Queen + Robert Plant?

Bodhisattva

Remember the Concert for Freddie Mercury? When Robert performed Thank You/Crazy Little Thing Called Love? If you're scratching your head look for clips on youtube then give your opinion here.

TRULY a missed opportunity. I've got nothing wrong with Paul Rodgeres but one can't help to think: "What if?"

Robert killed Innuendo. He couldn't remember the words and kept reading them from a paper on the floor. He looked completely awkward as he finished singing it. It looked like he was aware he had made a bad performance. Robert on his performance:

Freddie had said they'd written it as a tribute to Led Zeppelin but I couldn't get my head around the words. I tried to learn them while I was on holiday in Morocco, but I ended up with a huge lyric sheet taped to the stage....I think they'll cut my performance out of the video.

Mojo Classic - Queen - The Inside Story - February 2005

Actually Queen cut it from the video.

Oh...Robert's blouse didn't add to his perfomance either. It was simply awful. <_<

But I liked Crazy Little Thing Called Love. :)

I used to have that on VHS, watched it many, many times.... and I agree with Celia. Robert was good on Crazy Little Thing, but was having trouble with Innuendo. That song is an obvious tribute to Led Zeppelin, and to Kashmir in particular.....I think that may have been what confused Robert in the end. B)

I love both of those performances. Thank you/Crazy Little thing called Love is perfect and Inuendo... was amazing I think, I think he pulled it off just fine. It was easy to see he was reading the lyrics and almost misses the mark a few times but overall, a great performance.

and as for the "blouse"... hmmm... it's definitely Robert isn't it. ;)

I'll join Celia and Otto in that I couldn't get behind Innuendo. The whole thing just felt "off" and very awkward to watch. Robert didn't seem comfortable singing it at all. Crazy Little Thing Called Love I thought was good though and he looked more relaxed with it.

That shirt.... :huh::blink::wacko:

Robert killed Innuendo. He couldn't remember the words and kept reading them from a paper on the floor. He looked completely awkward as he finished singing it. It looked like he was aware he had made a bad performance. Robert on his performance:

Freddie had said they'd written it as a tribute to Led Zeppelin but I couldn't get my head around the words. I tried to learn them while I was on holiday in Morocco, but I ended up with a huge lyric sheet taped to the stage....I think they'll cut my performance out of the video.

Mojo Classic - Queen - The Inside Story - February 2005

Actually Queen cut it from the video.

Oh...Robert's blouse didn't add to his perfomance either. It was simply awful. <_<

But I liked Crazy Little Thing Called Love. :)

Nerves, I'll bet. Innuendo Could've/Should've been awesome because

1)It's a great song..The last truly great A list Queen song.

2)I believe the ooh oooh part in the beginning is Freddie intentionally channeling a little Led

I don't care about the rest of the Robert set.. that snippet of Kashmir was straight corny, out of place and unnecessary. It was all about Innuendo and Robert blew it. T'was a miss, but life goes on.

edit: oops, posted before I read Brpslped's comment.

There is no reason that they cannot work together in the future. Hell...record some studio versions of those songs mere less some new ones and some other cover songs as well. What's stopping them from simply kicking ass?

There is no reason that they cannot work together in the future.

Well no, but I can't see it happening somehow. If Robert is reluctant to revive Zeppelin I'm sure he won't want to be the new Queen singer! Besides, Queen currently work with Paul Rodgers - who, like Robert is far more blues based than Queen are.

I think they (Q&PR) missed a trick on their tour a few years ago - Paul could have really had a good bash at some of Queen's earthier songs, such as 'It's Late', but instead we got the 'greatest' hits, unfortunately a lot of the cheesier 80's stuff included. I hope the forthcoming new album will be more like it, although the recent single was rather bland...

Well no, but I can't see it happening somehow. If Robert is reluctant to revive Zeppelin I'm sure he won't want to be the new Queen singer! Besides, Queen currently work with Paul Rodgers - who, like Robert is far more blues based than Queen are.

I think they (Q&PR) missed a trick on their tour a few years ago - Paul could have really had a good bash at some of Queen's earthier songs, such as 'It's Late', but instead we got the 'greatest' hits, unfortunately a lot of the cheesier 80's stuff included. I hope the forthcoming new album will be more like it, although the recent single was rather bland...

"It's Late" is a great song, and one of my most favorites. And you're right, performing that song would have been a great idea, and a nice treat for those of us who are old time fans. :D

I hate to sound negative, but I would love it if this whole "Queen" thing stopped as soon as possible, regardless of who they decide to team up with. -_-

Let's face it, learning lyrics has never been Robert's strong point, even when he wrote them. :rolleyes: I did like his performance on Crazy Little Thing, though.

P.S. I love the blouse, I used to have one similar. :bagoverhead: Also the charm bracelet.

Brian May still looks exactly the same!

Well the whole point is that it is Queen + somebody so that they can perform either by themselves or with someone else so there are no excuses as far as I am concerned. Hell...I look forward to Queen recording with Robert Plant over the next few years when he starts recording and touring with Led Zeppelin again fo' sho'!

I hate to sound negative, but I would love it if this whole "Queen" thing stopped as soon as possible, regardless of who they decide to team up with. -_-

I agree. I'm an old fan (saw them with Freddie a few times) and get embarrassed about how eager Brian & Roger are to use the Queen name - such as with the '5ive' debacle etc. I quite enjoyed the gig I saw in 05 with PR, but it didn't feel like a Queen concert at all. I don't mind them doing it, I just wish they'd use another name.

I agree. I'm an old fan (saw them with Freddie a few times) and get embarrassed about how eager Brian & Roger are to use the Queen name - such as with the '5ive' debacle etc. I quite enjoyed the gig I saw in 05 with PR, but it didn't feel like a Queen concert at all. I don't mind them doing it, I just wish they'd use another name.

Yes! I've been saying exactly the same thing for ages now! But, sadly, I guess there are a lot of reasons they're using the Queen name - the recognition factor among them. Still, I kind of wish they'd left Queen in the past and gone on to other things.

Archived