cut from the huge amount that is charged for one of their songs being used in a movie, etc. plus what he has made from his solo career.

Thanks Steve. Robert might be kicking himself for selling his royalty rights coming from the 10 albums. LOL JPJ and JP have gotten quite rich from these royalties I would guess. Robert probably get a cut from the huge amount that is charged for one of their songs being used in a movie, etc. plus what he has made from his solo career.

Robert has expressed some regret with regard to what he felt was the best business decision to make at the time but seems to have made peace with himself for doing so years ago.

Robert has expressed some regret with regard to what he felt was the best business decision to make at the time but seems to have made peace with himself for doing so years ago.

As an aside - he and Maureen divorced in 1983, the same year he sold his shares in the royalties. Could have been part of the divorce settlement. Just speculation on my part, but it does have some credibility. What do you think, Steve?

As an aside - he and Maureen divorced in 1983, the same year he sold his shares in the royalties. Could have been part of the divorce settlement. Just speculation on my part, but it does have some credibility. What do you think, Steve?

So far as I know it was primarily a business decision and one that he made on his own accord. He was very much focused on the future; it may well have preceeded the divorce - which was finalized in Spring '83 - but the terms of settlement have not been made public. Coda, their tenth album, completed their recording contract with Atlantic Records and was released in November 1982.

Just something on my mind, anyone know why Robert uses the Welsh flag on the boat in his sequence?

Steve: Do you know if Robert ever brought Strider out during a performance of Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp?

I thought about Robert thinking about his solo career as well; its promotion and touring.

@TheStairwayRemainsTheSame:

According to Robert, the boating as well as the sword in flames segments were filmed at Bala Lake (Welsh: Llyn Tegid) near Aberdovey in Wales. It's name means Lake of Beauty and at one time it was the largest natural body of water in Wales. As you may realize, Robert has maintained a life-long affinity for Wales. Somewhere on file I have notes from the nephew of the man from whom the boat was rented, who was apparently a local resident.

According to Robert, his fantasy sequence segment with the horse on the waterfront was filmed in Dylfe, Wales and the castle scenes were filmed of course at Raglan Castle, also in Wales.

-----------------

@pottedplant:

Not to my knowledge; he did exclaim "Strider!" (the song's inspiration) at the end of the song on at least one occasion that I recall.

Thanks Steve. There is a segment in one of the live versions of the song when Robert stops singing and the crowd starts yelling and clapping.

I thought maybe he had brought Strider out. I am sure you would have knowledge of this had it happened.

So far as I know he never brought Strider on stage nor took him on tour. If he had ever brought Strider onstage it's almost certain there would be a photograph to prove it.

Steve,

Did ANY of the band members ever have a twin sibling? Are any LZ parents still around?

Jimmy is an only child, as is JPJ. Bonham had two siblings, older brother Mick (deceased) and younger sister Deborah. Robert has a younger sister, Alison.

It's my understanding as of December 10, 2007 the only surviving parents were Joan Bonham and Patrica Page, but Joan Bonham has since passed away.

It's possible this radio broadcast is in fact the "very good audience recording" to which I referred. I don't have a recording of this performance and the Stones archivists I've contacted can't say for certain if there's any audience sources in circulation. I will attempt to confirm which station broadcast it and on what date.

Hi Steve,

I was the recording engineer that recorded this concert at really short notice, and I still have the original tapes dubbed off the reel masters by myself as reel were wiped as per MU agreements. Its from The Palais, Nottingham 5th June 1984.....the 1st one, and JP is heard on most of the 90 mins concert.

I have been trying to get this officially out via Alexis Korners Estate, but they are not interested......as would be nice to get it out for his 40th on Jan 1st 2014.

So lookng to find other avenues or sell out right to any interested party, thanks john